LIVE Federal Election Coverage 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Herbert Update: 640 (-70) unprocessed votes to go, LNP lead 7 (-5).

absent 60 (-70)
provisional 316
pre-poll 249
postal 15

The ABC computer is now calling Herbert a Labor gain with 0 seats now in the 'in doubt' column. Seems a big call considering O'Toole is up by 8 votes but given how few there are left to count and the trend we're seeing with the absentees and pre-polls it does seem likely that O'Toole will be in front after this count is complete.

Going to be an interesting Parliament and quite a balancing act for Turnbull.

The ABC computer is now calling Herbert a Labor gain with 0 seats now in the 'in doubt' column. Seems a big call considering O'Toole is up by 8 votes but given how few there are left to count and the trend we're seeing with the absentees and pre-polls it does seem likely that O'Toole will be in front after this count is complete.

Going to be an interesting Parliament and quite a balancing act for Turnbull.

No new votes to count

However a re-count will be conducted.

No new votes to count

However a re-count will be conducted.

Just seen in the comments on Poll Bludger that the count is compete. The votes remaining totals were out of date. So O'Toole has won by 8 votes triggering an automatic recount. Amazing. Is this the closest in history? This is a good one to remind people of when they think that their one vote won't ever have an impact.

Just seen in the comments on Poll Bludger that the count is compete. The votes remaining totals were out of date. So O'Toole has won by 8 votes triggering an automatic recount. Amazing. Is this the closest in history? This is a good one to remind people of when they think that their one vote won't ever have an impact.
2010 is considered the closest. ALP & LNP both with 72 seats a piece.

1961 election was the previous closest. LCP 62 vs ALP 60 (+ 2 territory seats).

For a long time, the 1961 election remained the closest Federal election in Australian history, with the Coalition being reduced to a one-seat majority. The election was decided in the seats of Bruce near Melbourne and Moreton near Brisbane.

In Bruce, Labor's Keith Ewert led Liberal Billy Snedden on the first count, but on the second count more than two-thirds of the DLP's preferences flowed to Snedden, enough to give him the victory.[1]

However, the Coalition was not ensured of a sixth term in government until Jim Killen won Moreton by only 130 votes after receiving 93 vital Communist preferences. [2]

Labor actually won 62 seats, the same as the Coalition. However, without Bruce, the best Labor could hope for was a hung parliament, since two of its seats were in ACT and Northern Territory. At the time, territorial MPs had limited voting rights and were not counted for the purpose of determining who was to form government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_election,_1961

Aware of that. I'm wondering whether an 8 vote margin is the closest in an electorate.
Federally, it's 31 votes (McEwen 2007)

Liberal Fran Bailey defeated Labor Rob Mitchell following a recount and court challenge.

http://results.aec.gov.au/13745/Website/HouseDivisionFirstPrefs-13745-226.htm
http://www.theage.com.au/national/fran-bailey-wins-mcewen--finally-20080702-30k0.html

2014 Fisher state by-election in SA is the closest for any Australian election. That was just 9 votes.

By-election caused by the death of sitting independent MP Bob Such. The Australian Labor Party candidate Nat Cook beat the Liberal Party candidate by 9 votes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_close_election_results

Seems to be a pattern developing when coalition spokesmen talk cooperation with labor

Eg tonight some lib senator head said we will extend the olive branch to labor, then within minutes was asking if labor would support.......then highlighting wedge suggestions

Memo guys. Thats not the olive branch, thats pathetically transparent politicking. Mind you it made a nice change from hanson simply sounding like a grumpy old fossiil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be a pattern developing when coalition spokesmen talk cooperation with labor

Eg tonight some lib senator head said we will extend the olive branch to labor, then within minutes was asking if labor would support.......then highlighting wedge suggestions

Memo guys. Thats not the olive branch, thats pathetically transparent politicking. Mind you it made a nice change from hanson simply sounding like a grumpy old fossiil
Yeah, they still take every chance to have a dig. Campaigners. There are so many easy ways to get the budget looking better by being bipartisan, but they won't do anything until they can spend a few weeks trying to make it seem like only their idea is the good idea.

Yeah, they still take every chance to have a dig. Campaigners. There are so many easy ways to get the budget looking better by being bipartisan, but they won't do anything until they can spend a few weeks trying to make it seem like only their idea is the good idea.
Actually Turnbull was terrible on 7.30 tonight, more about Labor, waffle etc.
Think the election got to him.

Actually Turnbull was terrible on 7.30 tonight, more about Labor, waffle etc.
Think the election got to him.
I saw the press reports. I think everyone agrees they're being belligerent and narrow-minded. It sets things up for a leadership challenge as polls keep going down, but at least Turnbull will be able to say one of his commitments came true - there will be 'chaos'. In the House of Reps, in the Senate, in the LNP caucus and in the Liberal Party backroom (breaking news: Damien Mantach just got jail time apparently).

And he's added another broken commitment - changed his Cabinet - and in that interview suggested he would add another - saying that the plebiscite may not happen this year, as promised.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...pree-on-election-morning-20160715-gq6viw.html

Police suspect a close friend of Bill Shorten and other Labor Right factional powerbrokers vandalised polling places in the battleground seat of Melbourne Ports on the morning of the federal election.

Three box cutters were seized from the car they were travelling in, police said, but the men were released pending further inquiries.

They could face charges relating to criminal damage, theft, driving offences and possessing prohibited weapons.

Police will also investigate if false number plates were used on the Jeep, which is believed to be owned by one of the men.
:drunk:

And he's added another broken commitment - changed his Cabinet - and in that interview suggested he would add another - saying that the plebiscite may not happen this year, as promised.

He's turned out to be a more polished Abbott. I can't believe I thought I'd be voting for him for several elections when he took over last year.

He's turned out to be a more polished Abbott. I can't believe I thought I'd be voting for him for several elections when he took over last year.
At least if there's more time to the plebiscite, we can shove some more things on it to ameliorate the costs. Gotta improve that budget every way we can:
  • Do you believe Australia should have gay marriage?
  • Do you believe Australia should become a Republic by 2022?
  • Do you believe Australia should officially recognise the First Australians as the original inhabitants?

At least if there's more time to the plebiscite, we can shove some more things on it to ameliorate the costs. Gotta improve that budget every way we can:
  • Do you believe Australia should officially recognise the First Australians as the original inhabitants?
That would not be a good idea.

Pretty much ensures not all of them would pass.

I'd rather gay marriage gets over and done with by Parliament - but what would legal experts and the High Court know about what's constitutional?

Pretty much ensures not all of them would pass.

I'd rather gay marriage gets over and done with by Parliament - but what would legal experts and the High Court know about what's constitutional?
Of course, but the Liberals don't actually want gay marriage so the plebiscite is a key part of the delaying tactic. If it happens, why not ask a bunch of questions? It's not like people need 'educating' on gay marriage so we can at least ask something more substantial to justify the cost.

I keep hearing in this election Labor had its worst primary vote in many years, yet they (re) gained more seats.
Given that we have preferential voting, why is this important.

I would have thought this may because voters are saying not this time to the major parties but we will put you second.

Does the AEC show primary vote as well as No.2 in their analysis Australia wide?

I keep hearing in this election Labor had its worst primary vote in many years, yet they (re) gained more seats.
Given that we have preferential voting, why is this important.

I would have thought this may because voters are saying not this time to the major parties but we will put you second.

Does the AEC show primary vote as well as No.2 in their analysis Australia wide?
If anything it shows that a large chunk of the left is moving further left, conversely with the rise of One Nation the right is moving further right as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back