LIVE: Draft day discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 23 and a pick next year between 40-48 for a bloke they rated at 10-12? I can handle that.

Think we rated him a bit higher than 10-12... ;)

Think we rated him a bit higher than 10-12... ;)
Even better!
A lot of people were talking before the draft (me included) about giving up 16 and 21 to try and get a pick between 10-12 where there is every chance we may have taken Deven anyway.
So the trade seems pretty good to me considering we now have Ports 1st pick next year that we wouldn’t have had under the other scenario.

Lions final picks were 22,33,37,59.
Below list of players the Lions took at these picks since the draft started in 1981. Order is present to oldest with games played in brackets.

Pick 22 - Deven Robertson (0)- D.Gardiner (106)- A.Proud (29)- R.Hadley (66)
Pick 33 - Brock Smith (0)- T.Cutler (66)- J.Adcock (213)- M.Pike (106)- C.Bolton (199)- S.Hart (273)
Pick 37 - Keidean Coleman (0) no previous picks
Pick 59 - Jaxon Prior (0)- L.Hammond (0)

Pick 33 has been very good for the Lions. Will it continue. Tom Cutler now on Essendon list.

Lions final picks were 22,33,37,59.
Below list of players the Lions took at these picks since the draft started in 1981. Order is present to oldest with games played in brackets.

Pick 22 - Deven Robertson (0)- D.Gardiner (106)- A.Proud (29)- R.Hadley (66)
Pick 33 - Brock Smith (0)- T.Cutler (66)- J.Adcock (213)- M.Pike (106)- C.Bolton (199)- S.Hart (273)
Pick 37 - Keidean Coleman (0) no previous picks
Pick 59 - Jaxon Prior (0)- L.Hammond (0)

Pick 33 has been very good for the Lions. Will it continue. Tom Cutler now on Essendon list.
Brock Smith - Guaranteed 150 gamer!

Pick 23 and a pick next year between 40-48 for a bloke they rated at 10-12? I can handle that.

Like yourself and a lot of other posters, I’m happy we traded up and just got the player we wanted. A future 2nd rounder can sound steep for a one pick upgrade, but tied to Collingwood every chance they’ll finish top 4 and that pick is ~40+ as you stated.

Looking at our actual trade cost when we add the Collingwood and Port trades together.
Pick 22 + GWS future 4th = Pick 23, our future 3rd and pick 48.

We slide our future 3rd to a future 4th, loses a pick we couldn’t use anyways. To ensure we get slider we obviously really rated. That’s a very minor premium in my opinion, especially comparing that to what the Suns paid for Sharp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back