List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ive been thinking lately what would happen if our year ended dismally, and we failed to get into the top 4 and were an early exit from the finals.
Its safe to say that after this yr we will lose Johnno, Aker and Eagleton and the next yr will lose a couple more.
But with a few kids showing something, if this did happen, would it be worth looking to the future a bit? If we fail miserably this year, it would be hard to win it next year.

So would it be worthwhile looking to offload someone like Hahn, Hargrave, Addison etc. We may be able to get a couple of alright picks while they still have value. This would be used to build the team up in 4-5 years time.

Our team in 4/5 yrs (on exposed form):

FB: Harbrow , Lake, Morris
HB: Wood, Williams, Moles
C: Ward, Boyd, Picken
HF: Reid, Jones (??), Everitt
FF: Hill, Grant, Higgins
R: Roughy, Griffen, Cooney
INT: Gilbee, Minson/Cordy, Libba, Wallis

(counting in the father sons too, who from all accounts will be guns)

Looks like a good team. Lake, Morris, Boyd and Gilbee would all be 32 or so, but i figure a few out of our current 27/28 y.o. group will stay on and these are the most likely.

Ive been thinking lately what would happen if our year ended dismally, and we failed to get into the top 4 and were an early exit from the finals.
Its safe to say that after this yr we will lose Johnno, Aker and Eagleton and the next yr will lose a couple more.
But with a few kids showing something, if this did happen, would it be worth looking to the future a bit? If we fail miserably this year, it would be hard to win it next year.

So would it be worthwhile looking to offload someone like Hahn, Hargrave, Addison etc. We may be able to get a couple of alright picks while they still have value. This would be used to build the team up in 4-5 years time.

Our team in 4/5 yrs (on exposed form):

FB: Harbrow , Lake, Morris
HB: Wood, Williams, Moles
C: Ward, Boyd, Picken
HF: Reid, Jones (??), Everitt
FF: Hill, Grant, Higgins
R: Roughy, Griffen, Cooney
INT: Gilbee, Minson/Cordy, Libba, Wallis

(counting in the father sons too, who from all accounts will be guns)

Looks like a good team. Lake, Morris, Boyd and Gilbee would all be 32 or so, but i figure a few out of our current 27/28 y.o. group will stay on and these are the most likely.

It is a good thread and you make some really good points.

The club is trying to win a premiership this year picking the best 22 each week, but IMO they will and should up the ante on playing the young talent next year and look to get more games into them. They really need to try and get 30 or so games into our young talent so we can have another crack at a flag ASAP.

The really good thing about our club is that we have drafted well in recent years even when we have been in premiership seeking mode, so there is a lot of hope ahead. Even if we don't reach the mountain this year, there is still a lot to look forward to,especially with our young talls.

With your point about trading Hahn, Addison and Hargrave, TBH I don't think they would have too much trade value. Hahn and Hargrave havn't got a heap of football left in them, and Addison is a great trier but his kicking skills may decrease interest from other clubs.

I think there will be a few retirements(forced or voluntary) at the end of this year, so there will be quite a few spots open up for our younger players who can't get games now.

No doubt the drafting and list management has been really good. We're really well covered in the mid-field (Cooney, Griffen, Ward, Picken, Higgins, Reid, Wallis, Libba) and in the talls department (Roughy, Cordy, Jones, Grant).

The defense is a slight concern, and I worry a little about our speed. I know they went for Markovic and Mulligan as long term replacements for Lake, so hopefully one of those guys will emerge down the line. Speed is something we may be able to address via a trade at the end of the year.

All in all though, a really really good job done of the succession planning and list management. Makes for a very competitive and successful squad long term.

The defense is a slight concern, and I worry a little about our speed. I know they went for Markovic and Mulligan as long term replacements for Lake, so hopefully one of those guys will emerge down the line. Speed is something we may be able to address via a trade at the end of the year.

All in all though, a really really good job done of the succession planning and list management. Makes for a very competitive and successful squad long term.

Good point.Pace is a slight concern for me also. But the advantage for us is that it is easier to draft quick midfielders or running players that it is to draft quality KPP's. And it takes a lot less time to develop them and for them to have impact also. IMO it is better to have a shortage of young quick mids then a shortage of young talls/KPP's.

Taller players usually take at least 3-4 years before they start to impact.We can see this with Grant or even a guy like Lachlen Hansen.So we have already done the hard work with that in our previous drafts. It is just a matter of developing them and slowly giving them game time.

Yep, agree totally that pace is much easier to find and faster to develop than the talls. We're sorted in the ruck (man I am such a fan of roughy's. I think he's something special) and key forward posts, as well as in the inside midfield. All far more important and more difficult to find than quick outside mids. Hopefully thorne develops, but we need more. Cant add much in this years draft (with Libba and Wallis taking the picks), but I dont see why we couldnt look to address it via a trade at the end of the year or through the rookie list....just no Peake types please. Dont rate him at all!

We addressed our future flanker depth last year with Howard and Tutt, both of whom dont appear in your list in 4 years time.

If you had to bet your house on something, youd have harbrow going to the gold coast, so replace him with howard at the least.

We have thorne, but I would use this upcoming draft to get another speculative speedster goal sneak on the books, possibly via the rookie draft if needs be. We will be light on for small-medium forwards once Hahn, aker, johno, murph, guido are gone. The irony.

we are already going with 'best available' with wally and libba, so addressing needs with late picks and rookies is the way to go this coming draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back