Opinion List the Top 5 Midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Is this just starting 6? Or all the midfielders on the list collectively? (i.e. Depth)

If just starting 6, I'd say you're pretty spot on. With Port and GC rating a mention.
I say both, but in hindsight, i didn't consider Ports depth plus i forgot about the addition Patrick Ryder. I might swap Adelaide and Port simply because i rate Ports depth better.

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
I say both, but in hindsight, i didn't consider Ports depth plus i forgot about the addition Patrick Ryder. I might swap Adelaide and Port simply because i rate Ports depth better.
Noooooooooooooooooooo

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
This starting midfield that took your team to 10th!! Or do you blame your forward line or back line for being terrible?
I blame poor coaching, structures, roles etc.

You saw Sanderson's crappy coaching first hand when he did nothing about Ziebell.

BTW I do blame our defence to an extent. We lacked any two way running from our mids (poor coaching) and we lacked a decent chb. We leaked goals.

Anyway, back to the point. Judging the starting 6 solely on collective talent and skill, then the crows' starting 6 can match it with anyone.

Don't lie. It's unbecoming.

Credit to the OP for actually identifying this talent and not overlooking us because we finished 10th. Too bad we didn't nab Gibbs. That would have put this discussion to bed. :p

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Noooooooooooooooooooo
emoji17.png
IMO I think this discussion should be solely for the starting 6. That way it differs somewhat from the thread that already exists on the lists' board.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/rank-the-afl-midfields.980943/
Didn't realise there was another thread. Lets just stick to the starting 6 then.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I blame poor coaching, structures, roles etc.

You saw Sanderson's crappy coaching first hand when he did nothing about Ziebell.

BTW I do blame our defence to an extent. We lacked any two way running from our mids (poor coaching) and we lacked a decent chb. We leaked goals.

Anyway, back to the point. Judging the starting 6 solely on collective talent and skill, then the crows' starting 6 can match it with anyone.

Don't lie. It's unbecoming.

Credit to the OP for actually identifying this talent and not overlooking us because we finished 10th. Too bad we didn't nab Gibbs. That would have put this discussion to bed. :p
So who do you blame if you miss the 8 next year? When do the players take responsibility? Supporters go after the coach as it's an easy out.

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
Our midfield is too slow.
I thought it meant just on paper. Without taking form, etc, etc into account.

Any team with Watson, Goddard, Heppell, Stanton, Chapman, Zaharakis, Cooney, Myers, Hocking, etc. running around is pretty damn good. Pretty old though and like you said lacks pace.

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
So who do you blame if you miss the 8 next year? When do the players take responsibility? Supporters go after the coach as it's an easy out.
Sanderson was a horrible- I repeat- HORRIBLE coach. There is no denying that. I agree the players need to take some responsibility and from all reports I believe they have. Walsh brings elite standards and a no BS attitude. He is also a highly renowned game day tactician. Which will be a welcomed change. :p

You've again ignored the point though. The crows STARTING 6 can match it with any team in the comp and deservedly belongs in the top 5. Why do you disagree?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Sanderson was a horrible- I repeat- HORRIBLE coach. There is no denying that. I agree the players need to take some responsibility and from all reports I believe they have. Walsh brings elite standards and a no BS attitude. He is also a highly renowned game day tactician. Which will be a welcomed change. :p

You've again ignored the point though. The crows STARTING 6 can match it with any team in the comp and deservedly belongs in the top 5. Why do you disagree?

You would have won more games if that was the case. You're a middle of the road team with a solid midfield. Flip a coin to getting a spot in the 8 next year.

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
You would have won more games if that was the case. You're a middle of the road team with a solid midfield. Flip a coin to getting a spot in the 8 next year.
Why do you continue to avoid the topic at hand? This discussion is based solely on the starting 6. On paper, how is the Crows' starting 6 not a top 5 midfield?

Answer the question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
Because 5 are better.
Why do you never reply with evidence to support your claims??

B.Smith- 22 Y/O, AA this year, fast, courageous, magnificent disposal, goal sense. GUN.
B.Crouch- 20 Y/O, runner up rising star 2013, inside beast. Future superstar.
R.Sloane- 24 Y/O, elite midfielder. One of the top midfielders in the comp.
R: S.Jacobs- 26 Y/O, arguably the best ruckman in the league.
P.Dangerfield- 24 Y/O, deadset gun, elite. One of the best midfielders in the league.
S.Thompson- 31 Y/O, ball magnet, contested beast. Last season and will be replaced with the more than capable Matt Crouch (19 Y/O)

Every single one of these players are guns. The starting 6 belong in the top 5 midfields in the comp.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Why do you never reply with evidence to support your claims??

B.Smith- 22 Y/O, AA this year, fast, courageous, magnificent disposal, goal sense. GUN.
B.Crouch- 20 Y/O, runner up rising star 2013, inside beast. Future superstar.
R.Sloane- 24 Y/O, elite midfielder. One of the top midfielders in the comp.
R: S.Jacobs- 26 Y/O, arguably the best ruckman in the league.
P.Dangerfield- 24 Y/O, deadset gun, elite. One of the best midfielders in the league.
S.Thompson- 31 Y/O, ball magnet, contested beast. Last season and will be replaced with the more than capable Matt Crouch (19 Y/O)

Every single one of these players are guns. The starting 6 belong in the top 5 midfields in the comp.
Most over rate their team. You are no different. Thompson is about to turn 32. Jacobs was good this year are a poor 2013 - he needs to back it up. Sloane is honest but not really with the best mids in the comp. Dangerfield is a gun.

Using the rising star as your guide is not a great way to rank players. Mullett finished top 3 and is not in our best 22.

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
Their defence, other than Talia and Smith, is ridiculously bad. Anyway, for me:

1. Sydney

C: McVeigh - Kennedy - Hannebery
R: Pyke - Jack - Parker

2. Port Adelaide

C: Hartlett - Boak - Polec
R: Ryder - Cornes - Wines

3. Hawthorn

C: Hill - Mitchell - I Smith
R: McEvoy - Lewis - Langford

4. Brisbane:

C: Redden - Rockliff - Rich
R: Martin - Beams - Christenson

5. North Melbourne

C: Wells - Cunnington - Harvey
R: Goldstein - Swallow - Dal Santo

Essendon's starting midfield would probably be:

C: Stanton - Watson - Zaharakis
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Goddard
Ridiculously bad is a bit over the top. Luke Brown is an apt small defender but yeah our defence isn't the greatest.

Ridiculously bad is a bit over the top. Luke Brown is an apt small defender but yeah our defence isn't the greatest.
Brown's okay I guess, but any team with 2 good key forwards will be difficult for you to stop.

Dredd

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
Most over rate their team. You are no different. Thompson is about to turn 32. Jacobs was good this year are a poor 2013 - he needs to back it up. Sloane is honest but not really with the best mids in the comp. Dangerfield is a gun.

Using the rising star as your guide is not a great way to rank players. Mullett finished top 3 and is not in our best 22.
I personally think M. Crouch should replace Thompson and he eventually will at the end of next season. Jacobs is easily a top 3 ruckman. He had a poor 2013 due to other circumstances but he has definitely cemented himself as an elite ruckman. Brad Crouch is a very good player and is still very young. He will be a superstar. At the end of next season he will be spoken about in the same breath as Ollie Wines and O'Meara. Everything before his injury at the start of the year pointed to him being better than Wines.

Talia won the rising star award in 2012 and is now one of the best key defenders in the comp. It works both ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back