List Mgmt. List within a list 2.0 (players 25 and under)

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think there's anything wrong to develop your own if you like a prospect, as we're doing with TDK. But the timing and situation does have to be monitored. If we had picked up TDK 2 years before we did he would probably be putting his hand up for a trade this offseason and we would be getting peanuts on our investment because of limited exposed form.

Thankfully TDK's readiness is probably going to coincide with the ending stages of Kreuzer's career so will give him a good chance to be our lead ruck in the future.

My main issue with rucks is the fact that a majority of them are not viable until over 24 years of age. That is often 6 years after they've been recruited. It is also hard to project the rucks that will make it and those that will fail.

We had Jacobs on our list for donkey years and when he became viable, off to Adelaide he goes. It happens year in year out that teams poach viable ruck options.

Sep 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
My main issue with rucks is the fact that a majority of them are not viable until over 24 years of age. That is often 6 years after they've been recruited. It is also hard to project the rucks that will make it and those that will fail.

We had Jacobs on our list for donkey years and when he became viable, off to Adelaide he goes. It happens year in year out that teams poach viable ruck options.
Yeah, I see that too.
It's a bit of a juggle and we juggled it poorly in this situation. It was also a period where the 2 ruckman teams were on the verge of fading out. It was poor management to have all those rucks on the list at the one time, all young and aspiring best 22 players.

I like the way we have gone about it this time around though. Kreuzer at the end of his prime, draft a young prospect you really like (TDK). Chuck in a couple of mature back ups who cover for Kreuzer in the 1s but also understand their place on the list. If we lose faith in TDK long term and Kreuzer is about done, then recruiting a best 22 ruckman from another side becomes the best option. Should all go to plan TDK is ready to hit the ground running when Kreuzer is finished.

Back