List profiles 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast are really the only young list I'd say.

Brisbane, North, Carlton might be fielding young sides but they aren't these flukey young lists that come about from lacking talent or new teams.

Same at the other end. Adelaide aren't an old list particularly and their team is getting older in some regards but not in a bad way. Geelong as well.

The Hawks list is older than the team they will likely field and that comes about from winning the flag in 15 with the oldest list.

The comp is evening up and it will be more about form, tactics and health than purely an experience edge. That's a good thing.

IMO averages are a weak analysis.
You need to go deeper and look into age groups, and where teams core players fit in that age group, how many core players are >30 and due to decline, how many are <24 under with upside still.

A 1.5 year age difference from 1st to 18th tells you almost nothing of value when looked at in isolation.
This is a quality post. Very well said. The 24-30 group of players is what I'd be looking at. Once you've got a list where your average is 24-26 they've probably played 100 odd games, have got their conditioning, and still have that upside.

2018 is a long way off, but with list maturity you'd think Geelong, Adelaide, Port, Sydney, Richmond & GWS would be all fairly in contention.

Melbourne I'll be biased on, we've got Petracca & Brayshaw coming into their 4th years, Oliver his third, Viney, McDonald and Tyson probably 5-6 now, Hogan around the 5 mark, and Lever also approaching his 4th season. From a talent perspective, well it's there, experience? You'd like to think it's definitely getting up to a point where this team can start minimising the deficiencies and start playing finals.

This is a quality post. Very well said. The 24-30 group of players is what I'd be looking at. Once you've got a list where your average is 24-26 they've probably played 100 odd games, have got their conditioning, and still have that upside.

2018 is a long way off, but with list maturity you'd think Geelong, Adelaide, Port, Sydney, Richmond & GWS would be all fairly in contention.

Melbourne I'll be biased on, we've got Petracca & Brayshaw coming into their 4th years, Oliver his third, Viney, McDonald and Tyson probably 5-6 now, Hogan around the 5 mark, and Lever also approaching his 4th season. From a talent perspective, well it's there, experience? You'd like to think it's definitely getting up to a point where this team can start minimising the deficiencies and start playing finals.
Melbourne are without a doubt a top 4 chance in 2018. Their time is now, the list is ready for finals.

Hawks with the second oldest list is interesting even after culling their veterans in recent years

Burgoyne (35), Birchall (31) and Puopolo (30) are all expected to retire at the end of 2018. In 2019 Roughead and Frawley will be nearing the end most likely. That average age will go down significantly over the next couple of years.

Got to take our chance. It has to be now.

Melbourne’s flag window is open for the next four, five or even six years. The same for the Dogs who I think still have enough talent to rebound and challenge for the flag if they can get their players back and playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were ready last year...bags packed, finals t-shirts printed, team bus idling in the drive...
Yeh look, I'm sure Demons fans never want to speak of the infamous final round of 2017...
But I rate them, and I reckon the players would be burning after that, and with their age profile and talent they will make the finals in '18, and I reckon could at least make the semi finals.

Well yeah, "the best player to ever live" would be "single-handedly better than any player to ever represent" any other club.

Gee, I thought these geelong posters were up and about after they got Danger. Now its just intensified with Ablett crawling back :eek:

Nope I want them to use this same list for many years so when they fall they really fall

As long as that list can keep smashing Geelong out of Prelims then I’d be pretty happy. You guys just lost your best finals player also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back