List your teams 5 best youngsters

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical Bulldog response re Billings. You're the embarrassment mate.
Not all Dogs supporters are the same.
Most of us are relieved and thankful that we finally got our recruiting and player development right so we can win the bloody thing. Personally I have waited 44 years.
All clubs **** up at the draft table including the successful clubs, they just do it less often.
If you want to remind a Dogs supporter of our **** ups how about picking Christian Howard ahead of Nat Fyfe and Jarrad Grant ahead of Danger and Cyril. Ouch!!

Not a bad joke, but your other one of naming SPS and Harry McKay as your best young players and they haven't played a game yet is better. But the best of all your jokes was that Marchbank, Plowman and Silvagni plus some others will be 150+ gamers.

Got me laughing anyway so thanks
The hardest part about comedy is knowing your audience. The good thing about my Acres joke was that it was pretty universal. Intelligent people, and absolute morons like yourself can both get it. Because you'd have to be an absolute moron to type out the second bit

I find Sicily an enigma. He is now way undersized for a marking forward, but that seems to be his go.

Feel that he needs to have a more rounded game.
Results are the only that matters, he's a young player and will add more elements to his game has he develops. Averages more contested marks and goals a game than Tom Boyd so he has a nice platform to build off.

Results are the only that matters, he's a young player and will add more elements to his game has he develops. Averages more contested marks and goals a game than Tom Boyd so he has a nice platform to build off.
He may well add more elements, but he absolutely needs to.
After a promising start in the semi final he went missing. If he is going to depend on his marking, I don't see a long career.

Not a list of best to worst. But a list of number of respondents in this thread by each teams' supporters:

Essendon (12)
St Kilda (9)
Melbourne (8)
Collingwood (7)
Carlton (6)
Adelaide, Bulldogs (5)
Suns (4)
Brisbane, Fremantle, Geelong, Giants, Hawthorn, Kangaroos, Port, Sydney, Eagles (3)
Richmond (1 complete list of 5)

Not a list of best to worst. But a list of number of respondents in this thread by each teams' supporters:

Essendon (12)
St Kilda (9)
Melbourne (8)
Collingwood (7)
Carlton (6)
Adelaide, Bulldogs (5)
Suns (4)
Brisbane, Fremantle, Geelong, Giants, Hawthorn, Kangaroos, Port, Sydney, Eagles (3)
Carlton and melbourne supporters are underrepresented!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Following on from the "List your teams 8 best players" thread, who are your teams best 5 younger players? Listing players aged 23 or younger only. I just want to mention that I don't think new draftees should be excluded from some teams list. Just because a new draftee is yet to play a game doesn't mean they are a lesser prospect than a second year player drafted in the 60's who played 1 or 2 okish games in 2016 for example.

Brisbane Lions-

1. Josh Schache
2. Harris Andrews
3. Eric Hipwood
4. Tom Cutler
5. Hugh McCluggage

Schache and Andrews are our bookends for the next 10 years. They have both shown some very promising signs in a short period of time. Hipwood is an exciting but raw prospect who could form a dangerous partnership with Schache for a long time to come. Cutler is a super quick attacking weapon playing off the half back flank who can go forward and kick goals. He is tall, fast and powerful and could become our JJ. McCluggage taken with pick 3 is probably the most talented player on our list, I am excited to see what he can offer in 2017 and beyond.

How is Mathieson not listed :/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Mathieson not listed :/
This thread is less about current output and more about their future potential. I'd have Mathieson in the 6-8 bracket alongside guys like Mayes, McStay and Gardiner, however, I think the 5 that I listed have the most star potential whereas I see Mathieson becoming more of a contested, workhorse type. Don't get me wrong I rate Matho highly and think he could become a high level player and depending on how he goes in 2017 I might rate his chances of becoming a star a lot higher. Wait and see I suppose.

Essendon (12)
St Kilda (9)
Melbourne (8)
Collingwood (7)
Carlton (6)
Adelaide, Bulldogs (5)
Suns (4)
Reeks of desperation from Bombers supporters.

I'm late in adding my thoughts into this thread, but FWIW out of GWS's crop of 23 & under in order (IMHO):

1. Dylan Shiel (87 games) - a consistent performer within our young mids over time (4 top 10 finishes in BnF over last 5 years; from 2013 until 2016 respectively 4th, 9th, 7th, 6th). Has displayed his skills (explosive pace from the contest) and plenty of potential, probably just been let down a little by losing a few games to injury each year & carrying an injury at other times. Hasn't hit his peak in any year to date - if he does though, then, anything is possible for him.

2. Jezza Cameron (93 games) - has some deficiencies that means he can run hot and cold (as well as had some injuries), but if you measure his main output as goals scored, then he's been very good in the years unaffected by injury. Has had multiple high finishes in the Coleman race, an AA selection and 3 top 10 BnF places (1st, 3rd & 4th) in 5 years, so both output and potential ceiling are high.

3. Josh Kelly (60 games) - I've rated him here (above others with output) due to the OP's comments about rating potential above output. Always been highly rated at GWS, but found it difficult at times to shine amongst the many other players, but we saw a glimpse of that potential with a 4th place BnF finish in 2016, and expected to continue his rise up the rankings in 2017.

4. Toby Greene (98 games) - I know that a lot of people don't think much of Toby, but he's actually a pretty consistent performer of the young Giants, although I agree with some thoughts that his ceiling is probably less than others. Notwithstanding, 4 top 10 BnF finishes (1st, 2nd, 6th and equal 10th) over the past 5 years indicates consistent high level of performance, rewarded with his AA selection in 2016. I think that at his career's end, a few people might be surprised at what he will have achieved.

5. Steve Coniglio (85 games) - Cogs has always been well regarded at GWS, but as an inside mid has had measured development in terms of on-field rated performances. He is starting to get some plaudits recently though, with successive top 10 BnF finishes in the last two years (5th then 3rd) and selection in the 40-man AA squad in 2016. Still improvement left in him, but perhaps not as high a ceiling as others - though if he can be similar to Cal Ward in consistent & uncompromising performance over time, he will serve GWS extremely well.

All of these players have benefited from being selections early in GWS's history, such that they didn't have to fight as hard to gain & then hold a place in the team, and that is now benefitting both them and GWS with their amount of experience and on-field performance growing to an optimal level.

The next player I would have rated is Dev Smith, who suffered from an untimely injury in 2016, but with 3 top finishes (equal 2nd, 6th & 10th) in the past 5 years has plenty of output to date. There are others with potential to star, such as Jacob Hopper, General Patton & Rory Lobb, but their demonstrated output is less than those above so I'll rate them at this point in time just below those with consistent form on the board.

Typical Swans and their COLA. Thread asks for 5 but puts forward 6 !

Depending on definition of "youngster" I would say:
JOM
Mitchell
Sicily
Burton
Brand

Hayward was just a bonus prediction because he was just drafted.

Taking out the Bulldogs regulars for a bit of balance -

5. Roarke Smith - had played senior footy off the rookie list, done his acl but returned again this season. Rebounding defender in the Easton Wood mould.

4. Bailey Dale - handy goalkicking utility who has played afl.

3. Lukas Webb - drafted and played AFL as a half back but largely groomed as an inside mid in the vfl in 2016

2. Zaine Cordy - not yet a regular but afl premiership player as a defensive forward. Dale Morris replacement long term.

1. Bailey Williams - probably my best pick to be a star. Excellent foot skills, nice size and hunts the ball.

All these players have played AFL but aren't the more high profile ones. Very similar to most other sides at this point.

Taking out the Bulldogs regulars for a bit of balance -

5. Roarke Smith - had played senior footy off the rookie list, done his acl but returned again this season. Rebounding defender in the Easton Wood mould.

4. Bailey Dale - handy goalkicking utility who has played afl.

3. Lukas Webb - drafted and played AFL as a half back but largely groomed as an inside mid in the vfl in 2016

2. Zaine Cordy - not yet a regular but afl premiership player as a defensive forward. Dale Morris replacement long term.

1. Bailey Williams - probably my best pick to be a star. Excellent foot skills, nice size and hunts the ball.

All these players have played AFL but aren't the more high profile ones. Very similar to most other sides at this point.

Agree with Williams being the best of that group. Will be a great player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back