Little Athletic record Holders In The AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Riewoldt won a state Bronze medal in Shot Put. U12s or 13s I think. Also was a bit of a high jumper (surprise). Chris Judd was a star 800m runner at 9 or 10.

There's always a few. Star football kids are good athletes. By about U13s or so, the local comps (eg - EFL work with TAC Eastern Ranges) start pushing the good kids into the advanced AFL programs, and there's no time for athletics. A few of them get to run at the school sports, and generally still show up.

Because Australia has such a (relatively) small population, and 2x major football codes (plus soccer and Rugby Union), most of our good athletes gravitate towards those, rather than sticking with aths. I don't blame them - a lot more money in football, a lot more mates, a lot more interesting competitions. Unless you really, really love athletics, it's a fairly easy choice.

Jack Riewoldt won a state Bronze medal in Shot Put. U12s or 13s I think. Chris Judd was a star 800m runner at 9 or 10.

There's always a few. Star football kids are good athletes. By about U13s or so, the local comps (eg - EFL work with TAC Eastern Ranges) start pushing the good kids into the advanced AFL programs, and there's no time for athletics. A few of them get to run at the school sports, and generally still show up.

Because Australia has such a (relatively) small population, and 2x major football codes (plus soccer and Rugby Union), most of our good athletes gravitate towards those, rather than sticking with aths. I don't blame them - a lot more money in football, a lot more mates, a lot more interesting competitions. Unless you really, really love athletics, it's a fairly easy choice.
I loved little aths, only stopped through lack of support pretty much, did it until i was 10 i think at the Kodak centre in Coburg and i loved school athletics.

Caleb Marchbank holds the Benalla u10 high jump record at 1.26, that record will never be broken due to the incoming age group changes taking affect at the start of next season, my boy is 8 and competes in the u9s, next year he'll be in u11s, quite a jump.

I got a bronze medal in the 4x100m Vic championships in U9s or something like that...ran the second leg in the final and think I held my own, didn't gain or lose ground...but I never played AFL...wait, whats this thread about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a bronze medal in the 4x100m Vic championships in U9s or something like that...ran the second leg in the final and think I held my own, didn't gain or lose ground...but I never played AFL...wait, whats this thread about?
Very nice accomplishment, as for what the Freds about, i'll confess, my son is doing well in athletics, he's broken a few records (takes after his mother) , just wanted to see how athletics performances correlates into AFL (which he is quite keen on as well) but BBall is king ATM.

Last edited:
Been hammering the web, apparently vertical leaps (although handy) isn't the be all and end all in high jump, Jed Bews jumped 1.30 as an u9, i don't recall seeing him standing on many heads, as an adult he would clear 2 metres easily in high jump (that's standing on Danihers head).

Also, jumping high does't mean you can jump long, need speed to jump long.

Not sure if he holds any records but Ryan Willits (former Port player) was a seriously good shot putter. I used to compete against him every year and he had everyone covered comfortably. Even when I broke my schools u/15 record I didn't really get near him

I believe Gary Ablett Snr still holds several records down in the Latrobe Valley.

Which ones?

Nothing that i can find for Traralgon.

They used to say that if you shook a tree in druin an Ablett would fall out....so maybe high jump?

Both Geoff and Gary Snr still hold Interschool sports records that they set in the 70's out here in Gippsland. When I was in school up here 30 years ago noone was getting within an elephants trumpet of them. Their regional little aths records have been broken over the last few years.

Last edited:
Both Geoff and Gary Snr still hold Interschool sports records that they set in the 70's out here in Gippsland. When I was in school up here 30 years ago noone was getting within an elephants trumpet of them. Their regional little aths records have been broken over the last few years.

I see.

Proof of their freakishness.

I believe Gary snr would have been world class at just about any sport he chose.

I see.

Proof of their freakishness.

I believe Gary snr would have been world class at just about any sport he chose.
All of the Ablett brothers are athletic freaks. Geoff more than proved his credentials by winning several GF sprints against guys that had run professionally like Doug Cox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back