Little know 80s-90s Metal Gems

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasp? For real? Their album Crimson Idol is the best metal concept album since Operation Mindcrime.

I went to the Poison concert in Adelaide back in the day and it was interesting. The guitar solo was the worst I have ever seen CC sucked.
Yep, CC was the worst guitar player i have ever seen play with a major band....dreadful.

Stryper!!!! By a mile.

Anyway. Lots of good 80s stuff. Only knowing today's Manowar probably makes it unbelievable how good they were back in the days...

Sweden had good stuff as well: Heavy Load, Gotham City, Silver Mountain, Oz (well ok Finland, but pretty close). Same for Germany: Trance, Vampyr, Black Fate...

Don't s**t on Stryper! Some of the best dual guitar attack committed to tape

For the bump, saw skid row Friday night at the Prince Bandroom..... They Played Forever!! Was amaaaazing!
Now that metal is in decline popularity wise it's both great and sad to watch these bands live now. Saw Helloween a couple of years ago live in Adelaide with maybe 250 people in a pub.
They were playing to 80 thousand at festivals in their heyday.

Last edited:
Spot on. Too heavy for the LA crowd but not heavy enough for the thrash fans. Recent album Golgotha their best for 20 years. There's no denying the quality of the debut. First 4 albums actually.
Headless Children is my fave. Classic album

Floodgate feat. Kyle Thomas (Exhorder) Brought out one album, Penalty, in '96.

Last edited:
My Sisters Machine
They are the Seattle version of LA Guns. A break away from Alice in Chains before they were famous. Sounded quite similar.

Would be interested in what other similar lesser known bands people used to listen to.

there might be some band member crossover between msm / aic if i remember. those also-ran grunge bands are something i keep an ear out for but don't have the time to spend looking into. gruntruck, eleven pictures, skin yard etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this count? It was actually a fairly big hit in the US but I'd never really heard of Aldo Nova other than he'd done some stuff with Blue Oyster Cult and wrote songs for Celine Dion(!). Maybe not metal per se but I reckon it's a great hard rock track

Remove this Banner Ad

Back