List Mgmt. List management for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

We have about 9 defenders on our list right now, with O'Shea possibly 9th.

I would have been happy with trading him or Jonas out and keeping Stewart, but we didn't so keeping him and Jonas should be fine.

Not much value in delisting them and having to draft more back flankers to ensure we have enough depth in defense IMO.

C'mon guys. The criticism of O'Shea on this forum is getting out of hand. IMO he plays his role. He is more reliable than Clurey in a 1 on 1, leaves his man to spoil (reading the play) better than most of our defenders and (even if sometimes he punches when he could have marked) its worth having him purely for the fact he gets to contests he should never get to. His gut running is commendable and at his best he provides hugely valuable rebound. Not only do i think he should stay on the list, but he should be in our back 6 in round 1!

Hell, O'Shea ahead of Spud Clurey AND Spud Jonas for me.

End rant.

Why? You could say the same thing about Lobbe, Hammer et al.

Cam is now at the stage where he is on the verge of being the backup to the backup defender. Like Butcher, we are better off cutting off our losses and taking a chance on a kid. The fact that no club showed interest in him during the trade period says a fair bit. His sub standard footy IQ has hurt us many times.

Fair play to Cam though, he isn't that far off 100 AFL games.

I've always been a fan of Everitt however he has never found his niche in the league as yet.

If we were a top 4 side I'd be keen to take a chance but not where we are at as a club right now.

C'mon guys. The criticism of O'Shea on this forum is getting out of hand. IMO he plays his role. He is more reliable than Clurey in a 1 on 1, leaves his man to spoil (reading the play) better than most of our defenders and (even if sometimes he punches when he could have marked) its worth having him purely for the fact he gets to contests he should never get to. His gut running is commendable and at his best he provides hugely valuable rebound. Not only do i think he should stay on the list, but he should be in our back 6 in round 1!

End rant.
Oh no you bloody did not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End rant.

Complains about O'Shea criticism being over the top, then bags two other players.

Getting tired of the over sensitive reaction. It's list management time. People's perceived flaws (as footballers) get harped on as well as their strengths. That in itself needs to not be a problem. But one person throws a spud and then we all end up in a chip fight...

Cam is a unique blend of effort and clanger. His clanger and FA/FF ratio just this year bear that out and he provided surprisingly few rebounds (less than Clurey or Jonas per game) for a player of his type. His I50 stats are predictably better than the other two but still less than 2 a game this year. The only 1 on 1's Cam deals with effectively are when he sets up at high speed and turns a contest into an intercept spoil. Body on body, Jonas or Clurey any day. Jonas is a unique blend of stopper and over-the-topper. Can stop tall and small, only the craftiest small forwards get away, but needs to think a bit more before impacting on a contest. Clurey is a bit duller than both in so far as you can judge an 18-gamer, 3 years younger than Jonas and 2 years younger than Cam; his worst and his best may turn out kinda close together, like Paul Stewart's. Reliable but not incredible. Plenty of rebound; few I50s.

Of those three I'd let Cam go, especially if there's a DFA available who might actually play all 22 games and change things up significantly in the middle of the ground, instead of a bloke sitting on the list who seems to have found his ceiling and who mostly won't play if we're doing well and OK injury wise. It's a reasonable argument, coz it contains reason. No "spud" throwing required.

Hey, I like Cam. So have a look at these:

..... No point in O'Shea being good at rebounding when he just turns it straight back over with his crap disposal......
You can see his disposal, on both feet, is quite reasonable.

....... His sub standard footy IQ has hurt us many times....
I know they're highlights, but he does seem to make good position and know what to do when he gets the ball.

.........Of those three I'd let Cam go, especially if there's a DFA available who might actually play all 22 games and change things up significantly in the middle of the ground, instead of a bloke sitting on the list who seems to have found his ceiling ....
His best football ('ceiling') was in 2013/14, where he played some very good footy on the HBF and Wing, at the age of 21/22.
Where he should have still been improving, he's gone backwards at a rate of knots and is very 'panicky' when he has the ball - why??

And it's not just O'Shea. Very few of our list has improved since 2014, with a fair number regressing.
A 2013 O'Shea would currently be in our best 22. With the expected improvement of a player between the ages of 22 & 25, next year O'Shea should have been in a lock in our best 22.
If the coaches can start to get the best out of the entire list, we may see a new 'ceiling' for O'Shea, and that can only be good for the team.

wonder what cam would be like reading the play up forward?
Tallish, can run and move well. create some pressure in the forward half. havent seen him kick at goals but his kicking isnt shocking....
cant see it going any worse then trengrove up forawrd

I would like us to move Cam on. Id be happy to use a late pick on a replacement like Hinge who may or may not become better than Cam. I just think we hold onto players too long. Let it go. If they go somewhere else and play decent footy so be it.

Somehow, I think we will keep Cam.

I also think it is time for Westy to man up and play as a permanent lead up forward. I love the Hoff, but we need a forward more than we need a floaty utility. Its not like he is still a skinny kid and it means Dixon will only be double teamed not triple teamed.

Geelong have moved on 13 players on their list so far. We are being a little conservative perhaps. It maybe says something about this draft.

Geelong have moved on 13 players on their list so far. We are being a little conservative perhaps. It maybe says something about this draft.

Or maybe it says something about Geelong's list and where they see the game heading.

Brad McKenzie (NM) delisted today along with Joel Tippett. Brad's an Adelaide boy with an elite kick but doesn't fill a need for us as a back flanker. A former pick #11.
back flanker
back flanker
back flanker

back flanker

Welcome to the Port Adelaide Football Club Brad McKenzie

Brad McKenzie (NM) delisted today. Brad's an Adelaide boy with an elite kick but doesn't fill a need for us as a back flanker. A former pick #11.
Went to school with him so I hope he gets another chance. I don't think we'll be interested though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back