• Jack Maibaum

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Nebley

Debutant
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This is for people do their own and very subjective reviews of our list. Just copy and paste the below into a new comment and add your thoughts on each player.

Senior List.

James Rose:

Jarrad McVeigh:

Dan Hanneberry:

Isaac Henney:

Jordan Foote:

Harry Cunningham:

Will Hayward:

Zak Jones:

Tom Papley:

Josh Kennedy:

Oliver Florent:

Callum Mills:

Keiran Jack:

Gary Rohan:

Darcy Cameron:

Callum Sinclair:

Matthew Ling:

Sam Reid:

Jack Maibaum:

Dean Towers:

Lance Franklin:

Dane Rampe:

Luke Parker:

Daniel Robinson:

Nick Newman:

George Hewett:

Tom McCartin:

Harrison Marsh:

Ryley Stoddart:

Jordan Dawson:

Sam Naismith:

Lewis Mellican:

Aliir Aliir:

Heath Grundy:

Nick Smith:

Jake Lloyd:

Colin O'Riordan:

Rookie List.​

Alex Johnson:

Ben Ronke:

James Bell:

Jake Brown:

Robbie Fox:

Angus Styles:

Joel Amartey:

Toby Pink:

Last edited:

Nebley

Debutant
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Senior List.

James Rose: Well and truly exceeded my expectations by earning a senior recall. I thought his papers were stamped "never to be considered" but evidently worked on what he needed to and impressed the selectors. His game in the seniors wasn't what we would have hoped, but he did have more pressure acts than anyone else in the ground, so might have opened the door a fraction to being retained.

Jarrad McVeigh: A very good year, very important as a distributor, but appeared to have an equally impressive impact with his on field leadership. Definitely caught out for pace in a few occasions, but still valuable.

Dan Hanneberry: obviously cruelled by injuries, but I thought he got better with each game back after he was rested, and despite his attrocious use of the ball by foot I thought he was showing definite signs of being able to be a consistent valuable contibutor, albeit possibly not the star he once was.

Isaac Henney: has all the tools to be a star of the competition, just needs to be surrounded by players who will let him. Seemed much more comfortable once some of the older heads were back in the team towards the end of the year which is understandable as he would have had less pressure.

Jordan Foote: a disappointing year by any measure, probably needed to cement a place in the team or at least be pushing for first inclusion, but injuries didn't really give him the chance.

Harry Cunningham: the quiet achiever of the team this year. Didn't have any really eye catching games, but for the first time I can remember I feel like he has cemented a place in the team and his spot is safe if he has a down game.

Will Hayward: I'm going to assume that either fatigue or injuries hampered the second half of the season and focus on the positives. If he can manage to play a full season of the standard he's shown he is capable of he'll be a hugely valuable medium forward.

Zak Jones: has said he wants to play in the middle and I think he should. Both because the midfield needs new blood and I'm not convinced he's the best option as a distributor. I like his run and carry, but I'd prefer it wasn't happening so close to the opposition goal sometimes.

Tom Papley: I just don't know with Papley. Yes, he's good enough to play AFL, he's been one of our better players, but is there room for both he and Ronke in the team? I'm hoping the answer is yes, because I have Ronke ahead of him based on their respective ceilings.

Josh Kennedy: yeah, he's getting old. It's sort of like Roger Federer, he's gone from being the absolute best at what he does to merely being very good. I think he needs help, but I also think he's still a damn good player.

Oliver Florent: showed he has what it takes and had glimpses of brilliance. I'm excited to see what he becomes with another pre-season under his belt.

Callum Mills: midfield is calling, maybe he can be the cavalry.

Keiran Jack: I don't see a spot in the best 22 for him next season, but if a couple of senior players go down he's shown enough to suggest he can come in and add some experience and contribute as a bit player.

Gary Rohan: more of the same from Rohan really. Flashes of brilliance and moments of mediocrity. Good enough to play AFL, but I have him at number 23 on the list at the moment.

Darcy Cameron: dominated the NEAFL, struggled in his one game of seniors. Needs more opportunities.

Callum Sinclair: did better than I expected as a sole ruckman. Had some very good performances, and got absolutely smashed in others. Either needs to improve his tap work or play as a second ruckman to consistently be an asset.

Matthew Ling: the club clearly like what he brings to the table, so I'll back them in.

Sam Reid: if he can get on the park he's super valuable. Without knowing the ins and outs it's hard to say more.

Jack Maibaum: I'm a massive fan, but it's looking like he's never going to make the cut.

Dean Towers: just when you think he's turned the corner he gets dropped and that's all she wrote. I have no idea what happened to him to be honest.

Lance Franklin: what can you say? He's not a key forward and desperately needs help, and still nearly won the Coleman playing limited games on one leg.

Dane Rampe: not a key defender. I'll say it again. NOT A KEY DEFENDER!!! DO YOU HEAR ME HORSE?!? The best half back flanker in the competition is being played out of position week in and week out. Sort it out someone!

Luke Parker: dropped his rating slightly from the player who won the B&F, but by a small enough amount that he might have it in the bag again. Would probably benefit from a game style that let him use his X factor attributes a bit more.

Daniel Robinson: what a handy depth player. Can play forward, back, or midfield and perform adequately. Not a star, but not a liability either.

Nick Newman: went from being a revelation last year, to terrible early, to looking like being delisted, to probably earning a new contract on the back of the last month. I don't know what to make of him.

George Hewett: well, he can tag and he can win clearances, but I'm yet to see him actually hurt a team offensively. It's ok if he can't, but I'm not convinced he can't.

Tom McCartin: I rate his potential, but he shouldn't have been playing in the AFL this year. He made a good contest and tried hard, but he was half the player Tippett was at the end, and Tippett was barely half a player by then.

Harrison Marsh: where to from here Harry? He's good enough, just about, but what's his role? Smith and McVeigh are going around again, he's not big enough to play as a tall, so what do we do?

Ryley Stoddart: I like his pace and his flair, I'm not convinced yet, but I feel like he's the type who would benefit from playing at a higher level, so we may never see his best in the reserves.

Jordan Dawson: I like him, he's sort of like Heeney or Parker, which is my concern. Is he the third best midfielder / forward on the list? If so then what's his go, wait for the others to be injured? I've read that he can play inside mid, so hopefully that's where he starts next season.

Sam Naismith: get him in. The club have re-signed him, so the plan has to be to play him. He is a good tap ruckman, and I'll back Cox to make him better around the ground, so let's see it happen.

Lewis Mellican: as soon as he is fit (hopefully round 1) he's an automatic inclusion for mine, and I'd drop almost anybody from the backline to get him in there. The future.

Aliir Aliir: an excellent intercept marker, but not sold on his credentials as a 1:1 defender. If it takes being the loose man for him to be effective then I'm not on board with him being in the team.

Heath Grundy: still a bloody good player. Not sure he will be by this time next year, but for now I'm fine with him.

Nick Smith: still the best lockdown small defender in the competition, so a no brainer that he's in my best 22.

Jake Lloyd: I agree to some extent with every opinion. I think he's a very good and very valuable player, but also that his position could be replaced. As an evaluation though I think he plays his role better than most in the league.

Colin O'Riordan: one of the reasons I think Mills and Jones can go to the midfield, looked completely at home at the level in his games in the seniors, and should cement his place next year.

Rookie List.

Alex Johnson: showed he still has the ability, it's just a case of how many times is too many for him and the club.

Ben Ronke: my highlight of the year. Has the pace and goal sense, but can also take a mark and lay a tackle. Could be the best small forward in the league in a year or two if we're lucky.

James Bell: has shown ability, but nothing to suggest he's up to AFL standard in the bits and pieces I've seen of him. Needs to lift his intensity and involvement, but may well do so with another year in the system.

Jake Brown: like Bell, but without the glimpses. Nothing to convince me he will make the grade.

Robbie Fox: does he have improvement in him, or is this as good as he gets? If he can improve and find a spot then he might make the grade. If not then he'll be a handy depth player who is versatile I suppose.

Angus Styles: has done some nice things in the readies games I've seen, but not sure what his spot is in the seniors.

Joel Amartey: was always a development prospect and showed that he has the raw tools to make a fist of it. Excited to see where he is in a couple of years.

Toby Pink: from what I've heard he's a nice guy who tries hard, but that's probably not enough to hold his spot.

James Rose: agree did well to get a senior gig, not sure what role the club see him playing. Persist he is handy depth

Jarrad McVeigh: glad he stays he is still one of the best kicks and had a better year than last

Dan Hannebery. Bye... been cooked for 2 years,a fresh start might help but get that salary off the books, he’s mentally left already, him getting the ball is bad for us

Isaac Henney: took another big step, consistency is his next goal, lead the midfield , its his time

Jordan Foote: First gone cant play

Harry Cunningham: very impressed with his year, put his head over it, Cemented a spot

Will Hayward: guy is a gun who is not used effectively

Zak Jones: gets a bum wrap with some but bugger knows why, this guy attacks and is aggressive, I love his footy, put him in the guts forget this defence s**t v greene etc

Tom Papley: plays forward and kicks goals so it makes no sense why he starts in so many Centre bounces

Josh Kennedy: this guy has been our best for years really but his decline was alarming, he needs to take a back seat and fix his goal kicking

Oliver Florent: free him up why is he drifting around defence or the edges, let him play horse he is a gun

Callum Mills: missed him, needs to fix his kicking, but he has courage and intercept marking ability, next year should be a big year,

Keiran Jack: has never learnt to kick both feet, had a poor year but looked more himself late, there’s still a role there, at least he has a dip

Gary Rohan: I want gaz to make it, but it’s got to be close to calling it, just not sure he can be a consistent afl player going forward but is handy depth

Darcy Cameron: an odd game and situation to debut oddly used by the coaches

Callum Sinclair: I’d give him the skilton, he won’t win it, but anyone think he could be this good, not saying he is elite, but he looked useless in the past , he thrived as the solo ruck

Matthew Ling: watching Higgins play damn this kid better be good

Sam Reid: is he ever fit anymore is such a tease, yet to deliver on potential

Jack Maibaum seemed ok in the limited sightings

Dean Towers: got picked in the past for dishing up crap, finally looked settled and must of taken a dump in horses coffee

Lance Franklin: something not quite right all year, mis managed, still our best player, shame the coach can’t use him

Dane Rampe: lead the defence, think the umps mis treated him this year. When aj got fit I had hopes he might be freed up

Luke Parker: battled hard and will probably win the best and fairest, we ideally need him fwd more, he goes to ground too often but he is a warrior

Daniel Robinson: not a fan usually but his late season wasn’t bad

Nick Newman: has played some lazy footy, but I think he made some positive steps late, not sure he’s a defender , horse seeems to want Malceski matter and Shaw back

George Hewett: actually would be a best and fairest chance, good honest player,

Tom McCartin: very promising but kicking is atrocious and he needs to work hard to fix it

Harrison Marsh: not sure he is the right size for the role he is asked to play ,handy depth

Ryley Stoddart: wasn’t impressed,but early days

Jordan Dawson: still can’t work out why he struggles to get a game then get used in the middle- obvious afl player imo

Sam Naismith: not as bad as some remember, not as good as others remember, didn’t need 3 years, but be nice to have a choice of ruckmen

Lewis Mellican: we felt his absence big time

Aliir Aliir: has a lot of one on one defensive skills to work on, but gee he is a talent and played some great footy, glad horse ****ed around with picking him for so long

Heath Grundy: I still don’t buy the story around him fully, I think horse wanted to pension him off, ithought he had another good year

Nick Smith: never gets the praise he should, never cops the criticism he should, he looked a bit off the pace at times but still a good year

Jake Lloyd: good year he has a choice to make over $, as we shouldn’t over pay, his kicking is limited, and I prefer him not to kick in but a great year

Colin O'Riordan: liked what I saw though why does every kid have to go to half back?

Rookie List.

Alex Johnson: sad, looked good

Ben Ronke: kicked goals which seemed to annoy the coaches so they moved him as far away from them as possible, good year

James Bell: dunno

Jake Brown: dunno

Robbie Fox: tries hard won’t make it

Angus Styles:

Joel Amartey:

Toby Pink:

James Rose: Do. Not. Rate.

Jarrad McVeigh: Still in the best 22, which is a problem really. Not sure resigning was a great thing.

Dan Hanneberry: Love him but for his own sake maybe he needs a change. Watching him struggle so much in the jumper he's represented so well over the years is just deflating tbh.

Isaac Henney: A gun but yet to be determined whether he can go to that next level and start regularly impacting games. Let's hope 2019 with an uninterrupted pre-season will be his launching pad.

Jordan Foote: Hard done by around these ways considering he's hardly been given a fair chance at senior footy. Could give or take on the list really but a great kid.

Harry Cunningham: Had a great year by his standards and essentially saved his career.

Will Hayward: I bet he watches Jaidyn Stephenson with total envy at the amount of space and isolation he gets inside 50.

Zak Jones: Take the good with the bad and it's usually more upside than not. Like him better off the half-back where he can break a line.

Tom Papley: Leave him around the goals and let him do his thing.

Josh Kennedy: Declined a bit which is fine by me. Legend.

Oliver Florent: Love him. Not helped at all by our current style of footy though.

Callum Mills: Missed him this year but still not sure where he fits. I just don't see him as a midfielder (to be fair I never saw his junior footy so couldn't tell what he would be like as a mid.)

Keiran Jack: Again, love him but a liability. His turn-back-the-clock games will be too few and far between.

Gary Rohan: Lost patience.

Darcy Cameron: Keen to see if he can back up his NEAFL form in the seniors next year.

Callum Sinclair: We're in dire need of a quality tap ruckman and Sinclair ain't it. Loved his efforts this year though.

Matthew Ling: Complete unknown entity at this point.

Sam Reid: Lost patience.

Jack Maibaum: Could potentially render the Moore trade useless, or could be rendered useless by the Moore trade.

Dean Towers: Still handy depth IMO but had a disappointing year.

Lance Franklin: GOAT

Dane Rampe: Can we have the old Sir Dane back?

Luke Parker: His best year consistency-wise but far from his best year output-wise. I don't think he'll ever be the dominant force he has the potential to be. Should be our next captain though.

Daniel Robinson: Nope

Nick Newman: If you look at Newman as a half-back whose meant to have an elite boot, he is over-rated as ****. If you look at Newman as just another Swan who can get plenty of the ball without being special, he's perfectly fine.

George Hewett: Love him, excellent tagger but would rather we just unleash him as a midfield beast he has the potential to be. Most JPK-like player on our list when he is in that role it's just too rare.

Tom McCartin: Very good first year for McCartin, getting senior games into him before his time really, never a bad thing. Love his effort.

Harrison Marsh: Still handy depth IMO.

Ryley Stoddart: Not entirely sure what the purpose of playing him earlier in the year was. Seemed to be spending a lot of time not on the half back where he was presumably needed. Look forward to seeing what he can do for another year and hopefully he'll be coming for McVeigh's spot hard.

Jordan Dawson: Get games into him!

Sam Naismith: Would be good if he can get into the senior team and return to the 2016 version rather than the 2017 version.

Lewis Mellican: Keen to see he and Aliir in the same team.

Aliir Aliir: GUN

Heath Grundy: Love him but not sure there's much point him going around again.

Nick Smith: Really missed him the last few weeks. Still an important member of the team IMO.

Jake Lloyd: GUN

Colin O'Riordan: Hopefully he'll be coming for Smith's spot though it'd be hard to go past Smith at selection.

Rookie List.

Alex Johnson: Do what you gotta do son.

Ben Ronke: Great first year. Inevitably plateaued as the season wore on but we know what he can do now. Could be anything.

James Bell: I've liked the look of him and would like to see him being considered for senior games next year.

Jake Brown: I mean another standard Swans mid, not sure there's much to write home about but looks a tough nut from what I've seen in the NEAFL.

Robbie Fox: Also like the look of him but didn't take all of his opportunities this year and still not sure of the best role for him in the team.

Angus Styles: See Brown.

Joel Amartey: I think this kid could be something, how good would it be to have a tall forward pushing for selection next year to keep Reid/McCartin/Blakey on their toes.

Toby Pink: Meh

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Let's do this. But there a few I don't know much about so i'll reflect that.

Senior List.

James Rose:
Surprised me with where he's at. Not really given the opportunity to see his full potential. Probably is a make up player next year but maybe a spot or two ahead of others.

Jarrad McVeigh:
Deserved the one year extension but that's probably where it ends. Proved in patches he is still valuable, however can really see mid next year him starting to struggle with pace.

Dan Hanneberry:
Cooked. Gone. Let's try get the best we can from St Kilda. His best is clearly past him and I don't think there's anyway he can work on pace and get back to 2015 form.

Isaac Henney:
Absolute superstar. His marking ability is through the roof. Proved this season he can go forward, midfielder and even go back to sure things up. Needs Plugger to be by his side in the off season and work on his kicking for goal. His only downfall.

Jordan Foote:
Injuries caused a disappointing year. Have to reserve judgement due to this.

Harry Cunningham:
Good year. Probably cemented a spot. Plays the wing role really well. Not one to even think of getting dropped.

Will Hayward:
Poor second half of the season. Not sure of it was fatigue or not. Needs some solid gym time to bulk up. He's too skinny. He's got the height and could be real valuable to us. Can also kick straight as well. Will hold starting spot next season.

Zak Jones:
Needs to smarten up a bit. I do love his mongrel and he's very much an inside player just like his brother is, just needs to be smarter. I like his run and his little bursts through the packs. Would like to see how he goes in a more permanent midfield role.

Tom Papley:
Very much hot and cold. Sometimes he has great games and the bad ones are really bad. The Stevie J touch about his attitude I don't mind. The Swans have never really had that and I think we need it. Sick of getting bullied.

Josh Kennedy:
Dare I say it? Needs to give up the captaincy. Can't help feel like it's been a burden for him. He has been up there in our top 5 again sure, but that's probably his worst season of form for us for some time.

Oliver Florent:
Surprised the s**t out of me. I have big wraps on this kid. Originally played a little forward but quickly moved to starting midfield. He was pretty consistent every game. Have him ahead of Ronke in terms of growth. Starting mid next year.

Callum Mills:
Itching to get him back. Not sure how the progress of def to mid is going and really not sure we need him to transition. Depends on if Lloyd goes and if Jones moves into the mid.

Keiran Jack:
He came back okay after the injury and played better then he was pre, but hard to see him cracking the 22 next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not with us next year.

Gary Rohan:
Go go go go go. Move him on. Don't expect much out of it. Maybe low 30s. He hasn't been valuable to us almost ever, and he's lingering away in the reserves as he can't crack the 22.

Darcy Cameron:
Everytime I saw NEAFL stats he was at the top. Would like to see him more but Sinclair/Naismith/maybe Reid next season, hard to see it. Maybe some trade value while we can?

Callum Sinclair:
Shouldered the sole ruck role really well from someone who was never our number one ruckman. Had his best season with us yet. Next season will be interesting. Based on this season, Horse might wanna retain him as number one and go with Naismith as back up but Naismith doesn't have the forward skills that Sinclair does.

Matthew Ling:
Picked him up in the trade for a reason. I'll wait to see what he can do.

Sam Reid:
The club needs to do a huge amount of work on getting his body right in the off season. If he breaks down and misses a considerable amount of footy next season, he's done. We need ihm fit. He can go back and defend, ruck and he's a good mark and kick for goal.

Jack Maibaum:
Can't comment.

Dean Towers:
Probably need to get something for him before he spends all of next season in the reserves.

Lance Franklin:
No words. Well, there are. The claim of only training hard for 20 mins this season is astonishing. Up there in the Coleman (albeit low numbers), another AA and captain. Shouldered that forward role immensely and proved his field kicking is second to none. We are so fortunate that he will end his career on almost the same amount of games between the two clubs and will hit 1000 goals in red and white. But, needs help. Clarkson phased him out of the forward line slowly at the end of his Hawks time and it made their forward line so unpredictable.

Dane Rampe:
A good year. Can't take the big bodied forwards though as he's not a one on one player. He's quick and that boot of his is like gold. Needs to play on the Caddy type of forward or off the half back.

Luke Parker:
Down a bit on his normal year. Absolutely love it when he moves forward. Is very much vital to the team and is one of our best.

Daniel Robinson:
Definitely useful in bits and pieces. Not sure he would hold his own in our 22 but no arguments when he comes in for an injured player etc.

Nick Newman:
I like him. He has a good bit of mongrel about him as well. In the 22.

George Hewett:
Unheralded hero. I don't think he got beat at all (?) at any tag he went with. And most of the time, picked up 20+ touches himself. He is one of the first written down on the teamsheet for me. He's in there to do that job and he does it well. It's the rest of the team that lets it down.

Tom McCartin:
Has a really good set of hands but jesus his age shows. Doesn't have the footy smarts yet but that will come. He will be better then his brother pretty quickly. Not sure we were in a position to put the youngest player in the league in our starting side.

Harrison Marsh:
Just not sure where he fits in to our structure.. Maybe in 2020?

Ryley Stoddart:
Don't really know much about him.

Jordan Dawson:
Pleasantly surprised in the glimpses we got to see.

Sam Naismith:
Not sure here. He was our starting ruckman pre-ACL. But we've seen what Sinclair can do as the sole. He's probably still my number one ruckman though. He's started his pre-season already so should be all guns blazing come round 1.

Lewis Mellican:
Another one i'm itching to get back. He's essential to our backline and a key defender.

Aliir Aliir:
God where to go with this one. I've never been wrapped. And was one of the "no no no no no" when he was recalled, BUT. His best position is strictly an intercept defender. He is no good one on one. And he seems to be so unsure when he runs with the ball. Intercept, kick short. That's what he does best. Horse will start him next year I think.

Heath Grundy:
Just. Just makes the 22. But he is limping to the finish line. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't last all of next season and he will most definitely hang up the boots then.

Nick Smith:
Seems to be ageing very quickly but still our key defender on opposition small forward.

Jake Lloyd:
Need to re-sign. One of the best half backs in the comp and picked up an AA squad selection to show. Will be in our top 3 B+F this year I think.

Colin O'Riordan:
Showed a bit and I have some promise. Will definitely push for a bench spot in the 22 next season.

Rookie List.

Alex Johnson:
Unfortunately, done. Give him a coaching role somewhere, let him re-hab without the pressure of getting back to footy, and if he gets back he gets back. Doing a Commerce degree and probably needs to focus on that if we are being honest. Some fairytales are just had to come true.

Ben Ronke:
Praying he's not a one game wonder. Will benefit massively from a pre-season with Stevie J and how to be a '"goal sneak". He has pace, skills and can kick straight. Just needs to mature a bit.

James Bell:
Don't really know him.

Jake Brown:
Definitely don't know him.

Robbie Fox:
A replacement player but can't see him ever contesting for best 22 spot.

Angus Styles:
Not sure.

Joel Amartey:
Not sure.

Toby Pink:
Not sure.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Senior List.

James Rose: Well and truly exceeded my expectations by earning a senior recall. I thought his papers were stamped "never to be considered" but evidently worked on what he needed to and impressed the selectors. His game in the seniors wasn't what we would have hoped, but he did have more pressure acts than anyone else in the ground, so might have opened the door a fraction to being retained.

Jarrad McVeigh: A very good year, very important as a distributor, but appeared to have an equally impressive impact with his on field leadership. Definitely caught out for pace in a few occasions, but still valuable.

Dan Hanneberry: obviously cruelled by injuries, but I thought he got better with each game back after he was rested, and despite his attrocious use of the ball by foot I thought he was showing definite signs of being able to be a consistent valuable contibutor, albeit possibly not the star he once was.

Isaac Henney: has all the tools to be a star of the competition, just needs to be surrounded by players who will let him. Seemed much more comfortable once some of the older heads were back in the team towards the end of the year which is understandable as he would have had less pressure.

Jordan Foote: a disappointing year by any measure, probably needed to cement a place in the team or at least be pushing for first inclusion, but injuries didn't really give him the chance.

Harry Cunningham: the quiet achiever of the team this year. Didn't have any really eye catching games, but for the first time I can remember I feel like he has cemented a place in the team and his spot is safe if he has a down game.

Will Hayward: I'm going to assume that either fatigue or injuries hampered the second half of the season and focus on the positives. If he can manage to play a full season of the standard he's shown he is capable of he'll be a hugely valuable medium forward.

Zak Jones: has said he wants to play in the middle and I think he should. Both because the midfield needs new blood and I'm not convinced he's the best option as a distributor. I like his run and carry, but I'd prefer it wasn't happening so close to the opposition goal sometimes.

Tom Papley: I just don't know with Papley. Yes, he's good enough to play AFL, he's been one of our better players, but is there room for both he and Ronke in the team? I'm hoping the answer is yes, because I have Ronke ahead of him based on their respective ceilings.

Josh Kennedy: yeah, he's getting old. It's sort of like Roger Federer, he's gone from being the absolute best at what he does to merely being very good. I think he needs help, but I also think he's still a damn good player.

Oliver Florent: showed he has what it takes and had glimpses of brilliance. I'm excited to see what he becomes with another pre-season under his belt.

Callum Mills: midfield is calling, maybe he can be the cavalry.

Keiran Jack: I don't see a spot in the best 22 for him next season, but if a couple of senior players go down he's shown enough to suggest he can come in and add some experience and contribute as a bit player.

Gary Rohan: more of the same from Rohan really. Flashes of brilliance and moments of mediocrity. Good enough to play AFL, but I have him at number 23 on the list at the moment.

Darcy Cameron: dominated the NEAFL, struggled in his one game of seniors. Needs more opportunities.

Callum Sinclair: did better than I expected as a sole ruckman. Had some very good performances, and got absolutely smashed in others. Either needs to improve his tap work or play as a second ruckman to consistently be an asset.

Matthew Ling: the club clearly like what he brings to the table, so I'll back them in.

Sam Reid: if he can get on the park he's super valuable. Without knowing the ins and outs it's hard to say more.

Jack Maibaum: I'm a massive fan, but it's looking like he's never going to make the cut.

Dean Towers: just when you think he's turned the corner he gets dropped and that's all she wrote. I have no idea what happened to him to be honest.

Lance Franklin: what can you say? He's not a key forward and desperately needs help, and still nearly won the Coleman playing limited games on one leg.

Dane Rampe: not a key defender. I'll say it again. NOT A KEY DEFENDER!!! DO YOU HEAR ME HORSE?!? The best half back flanker in the competition is being played out of position week in and week out. Sort it out someone!

Luke Parker: dropped his rating slightly from the player who won the B&F, but by a small enough amount that he might have it in the bag again. Would probably benefit from a game style that let him use his X factor attributes a bit more.

Daniel Robinson: what a handy depth player. Can play forward, back, or midfield and perform adequately. Not a star, but not a liability either.

Nick Newman: went from being a revelation last year, to terrible early, to looking like being delisted, to probably earning a new contract on the back of the last month. I don't know what to make of him.

George Hewett: well, he can tag and he can win clearances, but I'm yet to see him actually hurt a team offensively. It's ok if he can't, but I'm not convinced he can't.

Tom McCartin: I rate his potential, but he shouldn't have been playing in the AFL this year. He made a good contest and tried hard, but he was half the player Tippett was at the end, and Tippett was barely half a player by then.

Harrison Marsh: where to from here Harry? He's good enough, just about, but what's his role? Smith and McVeigh are going around again, he's not big enough to play as a tall, so what do we do?

Ryley Stoddart: I like his pace and his flair, I'm not convinced yet, but I feel like he's the type who would benefit from playing at a higher level, so we may never see his best in the reserves.

Jordan Dawson: I like him, he's sort of like Heeney or Parker, which is my concern. Is he the third best midfielder / forward on the list? If so then what's his go, wait for the others to be injured? I've read that he can play inside mid, so hopefully that's where he starts next season.

Sam Naismith: get him in. The club have re-signed him, so the plan has to be to play him. He is a good tap ruckman, and I'll back Cox to make him better around the ground, so let's see it happen.

Lewis Mellican: as soon as he is fit (hopefully round 1) he's an automatic inclusion for mine, and I'd drop almost anybody from the backline to get him in there. The future.

Aliir Aliir: an excellent intercept marker, but not sold on his credentials as a 1:1 defender. If it takes being the loose man for him to be effective then I'm not on board with him being in the team.

Heath Grundy: still a bloody good player. Not sure he will be by this time next year, but for now I'm fine with him.

Nick Smith: still the best lockdown small defender in the competition, so a no brainer that he's in my best 22.

Jake Lloyd: I agree to some extent with every opinion. I think he's a very good and very valuable player, but also that his position could be replaced. As an evaluation though I think he plays his role better than most in the league.

Colin O'Riordan: one of the reasons I think Mills and Jones can go to the midfield, looked completely at home at the level in his games in the seniors, and should cement his place next year.

Rookie List.

Alex Johnson: showed he still has the ability, it's just a case of how many times is too many for him and the club.

Ben Ronke: my highlight of the year. Has the pace and goal sense, but can also take a mark and lay a tackle. Could be the best small forward in the league in a year or two if we're lucky.

James Bell: has shown ability, but nothing to suggest he's up to AFL standard in the bits and pieces I've seen of him. Needs to lift his intensity and involvement, but may well do so with another year in the system.

Jake Brown: like Bell, but without the glimpses. Nothing to convince me he will make the grade.

Robbie Fox: does he have improvement in him, or is this as good as he gets? If he can improve and find a spot then he might make the grade. If not then he'll be a handy depth player who is versatile I suppose.

Angus Styles: has done some nice things in the readies games I've seen, but not sure what his spot is in the seniors.

Joel Amartey: was always a development prospect and showed that he has the raw tools to make a fist of it. Excited to see where he is in a couple of years.

Toby Pink: from what I've heard he's a nice guy who tries hard, but that's probably not enough to hold his spot.
Terrific summary.
Thanks for posting.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
James Rose: Do. Not. Rate.

Jarrad McVeigh: Still in the best 22, which is a problem really. Not sure resigning was a great thing.

Dan Hanneberry: Love him but for his own sake maybe he needs a change. Watching him struggle so much in the jumper he's represented so well over the years is just deflating tbh.

Isaac Henney: A gun but yet to be determined whether he can go to that next level and start regularly impacting games. Let's hope 2019 with an uninterrupted pre-season will be his launching pad.

Jordan Foote: Hard done by around these ways considering he's hardly been given a fair chance at senior footy. Could give or take on the list really but a great kid.

Harry Cunningham: Had a great year by his standards and essentially saved his career.

Will Hayward: I bet he watches Jaidyn Stephenson with total envy at the amount of space and isolation he gets inside 50.

Zak Jones: Take the good with the bad and it's usually more upside than not. Like him better off the half-back where he can break a line.

Tom Papley: Leave him around the goals and let him do his thing.

Josh Kennedy: Declined a bit which is fine by me. Legend.

Oliver Florent: Love him. Not helped at all by our current style of footy though.

Callum Mills: Missed him this year but still not sure where he fits. I just don't see him as a midfielder (to be fair I never saw his junior footy so couldn't tell what he would be like as a mid.)

Keiran Jack: Again, love him but a liability. His turn-back-the-clock games will be too few and far between.

Gary Rohan: Lost patience.

Darcy Cameron: Keen to see if he can back up his NEAFL form in the seniors next year.

Callum Sinclair: We're in dire need of a quality tap ruckman and Sinclair ain't it. Loved his efforts this year though.

Matthew Ling: Complete unknown entity at this point.

Sam Reid: Lost patience.

Jack Maibaum: Could potentially render the Moore trade useless, or could be rendered useless by the Moore trade.

Dean Towers: Still handy depth IMO but had a disappointing year.

Lance Franklin: GOAT

Dane Rampe: Can we have the old Sir Dane back?

Luke Parker: His best year consistency-wise but far from his best year output-wise. I don't think he'll ever be the dominant force he has the potential to be. Should be our next captain though.

Daniel Robinson: Nope

Nick Newman: If you look at Newman as a half-back whose meant to have an elite boot, he is over-rated as ****. If you look at Newman as just another Swan who can get plenty of the ball without being special, he's perfectly fine.

George Hewett: Love him, excellent tagger but would rather we just unleash him as a midfield beast he has the potential to be. Most JPK-like player on our list when he is in that role it's just too rare.

Tom McCartin: Very good first year for McCartin, getting senior games into him before his time really, never a bad thing. Love his effort.

Harrison Marsh: Still handy depth IMO.

Ryley Stoddart: Not entirely sure what the purpose of playing him earlier in the year was. Seemed to be spending a lot of time not on the half back where he was presumably needed. Look forward to seeing what he can do for another year and hopefully he'll be coming for McVeigh's spot hard.

Jordan Dawson: Get games into him!

Sam Naismith: Would be good if he can get into the senior team and return to the 2016 version rather than the 2017 version.

Lewis Mellican: Keen to see he and Aliir in the same team.

Aliir Aliir: GUN

Heath Grundy: Love him but not sure there's much point him going around again.

Nick Smith: Really missed him the last few weeks. Still an important member of the team IMO.

Jake Lloyd: GUN

Colin O'Riordan: Hopefully he'll be coming for Smith's spot though it'd be hard to go past Smith at selection.

Rookie List.

Alex Johnson: Do what you gotta do son.

Ben Ronke: Great first year. Inevitably plateaued as the season wore on but we know what he can do now. Could be anything.

James Bell: I've liked the look of him and would like to see him being considered for senior games next year.

Jake Brown: I mean another standard Swans mid, not sure there's much to write home about but looks a tough nut from what I've seen in the NEAFL.

Robbie Fox: Also like the look of him but didn't take all of his opportunities this year and still not sure of the best role for him in the team.

Angus Styles: See Brown.

Joel Amartey: I think this kid could be something, how good would it be to have a tall forward pushing for selection next year to keep Reid/McCartin/Blakey on their toes.

Toby Pink: Meh
Aliir isn’t a gun after 28 games.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Senior List.

James Rose: Just not quite up to it. Delist.

Jarrad McVeigh: Won't allow the club to retire him due to his performances. Respect.

Dan Hanneberry: Gone. Probably to St Kilda. Hope he gets a boost out of it. Won't ever forget 2012. 2nd round pick around 22.

Isaac Heeney: Gun. Future captain. Hot mum.

Jordan Foote: Delist.

Harry Cunningham: Not best 22 but made himself so. Respect.

Will Hayward: Needs another pre season. But also needs to find a way to get more involved.

Zak Jones: I know he's good. But the pugilistic crap is irritating. You want to play midfield, then fight for the ball.

Tom Papley: Seemed to have a down year but I'll back him.

Josh Kennedy: Legend. Looked knackered at the end, like last year. Like to see his load reduced a bit.

Oliver Florent: Tired in the second half of the year. Another pre season will do wonders.

Callum Mills: Desperately need him back.

Keiran Jack: He'll be good as a mentor bit player in his final year. Still has something to offer.

Gary Rohan: I can't comprehend how tough his year has been for him. If he wants to go home, make it happen. If he wants to stay, take care of him.

Darcy Cameron: I think he'll make it.

Callum Sinclair: Fantastic year. But will hopefully be 3rd in line next year. Trade bait. Maybe 2nd round.

Matthew Ling: The word is he's good.

Sam Reid: I love him when he's playing.

Jack Maibaum: Persist. I like what I see in the Ressies.

Dean Towers: The missing link in the last six weeks. What did he do wrong?

Lance Franklin: I'd love to see him as our third tall behind Reid and McCartin. Just a champion.

Dane Rampe: Lost no admirers this year.

Luke Parker: Another who needs the load spread.

Daniel Robinson: Started to show others what I've seen in him for a long time. Might not be best 22 but you rarely have your best 22. I rate him highly as a 23-27 player.

Nick Newman: I'm just not seeing it. Not dour enough as a defender, not classy enough in attack. Trade. Probably 3rd round.

George Hewett: Reliable. I like the kid.

Tom McCartin: Incredible first year for a key forward. Sign him because they'll be coming.

Harrison Marsh: Like Newman. I'm just not seeing it. O'Riordan has gone past him as a small defender. Maybe he's that mid sized if Rampe jumps over a chain or something. I'd take a trade. Probably 4th round.

Ryley Stoddart: Not seen enough.

Jordan Dawson: GET HIM IN THE MIDFIELD. Another pre season should see this happen.

Sam Naismith: Wonder why our mids were cooked by the end? His absence is part of the reason.

Lewis Mellican: We missed him. Needs to be a bit stronger than last year if he's to replace Grundy. I suspect a year on the weights might have helped.

Aliir Aliir: Love what he brings. If our mids can keep up the pressure he'll be All Australian next year.

Heath Grundy: Deserves his lap of honour. Hope he can continue to be good enough.

Nick Smith: Sorely missed in the end.

Jake Lloyd: I suspect he's gone. He's been very good for us considering where he's come from. But he's a role player. And you can't throw too much coin at role players. Trade pick 21.

Colin O'Riordan: Very exciting. Not quite there as a senior player but we'll see what another pre season can achieve.

Rookie List.​

Alex Johnson: Showed enough on his return to persist with him.

Ben Ronke: I actually don't think he was best 22 in the end. But he's only done the one pre season I think (only came into the NEAFL side late last year). He'll be better.

James Bell: Just oozes class with the ball. But footy is littered with blokes like that who don't end up making it. Dan O'Keefe comes to mind. Need more than 15 possessions at NEAFL to break into the senior side. I hope he progresses.

Jake Brown: Didn't see much but heard good things. Wonder if he's one of those rookie types that goes on to do really well.

Robbie Fox: 2 years in and he's shown glimpses but seemed to drop right off at the end this year. I like him. He's combative. But not enough to give him more than another year.

Angus Styles: No idea. Is he the bloke with the long dark hair? If so, he doesn't get it enough.

Joel Amartey: When I watch this bloke play I get this little bit of a stirring downstairs. It'll click for him or it won't. If it does, look out!!

Toby Pink: I know he missed the year but I don't think he's up to it. Late rookie selections need everything to go right. Not enough has gone right. Delist.

Recruits

Nick Blakey - Play him on a wing. He wants to be a midfielder but he's too slight for the moment. But he can take a mark and has good footy smarts. Will cost 1,315 points. Equivalent to between picks 11 and 12.

Xavier Duursma - Could go anywhere from 15-30. If we could get him for the Lloyd pick that would be fantastic. Wants to come to us (this I know for a fact). Inside/outside midfielder who can take a hanger.

Kyle Dunkley - They gave him a look in the NEAFL which suggests he is keen on us. From what he's shown, he's apparently rated as a late pick or rookie. I think he's worth the look. Probably doesn't take himself seriously enough (or hasn't in the past) but that's just an impression I've formed. APS footy also usually devalues a player for some reason. We'll get him cheap and should take him. Then get his brother to see the light.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Xavier Duursma - Could go anywhere from 15-30. If we could get him for the Lloyd pick that would be fantastic. Wants to come to us (this I know for a fact). Inside/outside midfielder who can take a hanger.

Because his old man and uncle played for us?

Duursma, who is the son of Ex-Sydney and Melbourne player Dean Duursma and the nephew of Jamie Duursma (59 games between Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne) is in the mix to feature inside the first or second round in this year's draft.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...ightmare-wrap-xavier-duursma-shines-gippsland

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Critical list changes that need to happen imo are-
Trade hanners

Bring in another genuine forward. Doesnt have to a particular size just another specialist forward that doesnt run through mid ie toby greene type. Jamie elliot would be perfect if we could get him fit.

Lessen kennedys role, tell heeney he is the number 1 man and promote mills to the midfield

Build the defence around aliir,ie run specific plays for when he has the ball,yes his skills have improved but he still makes bonehead plays when under pressure.

We need a runnee who can get the ball, like hanners used to be. Stoddart is capable but its not a quick fix.

Bring in pittard, decent enough player with good skills, could replace mills if he went to the midfield

Senior List.

James Rose: Just not quite up to it. Delist.

Jarrad McVeigh: Won't allow the club to retire him due to his performances. Respect.

Dan Hanneberry: Gone. Probably to St Kilda. Hope he gets a boost out of it. Won't ever forget 2012. 2nd round pick around 22.

Isaac Heeney: Gun. Future captain. Hot mum.

Jordan Foote: Delist.

Harry Cunningham: Not best 22 but made himself so. Respect.

Will Hayward: Needs another pre season. But also needs to find a way to get more involved.

Zak Jones: I know he's good. But the pugilistic crap is irritating. You want to play midfield, then fight for the ball.

Tom Papley: Seemed to have a down year but I'll back him.

Josh Kennedy: Legend. Looked knackered at the end, like last year. Like to see his load reduced a bit.

Oliver Florent: Tired in the second half of the year. Another pre season will do wonders.

Callum Mills: Desperately need him back.

Keiran Jack: He'll be good as a mentor bit player in his final year. Still has something to offer.

Gary Rohan: I can't comprehend how tough his year has been for him. If he wants to go home, make it happen. If he wants to stay, take care of him.

Darcy Cameron: I think he'll make it.

Callum Sinclair: Fantastic year. But will hopefully be 3rd in line next year. Trade bait. Maybe 2nd round.

Matthew Ling: The word is he's good.

Sam Reid: I love him when he's playing.

Jack Maibaum: Persist. I like what I see in the Ressies.

Dean Towers: The missing link in the last six weeks. What did he do wrong?

Lance Franklin: I'd love to see him as our third tall behind Reid and McCartin. Just a champion.

Dane Rampe: Lost no admirers this year.

Luke Parker: Another who needs the load spread.

Daniel Robinson: Started to show others what I've seen in him for a long time. Might not be best 22 but you rarely have your best 22. I rate him highly as a 23-27 player.

Nick Newman: I'm just not seeing it. Not dour enough as a defender, not classy enough in attack. Trade. Probably 3rd round.

George Hewett: Reliable. I like the kid.

Tom McCartin: Incredible first year for a key forward. Sign him because they'll be coming.

Harrison Marsh: Like Newman. I'm just not seeing it. O'Riordan has gone past him as a small defender. Maybe he's that mid sized if Rampe jumps over a chain or something. I'd take a trade. Probably 4th round.

Ryley Stoddart: Not seen enough.

Jordan Dawson: GET HIM IN THE MIDFIELD. Another pre season should see this happen.

Sam Naismith: Wonder why our mids were cooked by the end? His absence is part of the reason.

Lewis Mellican: We missed him. Needs to be a bit stronger than last year if he's to replace Grundy. I suspect a year on the weights might have helped.

Aliir Aliir: Love what he brings. If our mids can keep up the pressure he'll be All Australian next year.

Heath Grundy: Deserves his lap of honour. Hope he can continue to be good enough.

Nick Smith: Sorely missed in the end.

Jake Lloyd: I suspect he's gone. He's been very good for us considering where he's come from. But he's a role player. And you can't throw too much coin at role players. Trade pick 21.

Colin O'Riordan: Very exciting. Not quite there as a senior player but we'll see what another pre season can achieve.

Rookie List.​

Alex Johnson: Showed enough on his return to persist with him.

Ben Ronke: I actually don't think he was best 22 in the end. But he's only done the one pre season I think (only came into the NEAFL side late last year). He'll be better.

James Bell: Just oozes class with the ball. But footy is littered with blokes like that who don't end up making it. Dan O'Keefe comes to mind. Need more than 15 possessions at NEAFL to break into the senior side. I hope he progresses.

Jake Brown: Didn't see much but heard good things. Wonder if he's one of those rookie types that goes on to do really well.

Robbie Fox: 2 years in and he's shown glimpses but seemed to drop right off at the end this year. I like him. He's combative. But not enough to give him more than another year.

Angus Styles: No idea. Is he the bloke with the long dark hair? If so, he doesn't get it enough.

Joel Amartey: When I watch this bloke play I get this little bit of a stirring downstairs. It'll click for him or it won't. If it does, look out!!

Toby Pink: I know he missed the year but I don't think he's up to it. Late rookie selections need everything to go right. Not enough has gone right. Delist.

Recruits

Nick Blakey - Play him on a wing. He wants to be a midfielder but he's too slight for the moment. But he can take a mark and has good footy smarts. Will cost 1,315 points. Equivalent to between picks 11 and 12.

Kyle Dunkley - They gave him a look in the NEAFL which suggests he is keen on us. From what he's shown, he's apparently rated as a late pick or rookie. I think he's worth the look. Probably doesn't take himself seriously enough (or hasn't in the past) but that's just an impression I've formed. APS footy also usually devalues a player for some reason. We'll get him cheap and should take him. Then get his brother to see the light.

Hot mum for Heeney, I hope that’s on his internal review

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Surprised how many are quick to want Sinclair out of the side

It’s not about wanting him out. I don’t. I love him. The subject presumes a serious look at the list and how it can be improved. Looking at it coldly, he has genuine trade value and likely won’t next year or the next.

It’s about selling high.

It’s not about wanting him out. I don’t. I love him. The subject presumes a serious look at the list and how it can be improved. Looking at it coldly, he has genuine trade value and likely won’t next year or the next.

It’s about selling high.

Didn’t mean your post per say sorry

Just seems to be a few still don’t rate him much?

But I think anyone is traceable for the right price

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Senior List.

James Rose: Depth, good depth but will probably go.

Jarrad McVeigh: Great year, proved me wrong but can he repeat? Final year.

Dan Hanneberry: I think he can come back but if he wants to go, make the trade a winner and no paying his salary.

Isaac Heeney: Needs to find some consistency but could be an absolute star of the game!

Jordan Foote: Gone!

Harry Cunningham: Good season, improved dramatically!

Will Hayward: Great season, tapered off at the end but needs to find the pill more.

Zak Jones: Love him, get him in the middle and give him another 3 years. He’s like his brother, must have!

Tom Papley: Inconsistent this year but he’s had some injury concerns, definitely played injured.

Josh Kennedy: Legend, slightly down but he must be tired from carrying the club!

Oliver Florent: Great 2nd season, like Hayward he tapered off but can’t wait to see another 5kg on him next year. He could be the bull with pace and a great football brain.

Callum Mills: Sorely missed, will be a welcome recruit but probably down back again.

Keiran Jack: Good back end, 1 more year, no guarantees of a game.

Gary Rohan: I’ll always back him in, I still think he should be the lead up forward (FF). I don’t care if he gets it 5 times if he kicks 2 goals. Tough year for the guy.

Darcy Cameron: Development and probably deserved more opportunity but club couldn’t risk him. He’ll get more time next year without a doubt.

Callum Sinclair: Monster year!

Matthew Ling: N/A

Sam Reid: Sorely missed

Jack Maibaum: From what I’ve seen of ressies...persist. I think he has it.

Dean Towers: Don’t know what went wrong but it’s ‘see ya Deano’, I doubt they’ll retain him.

Lance Franklin: Great year of course. We’re too reliant on him and he’s too demanding at times but hey, it’s Buddy Franklin!

Dane Rampe: Fine season but not KPP material. Would love to see him on the wing.

Luke Parker: Bobby Skilton Medallist again, the barometer of the team and then some!

Daniel Robinson: Still depth for me. Played well last night though, showed quite a few up.

Nick Newman: Bye, bye!

George Hewett: Great season, would love to see him go both ways and definitely has the ability to do it!

Tom McCartin: Impressive...rumours the youngest player in the AFL stole Brody Mihocek’s kit!

Harrison Marsh: Good depth, I’d keep.

Ryley Stoddart: Not convinced but he’s contracted and has great pace, needs to bulk up. Probably a little hard on him as a 1st year.

Jordan Dawson: Future of the club. Should’ve played last night!

Sam Naismith: I love him, great tap ruckman. Best at Instagram

Lewis Mellican: Sorely missed, great start to the season. Needs to find a solution to his hammy problems.

Aliir Aliir: Brilliant 1st quarter last night and then they got their structure right. Big future!

Heath Grundy: Legend, final year next year and would love to see him proudly pass the baton.

Nick Smith: Surprisingly good year, make next year the last though, he’s a little slow.

Jake Lloyd: Priority signing, will be top 2 Bobby Skilton. He may even sneak past Parker.

Colin O'Riordan: Yes please, shits on Newman!

Rookie List.

Alex Johnson: Legend and I’ll back him in. Goldsack 26 week comeback will be in his thoughts, that’s Round 1 people...Round ******* 1! He can take a little longer if he likes though.

Ben Ronke: What a revelation. Almost a moral for 1st goal each week. Just dropped off at the end.

James Bell: I really like, has the Magic O’Loughlin about him.

Jake Brown: No

Robbie Fox: Probably gone, too slow.

Angus Styles: No

Joel Amartey: I see something here, good choice Swans on extending his rookie contract.

Toby Pink: Shame injury got him, would’ve been good to see what he could do in the ‘goos!

Recruit

We need midfielders with ball getting ability and/or speed:
I think we look at Miles definitely, he can find it. A couple more good sized mids. We’ll get Blakey, we need another (development) ruck and that should do it.

A new game plan would be good too if the coach doesn’t go. None of this pathetic defensive bullshit!

James Rose: Will not make it with the Swans at AFL level. I don’t see the point in keeping him as depth, would rather take a punt on an untried mature ager as depth.

Jarrad McVeigh: Had a great year and deserves to go around against next year.

Dan Hannebery: One of our best in the elimination final, despite a few turnovers. He still smashes in hard and a fully-fit Hannebery has been sorely missed this year. I don’t buy the “he’s cooked” narrative. If he’d been injury free for the past two years and his stats had declined, then there might be something to it. He’s had a horror run with injuries, but they’ve been quite varied in nature – it’s not as if he’s done the same hamstring 6 times. Hopefully all the “cooked” chatter scares the Saints off and he remains a Swan next year, gets a full pre-season under his belt, and rips it up for us again.

Isaac Heeney: Showed a lot of versatility in handling different roles this year. Continues to look better and more assured every game.

Jordan Foote: See James Rose

Harry Cunningham: Had a much, much better year than most expected. Great improvement across the season and that will hopefully continue next year.

Will Hayward: Tailed off towards the end of the year but had a great season

Zak Jones: Offers us something different with his pace and running. Can be defensively frustrating. Would be great if he could be played in a less defensively minded role – more minutes as an outside runner through the middle.

Tom Papley: He’s better when played in his natural small forward role. Leave him there as much as possible.

Josh Kennedy: Needs to give his back a good rest for a few months, can’t be easy carrying the entire midfield on his back.

Oliver Florent: Impressive improvement continues. Would love to see him given more opportunities next year.

Callum Mills: Can’t say much about his 2018. Hopefully he’s bulked up and can take some heat off JPK next year.

Keiran Jack: Flashes of brilliance mixed with some very average performances. Contracted for next year but I suspect he’ll get pushed out of the side in order to give the younger guys like Dawson more opportunities. We don’t need him as a small forward with Papley/Ronke/Hayward/Rohan around, and he just doesn’t have the size/marking ability to offer us enough value in the middle.

Gary Rohan: Swans board whipping boy for 2018. Rough season for him for various reasons. Might end up trade bait, and I suspect he’ll do very well if he ends up at a club with a more open game plan. I’m sure the stats-obsessed will find a way to disagree, but our forward line looks better with Rohan in it.

Darcy Cameron: Superb season in the ressies. With Naismith back next season and Sinclair seemingly cementing his spot this year, will there be enough opportunities for Cameron? Would surely be targeted by other clubs who need ruck reinforcements.

Callum Sinclair: Hats off to Sinclair – played every game this year as a full time ruck and fought his butt off.

Matthew Ling: No idea yet

Sam Reid: Massively missed this season. If we can’t get him on the park, we need someone else to back up Buddy and McCartin.

Jack Maibaum: Looked decent the few times I saw him in ressies.

Dean Towers: See James Rose. Seemed like this year could be the year he secured his spot, but seemed completely out of favour by the end of the season.

Lance Franklin: Legend.

Dane Rampe: Poor start to the year. Agree with others that Rampe is not a key defender, though a handy back up option if a forward gets off the chain. Would love to see Rampe pushed further up the ground more often.

Luke Parker: Strong year from Parker. Sometimes it’s easy to expect too much of these guys but Parker stood up numerous times throughout the year.

Daniel Robinson: If he’s cheap, he can stay as depth. I don’t really see much upside for him, but seemed to be playing the defensive forward role and coaches kept picking him.

Nic Newman: If someone will give us a decent pick for him, take it and run. The odd flash of positive footy, mixed with some horrible moments.

George Hewett: Performed some superb tagging efforts throughout the year, but can’t help but think this is a waste of his ability. Has the size and skills to be an inside mid and should get more game time in that position.

Tom McCartin: Forget the stats, he did extremely well this year. Youngest player in the competition and playing as a key forward against some big boys. Consistently brought the high balls to ground and gave our smalls something to work with. A few nice contested grabs too, great signs.

Harrison Marsh: Got more games than expected this year due to our key position injuries. Will remain a depth player if he stays.

Ryley Stoddart: See Matthew Ling.

Jordan Dawson: Tough season with injuries that prevented him getting a really good run in the seniors. Think he’s shown some very promising signs and if he continues to build his midfield game he could be a weapon.

Sam Naismith: Contract extended so we assume he’s our #1 ruck next year.

Lewis Mellican: Sorely missed his defensive work and stability.

Aliir Aliir: Depending which way you look at it Aliir either saved us the embarrassment of missing the finals for the first time in 9 years, or cost us a top 6 draft pick by doing so.. His performances across the back third of the season were outstanding. Absolute asset.

Heath Grundy: If the young guys stand up, Grundy will eventually get pushed out. He’s still good enough to be playing and was rightly rewarded with an extension. Hope to see more of him next year.

Nick Smith: Would have loved to have him against GWS. Watching Zak Jones trying to defend Toby Greene was killing me.

Jake Lloyd: Lloyd can be criticized for getting cheap possessions, but the fact is – he gets the ball. If he goes, we need to find someone else who can play that role (potentially Ling/Stoddart in future years)

Colin O'Riordan: Was rewarded with a few senior games and didn’t look out of place. Interested to see how he develops.

Rookie List.

Alex Johnson: Heart says keep him, business says cut him.

Ben Ronke: Burst on to the scene and is now comfortably best 22. A fast, goal kicking forward, with strong defensive skills = asset.

James Bell: Didn’t get to see much of him this year.

Jake Brown: See Bell.

Robbie Fox: Worth persisting with a little longer to see if there is more growth in his game.

Angus Styles: See Bell.

Joel Amartey: Some exciting moments in the ressies and could have a future if he continues to develop.

Toby Pink: See Bell.

Rose. Belatedly showed he can contest. Has talent. Trade for a 5th or keep as depth
Johnson. Delist. Keep on staff.
McVeigh. Deserved extra year. Pace won't improve.
Hanners. Goodbye and good luck
Heeney. Needs to work on tank. Lost composure when kicking. Good year tho.
Foote. Delist.
Cunningham. With Sinkers, one of our few who improved this year.
Tippett. Best season in ages. We still have to pay him ill gotten gains next year
Bayshore. Good year for a kid.
Jones. Has attributes. Defence isnt one. Would trade. Second grade dumb mid at best.
Papley. Play him forward you donkey.
JPK. Worst season with us. Looked injured for much of the year. Still valuable.
Florent. Showed a lot
Mills, sorely missed.
Jack. Liability now. 2s captain.
Rohan.. Hope he can be traded. Nice bloke, but bottom five on current list.
Cameron. Shows promise. Can tap the ball.
Ling. Who knows
Reid. Fit and he is vital.
Maibust. Too negative. Will be Horse's favourite.
Towers. Trade or delist.
Buddy. Legend.
Rampe. Played in wrong role. Has lost attacking flair.
Parker. Good year. Can improve.
Robinson. Tries. Worst surname in footy. Depth.
Hewett. Good year. Release from tagging.
Newman. Trade, but best 25.
McCartin. Bonus. Loved the endeavour, loathed the kicking. 3rd tall.
Stoddard. Who knows.
Marsh. Butchers the ball. Trade or depth.
Dawson. Has composure, talent, big body and can kick. Start in mids.
Ronke. Bonus.
Allir. Keep, develop, gun
Grundy. Fearnextyearis a bridge too far.
Smith. Slowing and disposal is poor. Still reliable.
Melican. Not convinced.
Fox. Useful player.
Lloyd. Another good year. Hope he stays.
COR. Real talent. Starts best 22.
Others. Amartey has talent. Bell and Brown have both shown a bit. Pass on Styles and Pink.

Back