Opinion List the Top 5 Midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown's okay I guess, but any team with 2 good key forwards will be difficult for you to stop.
Yeah definitely not a great defence. Bock and Phil Davis leaving doesn't help. Hopefully Cheney and Lever help us out a bit.

For me (no particular order):

Fremantle
C: S.Hill, D.Mundy, N.Fyfe
R: A.Sandilands, M.Barlow, L.Neale

Essendon

C: Stanton - Watson - Zaharakis
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Goddard

Adelaide
C: B.Smith, B.Crouch, R.Sloane
R: S.Jacobs, P.Dangerfield, S. Thompson

Sydney
C:
K.Jack, T.Mitchell, D.Hannebery
R: M.Pyke, J.Kennedy, L. Parker

Brisbane
C:
P.Hanley, T.Rockliff, D.Rich
R: S.Martin, D.Zorko, D.Beams

Our absolute best combination would be;

Mid: Ben McEvoy ~ Sam Mitchell ~ Jordan Lewis
Mid: Shaun Burgoyne ~ Luke Hodge ~ Isaac Smith

But everyone on our list other than Lake plays through the midfield, so we rarely get to see this combo in action.

For me, if we're only naming a top 6, then I can't split Brisbane, Port, Freo, Hawthorn and Sydney.

You as easy to score against as Melbourne. No way are you close to top 4.
Sounds like you underrate Adelaides midfield. Both Jacobs and Dangerfield should've been AA this year alongside with Smith. Sloane with a bit of improvement can easily break in the AA team in the future. If Adelaide added a bit of depth they could be a real finals threat.

Lol - 1 poster over rated your midfield and you tag me into the thread?? If anyone would seriously want your midfield over Ports then their understanding of the game is as putrid as yours.
I would rather Ports Midfield over Fremantle's.
Might be biased but I think Hawthorns midfield is better than both ports and freos midfield.

Essendon would have the best midfield in 2011

Cooney - Watson - Goddard
Bellchambers - Chapman - Heppell

Zaharakis and Stanton

Essendon would have the best midfield in 2011

Cooney - Watson - Goddard
Bellchambers - Chapman - Heppell

Zaharakis and Stanton
I love your optimism, but Port, Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo all have better midfield's than ours.

Does Brodie Smith actually play in the midfield?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Port's above Hawthorn and Sydney because they have bigger KPP's forward and back where Port's strength is the midfield. I also rate them better than Fremantle because Freo is more about team defense, Brisbane were terrible all round and adding Beams and Christensen I don't think puts them into the top 5. North were very good this year but seemed to have weakened themselves at the trade table. But number 5 I would give to Adelaide as their top 6 is excellent shame for them that they only have about 15 AFL quality players.

ours would have to be up there in terms of depth

goldstein, swallow, cunnington, wells, harvey, dal santo, ziebell, gibson, bastinac, higgins. With Atley and Mcdonald pushing in over the next couple of years

I rate Port's above Hawthorn and Sydney because they have bigger KPP's forward and back where Port's strength is the midfield. I also rate them better than Fremantle because Freo is more about team defense, Brisbane were terrible all round and adding Beams and Christensen I don't think puts them into the top 5. North were very good this year but seemed to have weakened themselves at the trade table. But number 5 I would give to Adelaide as their top 6 is excellent shame for them that they only have about 15 AFL quality players.
Bit rough on Brisbane calling them terrible all round, considering we had 5-6 teenagers playing every week and no Rich or Leuenberger from rd 3 onwards and then no Redden either from ~rd 12 onwards.

Really we are adding Beams, Rich, Redden, Leuenberger, Christensen and maybe Robinson to our starting 22 for rd 1 next year. Then to add to that those teenagers have another year under their belt and some will be pushed out by the new and returning senior players and our midfield is looking pretty solid in talent and depth.

Of course it's all talk until we see what they can do together, but if you look at the list of names the Lions have, "terrible all round" is not a word I think you'd find most describing it as.

Bit rough on Brisbane calling them terrible all round, considering we had 5-6 teenagers playing every week and no Rich or Leuenberger from rd 3 onwards and then no Redden either from ~rd 12 onwards.

Really we are adding Beams, Rich, Redden, Leuenberger, Christensen and maybe Robinson to our starting 22 for rd 1 next year. Then to add to that those teenagers have another year under their belt and some will be pushed out by the new and returning senior players and our midfield is looking pretty solid in talent and depth.

Of course it's all talk until we see what they can do together, but if you look at the list of names the Lions have, "terrible all round" is not a word I think you'd find most describing it as.
I partly agree, Brisbane had a stiff year and their ladder position doesn't reflect on the quality of their list. In a few years time, Brisbane will become a real threat to the competition. People are in for a shock.

Well I was talking about this year and like you said you had no experience and injuries but I was really responding to a post that was saying that they will be in the top 5 next year.

Hawthorns depth is what sets them apart (obviously biased) we have so many players that go into the guts.
This year I think you'll see Stratton, Gibson & Birchall also go into the middle.

Well I was talking about this year and like you said you had no experience and injuries but I was really responding to a post that was saying that they will be in the top 5 next year.

Our midfield easily has the potential to be in the top 5.

Ladder position wise though, no. Our average defense and forward line will hold us back.

1. Fremantle. Getting long in the tooth but I have them winning this years premiership only because of that midfield.

2. Western Bulldogs. If they had a another key forward and a solid key defender, they'd be a smokey for the flag. Midfield comprised of Bontempelli, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Picken, Wallis, Stevens. Just wait till Honeychurch, Liberatore and Hrovat somehow slot in there next year.

3. North Melbourne. Ridiculous depth through the middle. Can't trust Petrie or Thomas in finals but you can bet Harvey, Cunnington and Goldstein will show up.

4. Gold Coast. O'Meara, Rischitelli, Bennell, Kolodjashnij, Ablett, Prestia, Swallow. Just need to get stuck into an early preseason and they play finals for the first time next year.

5. Port Adelaide. s**t year for the Power but they will be right back up there again sooner than later. Ryder, Boak, Gray x2, Hartlett, Ebert, Wines and even Wingard who plays that traditional forward/midfielders role seamlessly rotating between the two positions.

1. Fremantle. Getting long in the tooth but I have them winning this years premiership only because of that midfield.

2. Western Bulldogs. If they had a another key forward and a solid key defender, they'd be a smokey for the flag. Midfield comprised of Bontempelli, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Picken, Wallis, Stevens. Just wait till Honeychurch, Liberatore and Hrovat somehow slot in there next year.

3. North Melbourne. Ridiculous depth through the middle. Can't trust Petrie or Thomas in finals but you can bet Harvey, Cunnington and Goldstein will show up.

4. Gold Coast. O'Meara, Rischitelli, Bennell, Kolodjashnij, Ablett, Prestia, Swallow. Just need to get stuck into an early preseason and they play finals for the first time next year.

5. Port Adelaide. s**t year for the Power but they will be right back up there again sooner than later. Ryder, Boak, Gray x2, Hartlett, Ebert, Wines and even Wingard who plays that traditional forward/midfielders role seamlessly rotating between the two positions.
Don't agree with Gold Coast and North Melbourne, would probably replace them with Collingwoodand one of Hawthorn or West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back