List Mgmt. List management for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Off loading some of our fringe players for late 2nd rounders could potentially land us someone like a Nankerivis as bulk low picks are benaficial do Sydney to land academy players.

Then allowing us to trade Lobbe for a high end pick to take to the draft without going in to next year with only 1 AFL ready ruckman.

Last edited:
You'd have said the same about Lobbe in 2014 when he was no.1 tackling ruckman in the comp, 2nd in pressure acts etc. etc.

Pittard is replaceable. DBJ gives plenty of run, Krak reads the play and is a much cooler head.

Gotta trade big to get big.
No way
Cant see any logic
Trading for the sake of trading

Trading to maybe hopefully get domeone as good but statistically unlikely
I suppose it is a bigfooty blog and not to be taken seriously thank god

I think one of Young, Neade or Monfries won't be on our list next year. Can imagine clubs making an overs offer for Young just based on the great year he's had. Less so with Neade sadly.

Can't wait to see Palmer at AFL level too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that perhaps delisting Monfries would be the 'wrong kind' of ruthlessness. I'm not against him not receiving another contract on paper, but i'm not sure it's a good move culturally and "vibe" wise.

Good decision by the club, I believe still has good footy to offer us.
He's hardly past it. He's 2 months younger then Betts FFS. And showboater or not, no one here would seriously say he's past it due to his age (as some have tried to paint Monfries).

I agree that perhaps delisting Monfries would be the 'wrong kind' of ruthlessness. I'm not against him not receiving another contract on paper, but i'm not sure it's a good move culturally and "vibe" wise.
As long also as it's one year. And I still want both Monfries and Ryder to come out and say they made a mistake sticking with the Essendon players rather than cutting their own deal. Or at the least heap some more s**t on the Bombers publicly for the whole saga. Stop placating those bunch of arseholes. We get enough of the 'oh Essendon are so hard done by' by Gil.

We need to trade Wines. Cant kick, handballs to players under the pump.or directly to oppo players, can kick a set shot from 25 out. Number one in the AFL for clangers.

He would have some.value and we could get another 1st rounder and a decent player i reckon.

Dnt get me wrong his in and under work is awesome. But he cant do.ANYTHING with the ball. Tbh quite sick of seeing him play horrible week in week out and him.not coping anuthing from the fans. His skills are no better in fact probably worse than K.Mitchells

.....Granted he needs to work on his disposal but no way should we trade him. Madness.

Agree but would take much further.

We should put a stack of senior players on the trade table and look to trade 2 or 3 that give us the best possible draft picks. The delistings then depend on who (if any) were traded.

On the trade table for me would be:
- Jonas (Might as well keep don't think his trade value is worth pursuing. Solid versatile medium tall)
- Young (for a really good offer) (Interesting one. Had him pegged as traded this time last year. Definitely think his trade value vs true value could be in favour of a trade, meaning we get a trade overs especially if we think he's just had a good half a year and may not go on with it next year with Monfries back)
- Ebert (Keep, playing his heart out atm.)
- Sam Gray (Open to offers, would take ANY pick <50)
- Ah Chee (Open to offers, would take ANY pick <50)
- Toumpas (Keep, no trade value and is good depth.)
- Polec (Keep, trade value way down on potential. Would persist anyway.)
- O'Shea (Trade TRADE! Disposal is terrible, younger defenders are going past him. Get a pick 25-35.)
- Lobbe (Trade. Just doesn't have enough presence around the ground and his ruck work doesn't compensate enough. Hope for a pick 20-30 from a Richmond.)
- Hoff (Keep. Our tall forward stocks are Dixon. Westhoff. Aging Schulz. Butcher. ACL Howard. We can't afford to trade Westhoff even though he's frustratingly inconsistent within games let alone across a season.)
- Neade (Keep. Probably just doesn't do enough but isn't worth anything in a trade and also is our only genuine small crumbing forward.)
- Broadbent (Another very interesting one. I really like Broady and I think he's comfortably in our best 22. BUT. I prefer Krakouer and DBJ as small defenders to play on dangerous small forward and to provide rebound and are much faster so that our defense isn't so slow. Broadbent has a booming kick but Krakouer is calm in a crisis and plays the QB role just as well as Broady but when he can also play on players like Rioli and Stringer he's gold. Pittard is clearly our best rebound defender with the best mix of good skills, long clearing kick, pace and leadership. So for me a mix of DBJ, Pittard and Krakouer compliments our team better than substituting Broady in for one of those. Therefore I believe we could trade him out without effecting our first team but net us a good draft pick to draft or trade for a player we need more like a key forward. Trade.)
- Clurey (Keep. Would trade Carlile and O'Shea first. Good depth to bring in if one of Hombsch/Trengove/Jonas are injured. He's a good combination of size, endurance and speed to make a solid player to bring in to play a few roles.)
- Amon (Open to a decent offer. I like Amon but just seems like he lacks urgency and ruthlessness to hunt the ball and not be beaten. Would trade for a nice pick.)

Would trade but realistically no value / Delist based on who gets traded:
- Carlile (Trade. Take whatever we can get. Some club might be desperate enough to offer us a 3rd rounder.)
- Stewart (If he keep playing reasonably well he might just be worth a token pick! If not delist.)
- Hoon (Delist. Just doesn't have good or unique enough tools to break through.)
- Butcher (Delist. He isn't the answer. Open to another year just for depth purposes.)
- Schulz (One more year unless his body is cooked. Has been less than inspiring so far but could be much better with a preseason.)
- Krak (KEEP. Is in our best 22 and has no value to anyone else anyway.)
- Kane Mitchell (Delist. Not good enough.)
- White (Keep. No value with two injury interrupted seasons. Electric pace is a point of difference our midfield needs.)

Would trade but realistically nobody would take on contract:
- Hammer (Keep. Frustrating yes. But the wrong decision to trade when we have Carlile, Lobbe, O'Shea, Broadbent we can trade out first without weakening our best team so much.)

Not for trade:
- Boak
- Wines
- Pittard
- DBJ
- Hombsch
- Austin
- Trengove
- Robbie
- Chad
- Ryder
- Dixon
- Impey (Would be open to a decent offer. I love his run and energy but I can't help but feel his skills and decision making really badly let him down. It's like he does something flashy, tears away from an opponent then turns it over. Happy to keep him on as I see a bit of Jasper in him and with time could be a great swingman from small back to forward that would give us great flexibility. It's almost if we could just combine Amon and Impey to make one great highly skilled, very quick forward, back flanker instead of two who are almost there but may always have frustrating deficiencies they never really overcome.)
- Dougal

No opinion as I've never seen them:
- Palmer, Frampton, Johnson, Snelling, Hewett, Houston, Bonner

If we traded a few of them, even for 2nd / 3rd rounders, we at least increase our odds of finding some draft gold.

Heard a stat on the radio the other day that Pittard is second in the AFL (not at the club, in the whole damn AFL) for metres gained behind only Dangerfield. He's our best running defender by a mile. He may well be the best running defender in the league, let alone our best defender.

So many people not understanding how you make your team better at the trade table. I suppose suggesting trading out a Wines or Pittard is less stupid than the 'O'Shea, Colquhoun and our 3rd for Buddy Franklin' type deals that some BF boards throw around, but it still misses the point. 'You have to spend big to get big' is true, but that doesn't mean you trade out your best performing players for a particularly nice looking set of magic beans. You look to trade out guys whose reputation exceeds their consistent performance (Lobbe last year), or who are good players but are surplus to requirements (O'Shea in 2014, although he's spudded it up ever since), or who are currently in form that we don't believe they'll be able to sustain (Thurstans after the GF, or Sam Gray last year). Those are the guys who you can actually improve your list by trading out, rather than affecting change for the sake of change. Those are the sort of guys who Hawthorn built a premiership list by trading out at the right time.

Reputation exceeds performance? Hartlett. Good player surplus to requirements? Broadbent or Carlile. Player in good form that they may not be able to sustain? Aaron Young. Those are guys who we could trade out for a net gain. You don't get net gains by trading out the likes of Pittard and Wines.

This is a sensational post! Absolutely spot on! The knack of list management is being absolutely honest to yourself of what a player on your own list is worth so that any offers for them you know if they're overs or not. So if a decent offer was given to us for Ah Chee or Gray last year we should have assessed it with the realistic view of whether their value had been inflated by a good end to the year which was only 4-6 weeks of football in reality. By the same token we should understand that Monfries value will be at it lowest until he plays again and we remember again why he's so important so why would we gift another team such a good player now by not offering him another contract. Often the key is identifying players who are down on form so their value is down but who you think can excel under a new environment or at your (our) club specifically. But it has to be an honest assessment of the player otherwise it can be a disaster like with a few of the trades last trade period; Yarren, Menzel, Bennell, Selwood, Redden.

If you're trading for a player in form you're likely to get less value for them but it's still worthy it if they're a star or fill a need like us with Dixon. Problem is balancing potential with substance of performance, you don't want to end up with a Boyd deal.

wasnt sure where to ask but how is Bonner coming along? Obviously hasnt played a game yet but is he doing any good in the 2s? I was a big a fan of him last year

We need to trade Wines. Cant kick, handballs to players under the pump.or directly to oppo players, can kick a set shot from 25 out. Number one in the AFL for clangers.

He would have some.value and we could get another 1st rounder and a decent player i reckon.

Dnt get me wrong his in and under work is awesome. But he cant do.ANYTHING with the ball. Tbh quite sick of seeing him play horrible week in week out and him.not coping anuthing from the fans. His skills are no better in fact probably worse than K.Mitchells

Don't feed the tr... oh I'm too late.

I think one of Young, Neade or Monfries won't be on our list next year. Can imagine clubs making an overs offer for Young just based on the great year he's had. Less so with Neade sadly.
Can't wait to see Palmer at AFL level too.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young has signed up till the end of 2017 so he not going anywhere .. and he said....
“I’ve been really happy with my new role in the team and I couldn’t be happier to be staying here, I don’t want to play anywhere else,“
Neade has signed a new two year deal and Ken did say he wants Angus back at Port..

wasnt sure where to ask but how is Bonner coming along? Obviously hasnt played a game yet but is he doing any good in the 2s? I was a big a fan of him last year
I know Essendon were very keen on him surprised they didn't take Bonner at 29? His development has been very good, defensive and contested game has improved noticeably. His last 3 weeks have been excellent and his last game was his best for the year. I expect he will push for selection in the coming weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back