Remove this Banner Ad

BedrockLP

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees, Jazz, Dolphins
Not sure if posted elsewhere but interesting read on the Age website.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...healthiest-playing-lists-20161129-gszyqe.html

Apparently our list is worse this year vs last whilst Pies and Essendon have improved, and Sydney are the same despite key departures elsewhere. If this is their score system, no idea how we have gone backwards.

My thoughts are we have improved. Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis for me are slightly up from Vickery and Deledio in totality, as well as a lot younger. Deledio unfortunately couldn't play as much as we wanted and Vickery's efforts were questionable. In coming kids were good given the picks and many young players got important games last year.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...healthiest-playing-lists-20161129-gszyqe.html

Apparently our list is worse this year vs last whilst Pies and Essendon have improved, and Sydney are the same despite key departures elsewhere. If this is their score system, no idea how we have gone backwards.

My thoughts are we have improved. Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis for me are slightly up from Vickery and Deledio in totality, as well as a lot younger. Deledio unfortunately couldn't play as much as we wanted and Vickery's efforts were questionable. In coming kids were good given the picks and many young players got important games last year.
Deledio was barely on the park last year so not sure why would use him as a comparison to our 2016 list.

Other thing they dont take into consideration are players injured and natural progression of our youth which was also hindered due to injuries last year.

I think we've improved, could surprise a few people in 2017.......time will tell though...Roll on 2017 Round 1...

How they say our list is down because we lost Lids, but improved pretty much every position but the key position players- worst case i'd say is that we are unchanged.

but they say Collingwood is up even though they lost their best midfielder and key forward for the last 10 years and 3 other premiership players, yet brought in old hacks from other teams.

just puffin on Eddies pipe down at the Age - expected more from Quayle.

"They look thin in key backs after Rance (and if he goes down what then?)"

I hate this argument, you can say that about any star from any team.

What if Dangerfield goes down? What if Buddy goes down? What then?

Also to label Prestia as "solid" when his numbers were equal to Dangerfield and Selwood in 2015 is a pessimistic assessment IMO, and if that's justified due to injury, then the loss of Deledio should be dampened by the same logic.

We can't replace Vickery? Thank God! I don't want a Vickery replacement thank you very much! Bolton and Rioli will have to suffice ;)

I personally disagree with Quayle on Richmond's prospect next season.

- Vickery wasn't replaced (which would decrease our KPF depth), but I am over the three talls in the forward line anyway. This started to become a thing in 2014 and we went better without it in 2012-2013. If you look at where sourced our goals from, you may notice that we had more midfielders kicking goals back then. We also had Riewoldt playing near the goal square kicking a heap of goals. I can see us returning to that type of structure again (don't think Riewoldt returns to his position then but it would be nice to see).

Now, we have Riewoldt and Griffiths as our talls (less than 2014-2016) and with more goal-kicking mids (hopefully) and more small forwards than the 2014-2015 period, I think we may actually end up offensively better. As long as our coaching panel change the forward line structure in order to account for the decrease in KPP stocks, then we should be fine for this year. Next year draft/trade period we hopefully address our KPP needs.

- Lids was a goal-kicking mid and we lost him. Just see us as having replaced him with Caddy and Prestia and you would think we offset his loss quite well.

Those are the two major losses for us and I think we made up for these losses adequately.

At the very least I would have thought we would steady, however I guess they cant have all clubs going up.

Elton is literally the rance replacement ...

Hate him or hate him, Tyrone did kick goals. When griff gets hurt chol or moore comes in ...

The general board poll, has Richmond as the 2nd worst list

Problem with these previews is that they all just look at the last season and say that is all there is. No real analysis of why things went well or badly. Prestia and Caddy are a huge benefit. Loss of Lids is BIG, but can be offset if some of the young guys come on a bit in his absence and we can have Caddy and Dusty rotating forward.
TV - Meh on 2016 form. I actually reckon we work better with 2 talls + Lennon, Dusty, Cotch, Caddy + smalls. He is a loss, but not one that really matters immediately as we had 3 AFL KPFs.

The big issues are whether our game plan changes, and whether the new players + developing youngsters can add that depth in quality to a 3 * top 4 team. 2016 was totally out of character for what they had been doing. I'll take 3/4 years form as showing what we are capable of. But, some things have to change. Win early and take the pressure off. Play an attacking style that uses Jack at FF + Rioli etc crumbing. And young developing players have to actually take that next step.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate him or hate him, Tyrone did kick goals. When griff gets hurt chol or moore comes in ...

well they can go #### them selves ,dickless bunch of fargin freeks,aarrssee licking
pimple scrotum suckers,these fools toss at their own pot bellys,stupid k###s.

well they can go #### them selves ,dickless bunch of fargin freeks,aarrssee licking

WHAT????..........

I would suggest we are in a similar boat to last year.
For mine the caliber of player on the list has slightly improved, but the make-up of the list needs severe work.
We have no reliable ruck outside Nankervis and he is on trial as a potential regular (most know my views on Hampson, Maric was cooked last year and Soldo is light years away).
We have one star defender and one star forward, the others injury-prone and inconsistent and simply no depth. Vickery, for all his many faults, was our number two tall forward and anyone who thinks the likes of Elton, Chol and Moore will come anywhere close to what Ty di are kidding themselves. That said, glad he's been moved on.
I would need to see evidence Prestia can play more than 12-14 games to say our midfield has improved.

Not worried about kpf, it's kpd that's the problem. We will be monstered there.

Wonder why we didn't look at wc Mitch brown? As rookie nothing to lose. I reckon he's better than astbury

The brilliant method of only taking four picks, one rookie left us hand tied somewhat

I wouldnt base any of your thoughts on the main board poll lol

Our list is far better placed this year imo, deledio wasnt really a loss in comparison to last year cause he barely played, vickery leaving is addition by subtraction.

Weve added 3 young guys who are ready to come in a make an impact in Prestia, Caddy and Nank. We drafted best available at our picks and IMO we did very well. We took a punt on a highly talented kid in the rookie draft who im excited about.

Dont see how we are worse off.

As far as list i would least like to have moving forward, my order is:
1. Norf
2. Carltoon
3. Freo
4. Geelol

That's just insane. :drunk:

Post 2014, people said that the Western Bulldogs list was in a similar shape after losing their superstar Ryan Griffen, their coach, and seemingly having the depth of a puddle.

I thought they were basically screwed for 5-6 years, and was absolutely furious when they beat us in early 2015. But then they go and win a flag 2 years later, from 7th no-less, and make 95% of the footy world look like chumps in the process.

Yes yes, they changed their senior coach, blah blah blah... we've basically changed our entire coaching team too, and surely Dimma will know his job is on the line if he doesn't make finals this year... say what you want about the bloke, but I think having a job is more important than his pride, he'll be doing everything he can to change the game-plan for 2017, and now he has better conduits to deliver the new messages.

We're not world-beaters yet, and we may indeed need a change of coach to realize our full potential, but the 2nd worst list? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Again, that's just insanity. :$

That post provides much more intensity than vickery ever did in our forward line!

Sorry to rain on the parade but....

Yet again the tiger faithful continue to over rate and see something nobody else can. I would argue we are unchanged which isn't great in the scheme of the comp as we should be improving our list each year. I am somewhat disappointed we didn't recruit a KPF to replace Ty and Bean. Chol and Moore aren't anywhere near ready and that leaves us with just Jack, Griff and Elton unless we throw a ruck up there. Down back we have Rance & Astbury then nothing much more. Grimes can play taller but I would shudder to imagine him King up on anyone's 2nd forward. We now have a list full of mids and flankers, we added some more speed but neglected talls. How this plays out will be anyone's guess.

I know there is much hate for our club and people dream of us coming ninth but the reality is we are just a run of the mill team. I can see that, most of the footy world can see that but not many in here.

Back