Little Athletic record Holders In The AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Riewoldt won a state Bronze medal in Shot Put. U12s or 13s I think. Also was a bit of a high jumper (surprise). Chris Judd was a star 800m runner at 9 or 10.

There's always a few. Star football kids are good athletes. By about U13s or so, the local comps (eg - EFL work with TAC Eastern Ranges) start pushing the good kids into the advanced AFL programs, and there's no time for athletics. A few of them get to run at the school sports, and generally still show up.

Because Australia has such a (relatively) small population, and 2x major football codes (plus soccer and Rugby Union), most of our good athletes gravitate towards those, rather than sticking with aths. I don't blame them - a lot more money in football, a lot more mates, a lot more interesting competitions. Unless you really, really love athletics, it's a fairly easy choice.
Cricket also competes with little aths and most young kids prefer to play a team sport with their mates, and they get sick of beating or getting beaten by the same kids over and over again, i think that's the main reason little ath numbers fall off a cliff after u10s.

There's a heap of open days for little aths around the state, Knox-Doncaster-Chelsea-Albury-Berwick-Coburg-Seaford-Traralgon to name a few, most of the serious athletes attend those but again, most fall on a Saturday and compete with Cricket.

Cricket also competes with little aths and most young kids prefer to play a team sport with their mates, and they get sick of beating or getting beaten by the same kids over and over again, i think that's the main reason little ath numbers fall off a cliff after u10s.

There's a heap of open days for little aths around the state, Knox-Doncaster-Chelsea-Albury-Berwick-Coburg-Seaford-Traralgon to name a few, most of the serious athletes attend those but again, most fall on a Saturday and compete with Cricket.

There’s plenty of freaks outside little aths as well.
A kid the year above me at high school was a decent footballer (played a bit of TAC for Ranges) but an absolute running machine. Won the district school 100m, 200m and 400m in year 12 but was lazy so just ran the 100m at state high school comp. We laughed as he lined up in runners, footy shorts and a wife beater against all these guys with running spikes, ath club tops etc then proceeded to beat them all by 5-10m. Some guy came and asked him if he’d join a club and he had no interest.
Then a guy I played footy with at Mooroolbark was a state level high jumper. He was playing Ranges with a guy who was in the top couple of 100m runners in the country in his age group at the time. Says one game he grabbed the ball, took off, and an aboriginal kid mowed him down like he was standing still.

There’s plenty of freaks outside little aths as well.
A kid the year above me at high school was a decent footballer (played a bit of TAC for Ranges) but an absolute running machine. Won the district school 100m, 200m and 400m in year 12 but was lazy so just ran the 100m at state high school comp. We laughed as he lined up in runners, footy shorts and a wife beater against all these guys with running spikes, ath club tops etc then proceeded to beat them all by 5-10m. Some guy came and asked him if he’d join a club and he had no interest.
Then a guy I played footy with at Mooroolbark was a state level high jumper. He was playing Ranges with a guy who was in the top couple of 100m runners in the country in his age group at the time. Says one game he grabbed the ball, took off, and an aboriginal kid mowed him down like he was standing still.
Absolutely, my little boy owns his age group and the above age group at our little aths club and he isn't even the fastest kid in his grade.

This is pretty funny.

Bendigo BOYS CENTRE RECORDS
Long Jump
Under 7 Ashley Dixon 3.50 1997/98
Under 8 M Axeburn 4.06 1971/72
Under 9 W Dixon 4.30 1971/72
Under 10 Cameron Todd 5.54 1981/82
Under 11 Ricky Nixon 4.82 1973/74
Under 12 Craig McNaughton 5.02 1981/82
Under 13 Callum Healey 5.39 2002/03
Under 14 Callum Healey 5.65 2003/04
Under 15 Callum Healey 6.02 2004/05

I haven't played at AFL level but can better Ayre's and Scott's LA records for 400m.
Ran 1:04 in 400m when U12 at Williamstown LA centre in 1967 (when it was at Newport football oval) on a s**t track.
2:21 for the 800m wasn't too shabby either.
Just checked that the current 400m record for U12 is 59 + seconds. 800m record is 2:10.

Last edited:
I haven't played at AFL level but can better Ayre's and Scott's LA records for 400m.
Ran 1:04 in 400m when U12 at Williamstown LA centre in 1966 (when it was at Newport oval) on a s**t track.
Just checked that the current 400m record for U12 is 59 + seconds. 800m record is 2:10.
Very nice, some u9 kid ran 1.04 for 400 at the state titles last year, it's incredible how fast some of these kids are.

Ran 1:04 in 400m when U12 at Williamstown LA centre in 1966 (when it was at Newport oval) on a s**t track.

Actually the Little Aths 400m record for U12s is 55-something (the U12 girls can run 59s).. Last year's winner at the State titles ran a 57. I coach the kid who came 2nd in 59.8. (I coach him in Long Jump and hurdles for his multi-event. Can't claim any credit for his speed:D).

Here's a link to last year's results. It also lists the current Vic and Aus Best Performance for each event. It's still possible that somone may have done a better performance at a school event. As an example, Tamsyn Lewis has none of the Girl's 400m records - but she basically smashed everyone through High School. Didn't do Little Aths, however.
http://lavic.com.au/Portals/43/Docu...ield/2017 State Track and Field - Results.pdf

Actually the Little Aths 400m record for U12s is 55-something (the U12 girls can run 59s).. Last year's winner at the State titles ran a 57. I coach the kid who came 2nd in 59.8. (I coach him in Long Jump and hurdles for his multi-event. Can't claim any credit for his speed:D).

Here's a link to last year's results. It also lists the current Vic and Aus Best Performance for each event. It's still possible that somone may have done a better performance at a school event. As an example, Tamsyn Lewis has none of the Girl's 400m records - but she basically smashed everyone through High School. Didn't do Little Aths, however.
http://lavic.com.au/Portals/43/Documents/2017/Track and Field/2017 State Track and Field - Results.pdf
Jeez! 55 seconds for the 400m is really motoring along! Thanks for the info.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back