LIVE Federal Election Coverage 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking Labor might pick up:
Petrie, Capricornia, Lyons, Barton, Dobell, Lindsay, Robertston, McArthur, Eden-Monaro, Solomon, Bankes, Peterson and might also get Hasluck - so 12/13 seats - well short of the 19 required.

However, Xenophon should pick up Mayo and Barker.

Other seats of interest:
Flynn, Herbert, Braddon, Hindmarsh, Burt, Cowan, Dawson and Bass.

Sturt will be interesting too as Xenophon has campaigned well there, but expect Pyne to hold on.

Higgins will be the other intriguing one. Polling had K O'Dwyer at 44% primary (she got 54% primary in 2013). Greens have run a fairly strong campaign in Higgins. Labor and Independents all preferencing the Greens. There's a potential for this to be the Indi of 2016 - a long shot, but interesting none-the-less.

Sticking with LNP 78, ALP 65, Others 8.

Interesting that the odds of a Labor win were $9.00 yesterday afternoon, in to $5.50 right now.
I was told they had a 1 in 3 chance, so no doubt some maths-based betters are just playing the odds. Unless there were some AM polls of those at stations?

I'm in Canberra, and just returned from voting. I think a fairly high percentage of votes for House of Representative could be donkey votes. It has always been a safe Labor seat and the sitting member is in position 1, with the Greens in 2, Bullet Train for Australia in 3 and Liberals in 4.

A lot of reports of long queues. Are more people voting below the line? Or people struggling to count to six? Or are the AEC simply trying to save money and under-staffing the booths?

I know down in Tas there was a big push for demoted candidates Labor and Liberal to stay in the Senate, requiring a below the line vote. Lisa Singh (ALP, demoted due to asylum seeker views) and Richard Colbeck (Lib, demoted because Abetz and Sam McQuestin hand-picked the Senate ticket in favour of the nuttery faction Abetz leads) have both had supporters trying to get them back, above their party machines' preferred candidates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When do the exit polls start coming out.

Usually about 5.30 or 6.00 we'll get something. They're usually wrong though. 2010 the Galaxy Exit Poll was 52-48 Labor (result was 50-50) and 2013 was 55-45 LNP (result was 53-47 LNP).

You'll know that a party has lost when they're the first to declare "we'll just wait for postal votes". That's a dead giveaway.

We should make a drinking game out of the ABC coverage (and if you're not watching the ABC for election stuff you're doing it wrong imo)

I would say take a shot every time Antony Green has trouble with the touch-screen but we'd probably be smashed 20 minutes into the broadcast.

We should make a drinking game out of the ABC coverage (and if you're not watching the ABC for election stuff you're doing it wrong imo)

I would say take a shot every time Antony Green has trouble with the touch-screen but we'd probably be smashed 20 minutes into the broadcast.
Poor Antony. He can get so angry, but in a well mannered way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back