LIVE Federal Election Coverage 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Then who? The cupboard is the barest I have seen in my lifetime.
I thought the same when Abbott came out of nowhere and took the leadership. I could actually see the Conservatives trying to get someone like Andrews in, even though he would have to be one of the worst possible candidates of all time.

Bishop is popular in some circles, for reasons I don't entirely understand. She actually increased her margin in her seat. As a compromise candidate, she's about the only one left. Morrison has burnt bridges and no one else stands out.

Hope not, terrible choice very unlikable person and did a poor job in her previous ministry.
Very poor communicator and is incapable of controlling emotions. Tanya has well and truly got her covered.

Now we know you're taking the piss, she's one of the best communicators in the current parliament

This implicitly says that you see Muslims as lesser people who need your defence.
This is known as the soft bigotry of lowered expectations. A lot of leftists do not ascribe responsibility upon Muslims (or any other minority) because they do not view them as capable of being responsible.

Hope not, terrible choice very unlikable person and did a poor job in her previous ministry.
Very poor communicator and is incapable of controlling emotions. Tanya has well and truly got her covered.
I think your "bias" might be getting in the way when you say Julie Bishop is a poor communicator. She is pretty decent and based on various shows she has been on. I think your criticisms would be slightly more applicable to Plibersek than Julie Bishop.

I think your "bias" might be getting in the way when you say Julie Bishop is a poor communicator. She is pretty decent and based on various shows she has been on. I think your criticisms would be slightly more applicable to Plibersek than Julie Bishop.
And there is your subjective assessment...
Your opinion is noted and disregarded.

Seriously you need to stop responding to my posts, not interested!

He's a Liberal stooge and I suspect behaves unethically in his workplace as he whined at the idea of more financial services regulation ("red tape").

Bishop can take the mickey out of herself which is good, but isn't as good off the cuff, as shown in the election when quizzed on Super. The big ticks she got at the start of her foreign affair work seemed to me to be mostly because she wasn't anywhere near Abbott, and was the only woman in Cabinet so looked different as well as talking about meatier matters. Her actual record in foreign affairs didn't impress, but maybe she can ship a lot of blame onto the PMO.

The big problem is she is of the left, so if they were kicking out Malc, she wouldn't really be a 'comprimise' candidate. ScoMo seems to only want to be an attack dog and has looked out of his depth. Frydenberg was mentioned by Albo on Q&A, and I think it would be a 'next generation' option they would need to go to. But it's more likely, IMO, that Turnbull will keep bowing to the needs of the right and hope that the economy picks up so they can win power again from that, without having to worry about other issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bishop can take the mickey out of herself which is good, but isn't as good off the cuff, as shown in the election when quizzed on Super. The big ticks she got at the start of her foreign affair work seemed to me to be mostly because she wasn't anywhere near Abbott, and was the only woman in Cabinet so looked different as well as talking about meatier matters. Her actual record in foreign affairs didn't impress, but maybe she can ship a lot of blame onto the PMO.

The big problem is she is of the left, so if they were kicking out Malc, she wouldn't really be a 'comprimise' candidate. ScoMo seems to only want to be an attack dog and has looked out of his depth. Frydenberg was mentioned by Albo on Q&A, and I think it would be a 'next generation' option they would need to go to. But it's more likely, IMO, that Turnbull will keep bowing to the needs of the right and hope that the economy picks up so they can win power again from that, without having to worry about other issues.
What do you think about Simon Birmingham, too far down the order?

He's a Liberal stooge and I suspect behaves unethically in his workplace as he whined at the idea of more financial services regulation ("red tape").
Interesting that you mention 'red tape' when asbestos is back in the news regarding materials in the Children's Hospital in Perth.
I wonder whether any cutting of red tape made import of building material easier.

That is an interesting label. You should report me to the financial services ombudsman right away! I'm so behaving unethically because I simply disagree with a few regulations within FOFA. :$.

Initial provisionals going Labor's way in Herbert (60/40). Back to just 19 votes (LNP leading).

Remaining:
Postals 36
Pre-Polls 398
Provisionals 490
Absentees 199
Wowee. Where's the live feed?

Presumably now the 2 weeks is up there won't be anymore postals...?

UPDATE: 12 votes in it now, after counting ~17 more Provisionals...

Absentees 199
Provisionals 473 (-17)
Pre-Polls 399 (+1)
Postals 42 (+6)

Last edited:
This is a real problem that the Greens need to address. It is difficult to claim legitimacy as an advocate for a demographic that overwhelmingly does not support you. At a certain point you need to make a choice - are they right, or are you? The former requires a policy rethink. The latter attitude has some pretty disturbing implications in a democracy.

I think its coming though.
If we look at America and Bernie Sanders who has pretty much campaigned as a progressive voice similar to the greens and how well he did. Australia has not been exposed to the GFC because of a once in a lifetime mining boom but in time we will face the same issues the world is. 30% of the world bonds rates are negative, governments are printing money like no 2morrow, debt to GDP is psychotic.

Six would have to be a spectacular fail for Di Natale.
My money is on 8 for Greens. Some will see it as a fail but if we have only half Senate elections each time then they will be looking at holding 10-12 Senate seats. If growth continues in Victoria that could get to 11-13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back