35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
I think you have found the right family and Phillip is ‘Bill’. The death notice for the father is in The Age on 13 May 1946 and mentions Bill, but not Phillip.

I’m thinking that Phillip was born at the latest in 1894, given that he is on the Electoral Roll in 1912. He’d have to be at least 18 to be on the Roll.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good one! I didn't end up finding the father's death notice, so that is very handy. It certainly didn't add up that Phillip Francis could be on that electoral roll if he wasn't older than George Frederick Thomas, and the latter just wasn't likely to be old enough to have been playing for Northcote in 1912.
So Bill/Phillip Francis must have been born well before the parents got married.
1637594833994.png

It would now be very surprising if he wasn't the footballer we're looking for. Tracking down exactly when he was born/died may be fairly tricky!

It's a bit of a longshot, but it just could be that this was his birth:
1637618911516.png

Since he was Phillip Francis Billett, and the mother was Elizabeth Mary Ann nee Francis it just might be a possibility!

Last edited:

WhiteHartLane23

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Good one! I didn't end up finding the father's death notice, so that is very handy. It certainly didn't add up that Phillip Francis could be on that electoral roll if he wasn't older than George Frederick Thomas, and the latter just wasn't likely to be old enough to have been playing for Northcote in 1912.
So Bill/Phillip Francis must have been born well before the parents got married.
View attachment 1285540
It would now be very surprising if he wasn't the footballer we're looking for. Tracking down exactly when he was born/died may be fairly tricky!

It's a bit of a longshot, but it just could be that this was his birth:
View attachment 1285603
Since he was Phillip Francis Billett, and the mother was Elizabeth Mary Ann nee Francis it just might be a possibility!
Think this is correct - here is a marriage notice for Phillip Francis Bollard (son of Mr & Mrs Billett) to Olivia Pearl Nelson in 1915
This tree on Ancestry states he was an illegitimate child born to Elizabeth Francis and Phillip Bollard and has a link to WWII Service Record that has DOB 13 April 1890
Vic BDM death is registered as Phillip Francis BOLLARD in 1975 - probate notice shows death date of 30 Jul 1975.

Most electoral roll records seems to be under Phillip Francis Bollard - he was a bootmaker by trade and seems to live in the same areas the footballer was playing.

Think we are getting close - seems very likely he is our man to me (but still relies heavily on his father's death notice!)

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
I think we're getting real close!! There's no doubt at all that the chap the AFL have in their records is not the right chap, and somebody needs to take his place! So is this the footballer?:
1637658184280.png

Phillip Francis Bollard was at Yea in 1925, the same year that we know "Billy" Billett (who had played for Fitzroy and South Melbourne) went from Collingwood to Yea (who he apparently coached). We know George and Elizabeth Billett were at Yea in 1925 as well.

I actually posted this same 'clip' on the previous page without noticing that P. F. Bollard was at the same Abbotsford address in 1924 as George and Elizabeth Billett! At that stage we weren't looking for a Bollard!:
1637650536985.png

Another tree on Ancestry has this, confirming the DOB as 13 April 1890:
1637646622099.png

It's hard to figure out why he so often used the Bollard name (including when he got married) yet played football as a Billett. Where the name Bill or Billy came from is another mystery, but I don't think that is a great concern (he actually had a sibling/half-sibling William Thomas Francis born 1883 according to a couple of Ancestry trees). When the father (George Billett) died in 1946, Bill (not Phillip, who wasn't named) was the first of the children listed. I think there's more than enough evidence now that this is our player.

Last edited:

the croucher

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
I think we're getting real close!! There's no doubt at all that the chap the AFL have in their records is not the right chap, and somebody needs to take his place! So is this the footballer?:
View attachment 1285953
Phillip Francis Bollard was at Yea in 1925, the same year that we know "Billy" Billett (who had played for Fitzroy and South Melbourne) went from Collingwood to Yea (who he apparently coached). We know George and Elizabeth Billett were at Yea in 1925 as well.

I actually posted this same 'clip' on the previous page without noticing that P. F. Bollard was at the same Abbotsford address in 1924 as George and Elizabeth Billett! At that stage we weren't looking for a Bollard!:
View attachment 1285854

Another tree on Ancestry has this, confirming the DOB as 13 April 1890:
View attachment 1285816

It's hard to figure out why he so often used the Bollard name (including when he got married) yet played football as a Billett. Where the name Bill or Billy came from is another mystery, but I don't think that is a great concern (he actually had a sibling/half-sibling William Thomas Francis born 1883 according to a couple of Ancestry trees). When the father (George Billett) died in 1946, Bill (not Phillip, who wasn't named) was the first of the children listed. I think there's more than enough evidence now that this is our player.
Well done all involved in the Billett/Bollard research. I like your work !
I too am convinced right person now known.

Note too that 1912 electoral roll would naturally be first to show him as his DOB in 1890 makes him 22,
and from 1901 to 1972 elections you had to be 21 to vote.

WhiteHartLane23

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So... to summarise the proposed change:
Details for Billy Billett (Northcote, Brunswick, Fitzroy, Yarraville, SM, Collingwood reserves, Yea) to be updated to:

Legal Name: Philip Francis Bollard (note: birth registered as Philip Bollard Francis)
Known as: Bill(y) Billett (in football reports/records)
Birth: 13 April 1890 at Collingwood, Victoria
Death: 30 July 1975 at Parkville, Victoria

note: Volunteer Defence Corps service in WWII

WhiteHartLane23

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Arthur Rayson (Geelong) is listed with DOB 1 December 1898 in football sources.

However multiple Ancestry trees show 1 Dec 1901 as birth date, Vic BDM records show birth of Arthur William Rayson in Dunolly, Victoria registered in 1901, his death in 1970 cited his age as 68 and contemporary reports like this and this also are consistent with the 1901 date.

I'm at a bit of a loss to see where the 1898 date came from but it seems clear that correct DOB is 1 Dec 1901.

Summary: Change date of birth for Arthur Rayson (Geelong) from 1 December 1898 to 1 December 1901

WhiteHartLane23

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Alan/Allan Reid (Geelong) has a number of discrepancies in details as recorded in different sources:

Wikipedia has him as Alan Reid, DOB 14 Dec 1926
AFL Tables has him as Allan Reid, DOB 14 Dec 1926
Australianfootball.com has him as Alan Reid, DOB 14 Dec 1926
Encyclopedia has him as Alan L Reid, DOB 4 Dec 1926
Harder Than Football has him as Alan Leslie Reid, DOB 4 Dec 1926
WWII Record has him as Allan Leslie Reid, DOB 4 Dec 1926
The few football articles that I could find on Trove that have a given name seem to use Alan e.g. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article23082179
Headstone on his grave has name Alan Leslie Reid
Vic BDM has marriage as Allan Leslie Reid
Electoral Rolls have him as Allan Leslie Reid (mostly living in Drysdale)
Vic BDM has death as Alan Leslie Reid

…difficult to know from all of this what is correct but consistency in football records would be good. It feels like he might have been born as an “Allan” but used/preferred “Alan”? Not sure where the 4th/14th Dec DOB variation comes from… the only official source in the list above is the WWII record but perhaps AFL have date from actual birth certificate?

the croucher

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Alan/Allan Reid (Geelong) has a number of discrepancies in details as recorded in different sources:

Wikipedia has him as Alan Reid, DOB 14 Dec 1926
AFL Tables has him as Allan Reid, DOB 14 Dec 1926
Australianfootball.com has him as Alan Reid, DOB 14 Dec 1926
Encyclopedia has him as Alan L Reid, DOB 4 Dec 1926
Harder Than Football has him as Alan Leslie Reid, DOB 4 Dec 1926
WWII Record has him as Allan Leslie Reid, DOB 4 Dec 1926
The few football articles that I could find on Trove that have a given name seem to use Alan e.g. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article23082179
Headstone on his grave has name Alan Leslie Reid
Vic BDM has marriage as Allan Leslie Reid
Electoral Rolls have him as Allan Leslie Reid (mostly living in Drysdale)
Vic BDM has death as Alan Leslie Reid

…difficult to know from all of this what is correct but consistency in football records would be good. It feels like he might have been born as an “Allan” but used/preferred “Alan”? Not sure where the 4th/14th Dec DOB variation comes from… the only official source in the list above is the WWII record but perhaps AFL have date from actual birth certificate?
The original marriage certificate possibly best source for given name as he would have signed that one himself.
And yes, the AFL which have apparent connections to the BDM office should be able to confirm DOB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad