Listening to live commentary at the game

Remove this Banner Ad

I just wanted to confirm that a stand-alone digital radio (not delivered through mobile) still gives a delay?

I've previously used an old-fashioned analog and was considering upgrading to a portable digital radio this year for better reception and sound quality. But if there's a delay then that's definitely a no-go.

DAB+ has a delay. Not as bad as streaming apps but impossible to follow the play.

I just wanted to confirm that a stand-alone digital radio (not delivered through mobile) still gives a delay?

I've previously used an old-fashioned analog and was considering upgrading to a portable digital radio this year for better reception and sound quality. But if there's a delay then that's definitely a no-go.

That's my understanding yes- a digital radio will have a delay.

I went to buy one last year and the salesman (to his credit) told me not to buy one for live sport.

Stick with analogue but get one with a electronic tuner rather than an manual tuner. There is very little quality difference between an good analogue radio vs a digital radio. Also if you don't get a good signal in the stadium, the digital radio could be pretty much useless.

I think I need to buy a radio for my wife - she wants to try this She's relatively new to the game and still picking it up, so she finds the commentary on TV helps (excluding Brian Taylor, obviously). She wants a radio so she can get the same thing at the live games.

I made the switch to listening to the game at the ground a couple of years ago after attending a game at the MCG between Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs. I was so engaged in the contest that I had absolutely no idea Collingwood had no available rotations due to injury for the entire last quarter until after the game.

After that I bought myself an el cheapo little battery operated radio with headphones and have used it every time since. If there’s a delay then it’s so small I don’t even notice it and I find it gives a better grasp of what’s going on.

I don't own one but have tried out one of these before: http://www.sportsears.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=12

Gives a really interesting perspective at the ground, you can clearly hear the umpires talking to the players, explaining decisions etc. Also has the option of both FM radio and TV commentary.

Note to all, their license to operate on AFL ends at the end of this year.
I can't find word on what, if anything, will replace them as yet.

Last edited:
Yep still use the wireless when at the game. Normally tuned in to K rock Football
I bet you stand out in the crowd with this sitting on your shoulder to listen to.......

Atwater_Kent_627.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've muted commentators for nearly 20 years now, hell no. Would rather listen to the crowd and the action. Watching the footy with friends I always get mad at the commentators or just annoyed at their constant prattling. I dunnoh, even at their best I don't need someone stating the obvious or tryharding like King.

I've muted commentators for nearly 20 years now, hell no. Would rather listen to the crowd and the action. Watching the footy with friends I always get mad at the commentators or just annoyed at their constant prattling. I dunnoh, even at their best I don't need someone stating the obvious or tryharding like King.
I agree with most/all of this, but I like to know what is going on and you can miss a lot of little things being at the ground which are brought to your attention through the radio. It's a trade off really.

I have one of these

View attachment 539555

Very small, decent reception.

Only have one earbud inserted so I can still hear the crowd and mates.
Yeah I only use one earbud as well, but I always make sure I put it in the same side as my missus is sitting to try and drown out the sound of her asking ridiculous questions

Sitting in essendon members is unbareable so I always have the wireless going. Don't know why b.t gets all the hate, I love the idiot squad on triple m.

I agree with most/all of this, but I like to know what is going on and you can miss a lot of little things being at the ground which are brought to your attention through the radio. It's a trade off really.
As an old bastard with old bastard eyes I need the audio to keep track of the oppo players properly.
I also liked having the umpires in one ear when using the sports ears

Probably a stupid question, but what are those little things people have on their ears? I first noticed them at the cricket last year.
Radio-esque earpieces that broadcast the various radio and television commentaries to your ear.

Radio commentary remains far, far better than television. For the simple reason of competition - TV rights are exclusive so once the network has paid for them, they have absolutely no reason to improve their coverage or commentary... you can’t go anywhere else.

Radio is far better because if it’s shithouse, you just switch stations. If their ratings are s**t then they have to do something about it.

******* idiots like BT, Russell and Ling would get the arse if we could all just switch over to another channel to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back