List your teams 5 best youngsters

Remove this Banner Ad

From a port perspective, I'd argue that Wines and Wingard make the best 22 of every team in the comp, Hombsch had an injury interrupted year but would definitely get a gig at most teams as well, is capable of an AA year if he stays healthy. Impey and Bryne Jones are still improving, unclear what their ceiling is right now but right now theyre in our best 22. Not having a first rounder over the last few years has hurt our list profile a little bit but I feel we've done very well for our picks with our last lot.

Long? Mc Kenzie? For St.Kildas sake I hope not. If they are in their best 5 youngsters the cupboard is pretty bare. Just about include Billings with them too. He is an embarrassment.
Typical Bulldog response re Billings. You're the embarrassment mate.

1. Mason Wood
2. Luke McDonald
3. Taylor Garner
4. Jed Anderson
5. Ben McKay
6. Sam Durdin
7. Paul Ahern
8. Jy Simpkin
9. Brayden Preuss
10. Ed Vickers-Willis
11. Trent Dumont
12. Kayne Turner
13. Ryan Clarke
14. Daniel Nielson
15. Declan Mountford
16. Mitch Hibberd
17. Josh Williams
18. Ash Watson
19. Nick Larkey
20. Corey Wagner
Lmfao, wow thats bad

From a port perspective, I'd argue that Wines and Wingard make the best 22 of every team in the comp, Hombsch had an injury interrupted year but would definitely get a gig at most teams as well, is capable of an AA year if he stays healthy. Impey and Bryne Jones are still improving, unclear what their ceiling is right now but right now theyre in our best 22. Not having a first rounder over the last few years has hurt our list profile a little bit but I feel we've done very well for our picks with our last lot.
I don't think there's any need to argue that a player would get a game in another team's best 22.

If people seriously argued that Wingard and Wines aren't very good young players they'd be laughed at.

An embarrassment? :)
Billings can play but has had a muddled season.

Sure The Dogs just won themselves a Premiership but soon that will simply be last seasons story.
Don't go full black belt just yet...............no matter who good you think your young players to be.
They are not good mate they are outstanding and will the story for the next decade let alone last year.

Typical Bulldog response re Billings. You're the embarrassment mate.
Just stating the truth mate. We all know he has ability and could improve quickly, but at this stage, for a draft pick taken that high and before Bontempelli, his performances have been very average. He needs to pull the finger out, but watching him, I dont think he has it in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's any need to argue that a player would get a game in another team's best 22.

If people seriously argued that Wingard and Wines aren't very good young players they'd be laughed at.

Just an expression. Don't actually care enough to do so. Believe someone did express earlier in the thread they didnt think port's youth was too flash so was just addressing that conception

An embarrassment? :)
Billings can play but has had a muddled season.

Sure The Dogs just won themselves a Premiership but soon that will simply be last seasons story.
Don't go full black belt just yet...............no matter who good you think your young players to be.

Especially considering most defenders seemed to work Stringer out last year.

Let him go for the high ball because he won't mark it, then watch as he tries to barge his way through 3 opponents without giving it off and get done holding the ball.

1-Zach Merrett. Has brownlow written all over him. Very S.Mitchell like with his composure and read of the game. Disposal is top notch. Best kid ive seen come through our doors since Heppell.
2-Orazio Fantasia. After experiments on the wing and HBF, he came into his own as a marking/evasive small forward with a good sense for the goals. One of the better shots on goal in our team......though that isnt saying much
3-Aaron Francis. Hasn't played a lot of AFL, but his VFL form and trajectory given he had a longer road to take fitness-wise has impressed. Smarts, Strength and Skill. Looking forward to his 2017 more than most
4-Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. Sort of a kid. The revelation of 2016. The big question will be where we play him. Dangerous as a small forward providing pressure, effective as a rebounding defender and a menace when running through the middle. Even if he has hit his ceiling, if he can consistently provide that output for the next 3-5 years, he will go down a star
5-Andy McGrath. While he is yet to kick a ball in anger, it's hard to leave someone with his ability off this list. Awareness, pace, strength and work ethic combined with clean skills on both sides.

Respect for Wines but I see Wingard as a big front runner. Don't rate him as much as others do.

4-Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. Sort of a kid. The revelation of 2016. The big question will be where we play him. Dangerous as a small forward providing pressure, effective as a rebounding defender and a menace when running through the middle. Even if he has hit his ceiling, if he can consistently provide that output for the next 3-5 years, he will go down a star

Tippa proved a real find in 2016 but surely he does not rate ahead of - or anywhere near - Joe Daniher.

Acres
Billings
McCartin
Gresham
Membrey

Ross and Newnes left out cause they are closer to 24 than 23.

Steele, Goddard, McKenzie, Lonie, Sinclair are a few others I think have the potential to be on this list by the end of next season.

If it's a question of who are the best, as in most talented/with the most upside to have the best career- as opposed to best performed at the moment, I'd say:

Blake Acres- Was very raw and consistently injured when he came to the club, but is gradually starting to put it all together and off the back of his first full preseason and injury-free year, he came home with a bit of a rush at the end of this year, once he'd found his feet and got to play more consistently in the midfield. 192cm, finds the ball, has elite running genes, takes the game on and gets through packs or congestion like an eel- thanks presumably to his basketball background I'd say- and is good overhead.

Paddy McCartin-
I've seen the likes of Barry Hall and Nick Riewoldt come through in my time following the club and I reckon all things being equal he has it in him to be if not as good as them, not far off it, thanks to his pack marking, elite 1-on-1 marking ability and leading and exceptional hands below his knees. Just needs a consistent run at it and to keep improving his fitness and strength. Said because of his diabetes he only did about 40% of his first preseason and 80% of his 2nd.

Jade Gresham-
Wasn't hugely excited about us getting him this time last year, but he quickly grew on me this year, with his incredible, Milne-like footwork, ability to step up when it mattered, a couple of his tremendous handballs and the way he's always looking to take the game on in particular. His game against Carlton when moved into the middle (for his first sustained go there) was a real eye-opener as well. Could be very good both on ball or deep forward down the track.

Jack Billings-
Super classy and skillful, but needs to start delivering on his footy talent and get his body stronger and fitter. Once he does, will start carving teams up on the wing in particular I expect.

Tim Membrey- Just keeps kicking regular goals, week after week, year after year, whatever level he's playing at. Took a big leap forward last season off the back of much greater fitness and apparently having shed a bit of bulk last preseason and is apparently aiming to shed a bit more bulk and build greater fitness again for next year- presumably to play more of a lead-up role to the wings and so-on, with Paddy playing more of the inside-50 role that Tim played a lot of this year.

Honourable mentions to Hugh Goddard, Seb Ross (could have had either at 5), Jack Steele, Jack Newnes, Jack Lonie and Nathan Freeman (pending hamstrings) in particular.
Billings start carving teams up? He would struggle to carve Melton Sth up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back