Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Just watching the last quarter from last night and some highlights from the Richmond win and it really hits home that we're supporting almost an entirely different side from the 2012 premiers and even compared to last year's grand final team.

The fact that we've stormed back into contention, on the back of the quality youth coming through the ranks, really gives me confidence beyond this season. Just looking at the numbers it's astonishing to see the difference in the lists, and we look set to be challengers for the next few years at the very least.

2012 line-up

B: Shaw Richards Mattner
HB: Johnson Grundy Smith
C: Jetta Jack Hannebery
HF: Bird Reid O'Keefe
F: McVeigh Goodes Roberts-Thomson
FOLL: Mumford Kennedy Bolton
I/C: Malceski Pyke Parker Morton
EMG: Armstrong Dennis-Lane Walsh

2016 line-up (Bolded played in 2012)

B: Lloyd Grundy Smith
HB: Mills Laidler Rampe
C: Jack Kennedy McVeigh
HF: Mitchell Franklin Parker
F: Papley Tippett McGlynn
FOLL: Naismith Hannebery Heeney
I/C: Rohan Jones Hewett Richards
EMG: Cunningham Nankervis Marsh

2017 (Last night) - Bolded debuted in the last 2 years

B: Smith Grundy Lloyd
HB: Mills Rampe Newman
C: Rohan Kennedy Heeney
HF: Hewett Franklin Towers
F: Jack Reid Papley
FOL: Naismith Hannebery Parker
I/C: Florent Hayward Melican Sinclair
EMG: Edwards Foote Marsh

Add Jones who is a relative new comer and Aliir who debuted last season and that's 10 guys that are now the nucleus of our future. It's not just the turnover of our list but the fact that these kids are playing huge roles and not just being carried. Mills is a general down back, Heeney is a gun in the middle or up forward, Papley can be a match winner in the middle or kicking goals, Florent and Hayward add pure class, Hewett is already cemented in the midfield while Melican and Newman are easily holding their own.

Only a small percentage of this team will be 30 or older next year. If we can keep them together I think we've got another flag in us.

Last edited:
Absolutely we are building towards a very special era. That's why it is crucial we keep Jones and Reid. The young players coming through will get better over time and we need Reid and Jones while they are in their prime during this period.

Really nice job, DeadlyAkkuret! It's really amazing to see that apart from that patch at the beginning of the season, we have been so completely competitive while turning over our list with the exception of half a dozen (you forgot to bold McVeigh).

I too have great faith for the future! The coaches, all of them, have seriously done brilliantly to achieve this!

The biggest question in regards to our list will be asked in 3-4 years. That is, how the **** does one replace Josh Kennedy. But most of the moves we have made so far have worked.

Kennedy is only 29 and doesn't rely on speed and his really durable so should see at least 3 more seasons out of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back