List management - retirements

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
In light of how north and hawthorn have managed the retirement of their players. I was wondering how you guys felt about our handling of the situation.

I personally think there's still room for sentiment in the game. I know we're in the business of winning premierships, but if it involves screwing over champions of the club, and players who have put everything on the line for the club, then that doesn't sit well with me.

While people cite goodes going on in 2015 as the reason we lost Membrey, I still think he deserved the right to go out on his own terms, even in hindsight.

A player like kennedy, I would absolutely support him making the call on his own career. He's given everything for the club and has performed under every circumstance and has been an absolute warrior his whole career. I would not be impressed with the club if he was shown the door against his will.

Of course the caveat here is players who are no longer performing and are no longer best 22. But if a champion is being pushed out in the pursuit of youth, then I'd be against the move. I just feel as though certain players earn the right to call time. JPK is certainly 1 player I'd put in that category. I'd expect hanners to reach that level as well.

Last edited:
Hanners withour doubt..Say what you want about his foot skills or his tendency to turn it over, but this guy punishes himself for this great footy club.

has already put his body on the line more than what is required for someones entire career and hes only 25. would bleed for us and i couldnt be prouder to call him a swan. Parker in the same category

Gotta love the way hanners goes about it. Not only puts his body on the line but absolutely goes hell for leather whenever he is on the field. Looks absolutely spent whenever he goes to the bench, and he has a huge tank, so that says something about his work rate.

Hanners pretty much calls his own shots on/off the field due to his personal drive and determination so you'd think he'd be given the choice on his own career.

I like the sentiment.

How far do we take it? Does a champion get to play even when it hurts the side? Or are we simply agreeing to give them a spot on the list as a depth position?

Did we do the right thing by ROK forcing him into the NEAFL? I doubt he saw it that way.

The North model is appalling. That club is a rabble from president to boot cleaner.

I think you can argue letting sam mitchell go was a soft way to cut him. Nice golden parachute. But it clearly isn't policy at the Hawks to simply let their champions go out as they please as Lewis has found out the hard way when he tried to extend his career elsewhere.

I like the sentiment.

How far do we take it? Does a champion get to play even when it hurts the side? Or are we simply agreeing to give them a spot on the list as a depth position?

Did we do the right thing by ROK forcing him into the NEAFL? I doubt he saw it that way.

The North model is appalling. That club is a rabble from president to boot cleaner.

I think you can argue letting sam mitchell go was a soft way to cut him. Nice golden parachute. But it clearly isn't policy at the Hawks to simply let their champions go out as they please as Lewis has found out the hard way when he tried to extend his career elsewhere.

Rumor is he'll get to Melbourne.

In answering the original post, we should treat veterans like okeefe,mlet them play if good enough, if not let them retire.

Lets just deal with it on a case by case basis based on how the player is travelling. Should we have given Drex a send off. No. Should we have given Ted a farewell game. No. You need to earn games wether your 20 or 33

Agree

So far I am pretty happy with the way our club has been dealing with these situations. It's impossible to set hard and fast rules as there are too many variables to be taken into consideration when dealing with peoples lives. In lots of circumstances, I imagine that all the relevant information will not be provided to the fans &/or public, so we would really only be speculating. Overall, I trust our club to deal with these situations respectfully, but to still put the best interests of the team and the club first... which is how it should be in any job.

It's difficult to compare, so many players are different. As great as Hanners, JPK and Parker will be regarded, Goodes was just in a different league entirely. I had no issue with him playing on in 2015 because he was still one of our best players and even in 2016 when our forward line was functioning better than recent years, I reckon we were still missing Goodes' creativity.

With re to Hanners and Parker, they are the two bravest footballers in the whole comp and I'll tell any Hodge or Selwood or Bulldogs fan that.

You can't preach & boast about creating a great club culture to your youngsters coming through the system, at the Club Best & Fairest night, only to cut & send some of the best players ever for your club, out on a bitter note.

Sure, it may sit well with Sam Mitchell that he has extended his career but the damage to the culture for the remaining Hawk players must be significant going forward & can rob that club of that very ingredient of unity that is called upon when challenging for a p'ship. The Doggies certainly had unity no matter what happened throughout the year. So much so the umpires wanted to be a part of their culture that day!

I actually think the 2nd half of the season decline and straight sets exit caught the Hawks by surprise somewhat, they were sitting pretty 2 games clear on top when they resigned Mitchell and co. I think they underestimated exactly how lucky they were sneaking in all those early close games and they are now reacting to the lack of competitiveness. I think this is why they have been a little desperate this trade period.

Notwithstanding that, I hate to say it but kudos to them for not just continuing on with the sinking ship. Might not be best for them short term but think a little pain now is way better then the whole lot of pain in 12 months time.

If anything it just got to show how professional and leading edge our club is, we never get ourselves in these type of situations we are the masters of list management and rejuvenation.

This is going to be pretty crucial over the next couple of years. We have so much young talent that we will need to turn a few older players over whether we like it or not.

I think the writing is on the wall for McVeigh in regards to form and Jack by way of depth in position. I think they'll need a tap on the shoulder at the end of 2017. Grundy, Nick Smith and Kennedy are probably the next few in line.... IMO no one is bigger than the club but I don't want to see the same crap that has been dished up by North and Hawthorn from our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going to be pretty crucial over the next couple of years. We have so much young talent that we will need to turn a few older players over whether we like it or not.

I think the writing is on the wall for McVeigh in regards to form and Jack by way of depth in position. I think they'll need a tap on the shoulder at the end of 2017. Grundy, Nick Smith and Kennedy are probably the next few in line.... IMO no one is bigger than the club but I don't want to see the same crap that has been dished up by North and Hawthorn from our club.

JPK is 28 o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back