List Management - Trading and Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, and I love that he has that mentality, but he still needs to decide when it's appropriate and when it's not. There have been so many times where there's an easy handball to a player in space and instead he opts to take on four blokes and try and do it all himself. Griff learned it, and Koby needs to, which is my point. He takes the hard road too often for my liking, and that includes trying to take on too many players sometimes.

Dannnnnn, do you not think that given how little time on field he got while with the Eagles KS feels he needs to prove himself? And to make himself seem an indispensable part of our midfield, especially in the wrecking ball role, given we clearly lack anyone other than Clay who fills that function?
With a midfield of Wal, Libba, Griff, Coons and Boydy we need someone who is a hard bodied pack smasher. Yes we have Will in there, but we also need a small/mid with enough pace, and the ability to bust packs open.
I suspect that that is the type of player he feels [ or the coaches encourage him] he should be. If that means occasionally he gets caught trying to break out by bursting things open, perhaps that is a price he and or the coaches are willing to pay.
Otherwise why else did we trade him in?

I think dogs fans have forgotten how good koby was in the middle parts of the year. He loves the contest, is excellent overhead and is a big big body in midfield. His last few games were poor, but he has been an excellent pick up for us. We also forget how inexperienced he is and how much development he has in him. No doubt there will be players like him available for the saints in trade week this year. Highly recommend.
Yeah I think people forget how young and inexperienced he still is. Not everyone is Libba :p I think it's great that he tries to take the game on as we need another player like that in the middle (although Stringer will be awesome soon!) I think he will be a very important part of our future.

Imagine if we get Crameri, Patton and White. All three. Imagine how good our forward line would be then.
Oh come on people
This trying to find quick fixes is how melbourne fc got the selves where they are
If we got crameri, Patton and white we would be insane

Any chance we could offer pick four, and a player or players, for Patton and another player? If so, who would you aim for? Hypothetically, pick four and Cordy, Wood, and Williams for Patton and Adams? Remember it is just an example guys.

I know Macca wants to draft young players, so is there any homesick GWS players we could try and land in a package that appeals to you all?

Any chance we could offer pick four, and a player or players, for Patton and another player? If so, who would you aim for? Hypothetically, pick four and Cordy, Wood, and Williams for Patton and Adams? Remember it is just an example guys.

I know Macca wants to draft young players, so is there any homesick GWS players we could try and land in a package that appeals to you all?

I would go for that deal. But it honestly rips off GWS and I highly doubt they would go for it. Say that we offer Wood and pick 4 for Patton, that means we're giving Cordy and Williams for Adams.

I do like the general idea of trading some players + pick 4 for Patton and a player, but I personally can't think of a deal that would work for both parties.

Dannnnnn, do you not think that given how little time on field he got while with the Eagles KS feels he needs to prove himself? And to make himself seem an indispensable part of our midfield, especially in the wrecking ball role, given we clearly lack anyone other than Clay who fills that function?
With a midfield of Wal, Libba, Griff, Coons and Boydy we need someone who is a hard bodied pack smasher. Yes we have Will in there, but we also need a small/mid with enough pace, and the ability to bust packs open.
I suspect that that is the type of player he feels [ or the coaches encourage him] he should be. If that means occasionally he gets caught trying to break out by bursting things open, perhaps that is a price he and or the coaches are willing to pay.
Otherwise why else did we trade him in?
Of course and I've never said that he's a bad player or anything like that, just mentioned that it's something he needs to work on. Taking the game on is great but he needs to learn when the safe option is the best option.

So far we have picks 4, 22, 40, 58 and 76

Pick 4 and Wood to GWS for Patton and 37
Pick 22 for Crameri

So we end up with 37, 40, 58 and 76.
I would be looking at using 76 on a free agent or getting a young player like Young.

Addison free to leave as a free agent, would hopefully give us another 3rd round pick. Howard to be traded if possible.

Move Higgins to the back line.

FB: Morris, Roughy, JJ
HB: Murphy, Talia, Young
C: Griffen, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Dahl, Jones, Hunter
FF: Gia, Patton, Crameri
R: Minson, Libba, Cooney
INT (from): Grant, Higgins, Boyd, Stringer, Campbell, Dickson, Smith, Hrovat, Picken

Jones to play as 2nd ruck some games, Campbell as others.
Gia to be replaced in side by another midfielder when he retires.
Young to move into the 3rd tall role when Morris retires, replaced with a better rebounder.

I think (if bob and moz stay fit) that Goodes and Young will be fighting for the same position next year.

I'd like to see Young really work on his tackling and watching the hips. Seems to get stepped too easy then his lack of pace is exposed.

Goodes to work on disposal under pressure. Otherwise love the above back line. Also like to see Talia start to step up and take second best forward with Morris onto third.

Although I'm not overly keen on Scharenberg, a 3 tall set up down back with Roughy, Talia and Scharenberg would be pretty damn good. And Scharenberg would still have one of the best in the business (Morris) to learn off for a couple of years. That's if he didn't make the step up to the midfield, which if he does even better! Worst case scenario at our pick is one of Kelly or Scharenberg will be there, I can live with that :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm having some real giggles looking at some of the Land of Giants proposed forward set ups. I can assure you all that if we netted either or Patton or Crameri, getting the other is going overboard, and moreso, if Gumby & White remain in the picture. We cannot fit Jones, Campbell Grant Crameri Patton Cordy Stringer Williams Roberts & Gumby or White all into the one team One wag suggested White Patton & Crameri could all fit in !! We don't want to go all tall and limit the applied forward pressure or the potential use of smalls/mids of Dickson, Hunter, Gia, Murphy, Higgins, Dalhaus etc. "They'll rotate through the mids" I hear you say. OK, so now we are limiting game time for Griff, Libber, Wally, Boyd, Coons, Stevens, Hrovat, Macrae, Prudden, (that's already NINE mids), with Smith later in year. Too many tallish forwards if we recruit more than one, especially if we compare with our tallish defenders. After Talia and Roughy, we have Austin !! Young & Morris are mid sized who play tall at a pinch.

I'd love it if we could lock away our 1st trade early (Patton or Crams preferred), then address running mid and defence shortfalls. You can't get a quart of milk into a pint sized bottle !

I don't see GWS trading Patton.

Re: Crameri, I think that if he nominates to come to us, and the Bombers are being really difficult, his manager will remind them that he has the potential to just walk away from the club and go for nothing to the Dogs.

Don't really see that as fair, and I am sure pick 22 will be the price for Crameri - if he wants to come to us...

This trying to find quick fixes is how melbourne fc got the selves where they are
If we got crameri, Patton and white we would be insane
If we got a mid sized lead up forward who runs through the midfield, we wouldn't need a stay at home FF like Patton?
Disagree completely.

Does everyone think Jones is a lock in our forward line for the next 10 or so years?
If we get Patton and Crameri, you could still make room for Jones in the forward line, but would it be better without him?
Comparing Forward lines. Both teams have Dahl in the midfield, Hunter on the interchange bench and Gia as sub.
Without Jones:

CHF: Dickson, Patton, Crameri
FF: Stringer, Campbell, Grant

With Jones:
CHF: Dickson, Jones, Crameri
FF: Dahl, Patton, Grant

I am a big fan of Jones. Think he is the only decent key position forward that we have been able to develop in years.
However Macca showed that he isn't a lock in our starting line up every week and at times played for Williamstown and the dogs persisted with a Campbell and Grant headlined attack.

I have always thought that we just needed one forward to our line up. But if we got Crameri and Patton is that saying that maybe Jones isn't the answer?
I think its great that we aren't just settling on our forward line. And there will be competition for spots. I still think Jones can be our CHF of the future, but if we get Patton and Crameri, its going to be hard to fit all our tall timber in the forward line. Campbell needs to start getting games under his belt.

How can we fit Patton, Jones, Campbell, Crameri, Stringer, Dickson and Grant in the same forward line. Not to mention Higgins (who probably will be traded), Williams, and then our crumbers in Hunter and Dahl.

People have mentioned Jones playing CHB before but think he is suited more as a forward role.

Roughy could pinch hit in the ruck while minno is in forward line, and throw Grant back meaning no need for Campbell. Or Jones pinch hits in the ruck.

Its a good dilemma to have but its definitely worth pondering about. Good thing is Dickson, Grant, Stringer, Dahl, Hunter and Campbell have showed can play in multiple positions.

Does everyone think Jones is a lock in our forward line for the next 10 or so years?
If we get Patton and Crameri, you could still make room for Jones in the forward line, but would it be better without him?
Comparing Forward lines. Both teams have Dahl in the midfield, Hunter on the interchange bench and Gia as sub.
Without Jones:

With Jones:

I am a big fan of Jones. Think he is the only decent key position forward that we have been able to develop in years.
However Macca showed that he isn't a lock in our starting line up every week and at times played for Williamstown and the dogs persisted with a Campbell and Grant headlined attack.

I have always thought that we just needed one forward to our line up. But if we got Crameri and Patton is that saying that maybe Jones isn't the answer?
I think its great that we aren't just settling on our forward line. And there will be competition for spots. I still think Jones can be our CHF of the future, but if we get Patton and Crameri, its going to be hard to fit all our tall timber in the forward line. Campbell needs to start getting games under his belt.

How can we fit Patton, Jones, Campbell, Crameri, Stringer, Dickson and Grant in the same forward line. Not to mention Higgins (who probably will be traded), Williams, and then our crumbers in Hunter and Dahl.

People have mentioned Jones playing CHB before but think he is suited more as a forward role.

Roughy could pinch hit in the ruck while minno is in forward line, and throw Grant back meaning no need for Campbell. Or Jones pinch hits in the ruck.

Its a good dilemma to have but its definitely worth pondering about. Good thing is Dickson, Grant, Stringer, Dahl, Hunter and Campbell have showed can play in multiple positions.

Would like to get Patton , to be FF, I think that Stringer could be the Crameri role if we really need it, with Dickson who could play that role as well. Crameri would be insurance for not getting Patton, DO NOT WANT Gumby.

Without Jones:

With Jones:

Would like to get Patton , to be FF, I think that Stringer could be the Crameri role if we really need it, with Dickson who could play that role as well. Crameri would be insurance for not getting Patton, DO NOT WANT Gumby.

It's a good problem to have, having too many players to fit in the forward line.
Also agree I don't want Gumby. I think Campbell can play that FF role better than Gumby.
Maybe the dogs are trying to ease Stringer in. Maybe Dicko is a stop gap. So Dicko might play a lot of games next year but by 2015, Stringer will surpass Dicko. Dicko will become the Addison role I think by 2015. Think Crameri is better than him. Dicko can come in is a injury/rest to a stringer, Crameri, Grant. Will still get 15 or so games I reckon.
So in 2015 I forward line would look like this:
CHF: Stringer, Jones, Crameri
FF: Hunter, Patton, Grant

Dahl by then will be a permanent midfield player to give us dash.
Minno will be 30 by then. Maybe Campbell becomes our number 1 ruck. Minno should still produce but a Campbell in 2015 will be bloody exciting.

Not sure if anyone's suggested this but why don't we try to get a trade for Shane Kersten from Geelong? Exactly the same size as Crameri, only 20, been on Geelong's list a couple of years, good mark, long straight kick and would come a lot cheaper than Crameri.
Josh Walker wouldn't be bad get either but I think Geelong would not consider giving him up.

I was just looking through some players not getting games at other teams and I came across Luke Mitchell. 198cm 96kg key forward from Carlton. Has only played one game and has had a few shoulder injuries which have stifled his development. I can't see him being retained by Carlton. I was a big fan of his when he was drafted and still think he's got a lot of potential, and he's still only 21. Would come very, very cheap. Anybody have thoughts on him?

FB: Morris, Roughy, JJ
HB: Murphy, Talia, Young
C: Griffen, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Dahl, Jones, Hunter
FF: Gia, Patton, Crameri
R: Minson, Libba, Cooney
INT (from): Grant, Higgins, Boyd, Stringer, Campbell, Dickson, Smith, Hrovat, Picken

I really like this team.

But if we can get Crameri and Patton I'd be trading Grant to try and get back a pick between 20-30. Grant, Stringer, Campbell, Dickson, Smith, Dahl, Jones, Hunter, Gia, Patton and Crameri are simply to many capable guys up forward. I can't see Higgins playing in the backline next year due his injuries and mobility problems. I see him as a Gia type forward for at least the next season and maybe even his career. Whilst Stringer will move up field more I imagine he will still spend a lot of time up forward like a lot of young guys.

How many players on average play games in their first season? 3-5 guys per team?

Where are we going to play 3-5 new kids next year who aren't on our list yet?

Not sure if anyone's suggested this but why don't we try to get a trade for Shane Kersten from Geelong? Exactly the same size as Crameri, only 20, been on Geelong's list a couple of years, good mark, long straight kick and would come a lot cheaper than Crameri.
Josh Walker wouldn't be bad get either but I think Geelong would not consider giving him up.

We've been rumoured to be interested in Kersten, we'll see what happens.

I was just looking through some players not getting games at other teams and I came across Luke Mitchell. 198cm 96kg key forward from Carlton. Has only played one game and has had a few shoulder injuries which have stifled his development. I can't see him being retained by Carlton. I was a big fan of his when he was drafted and still think he's got a lot of potential, and he's still only 21. Would come very, very cheap. Anybody have thoughts on him?

Shoulder injuries have really stuffed his career up. His marking is nowhere near as good as it once was, a bit like Cordy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back