LIVE Federal Election Coverage 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

(In the first two counts, formal votes were ruled as informal if the 5's looked too much like S's, despite the voting intention and preferences being clear). But I don't think that morally this will always be the case.

That's the most corrupt thing I've ever heard. Was anyone charged or were any reforms passed after such blatant vote tampering?

It would be so easy to be partisan when deciding which bunch of '5's are not acceptable.

That's the most corrupt thing I've ever heard. Was anyone charged or were any reforms passed after such blatant vote tampering?

It would be so easy to be partisan when deciding which bunch of '5's are not acceptable.
Sounds bloody ridiculous if there was a clear one to four it's pretty clear if it's a 5 or an s

The most ridiculous thing I have been hearing is about the poor soldiers who were on a training exercise. There's early voting for a reason, you numbskulls, you don't call a fresh election because some people chose not to vote.

Now 44 vote lead to ALP. They got a 39 vote turnaround from booth where a bunch of ONP preferences were incorrectly placed in the LNP pile. Almost certain that O'Toole wins it for the ALP on the recount, and I would say equally certain that the LNP will take it to the court of disputed returns. The winner of the recount will be seated regardless while whatever process is going to play out, plays out.

Edit: O'Toole just picked up an extra 3 votes to go to a 47 vote lead.

Edit2: O'Toole lost 3 votes but Jones lost 6 in the last update, ALP lead now 50.

Edit3: O'Toole now up by 73, looks like 10 booths left to recount. If the margin keeps blowing out they'll have to seriously look at changing the 100 vote threshold for an automatic recount.

Last edited:
Now 44 vote lead to ALP. They got a 39 vote turnaround from booth where a bunch of ONP preferences were incorrectly placed in the LNP pile. Almost certain that O'Toole wins it for the ALP on the recount, and I would say equally certain that the LNP will take it to the court of disputed returns. The winner of the recount will be seated regardless while whatever process is going to play out, plays out.

Edit2: O'Toole lost 3 votes but Jones lost 6 in the last update, ALP lead now 50.

Edit3: O'Toole now up by 73, looks like 10 booths left to recount. If the margin keeps blowing out they'll have to seriously look at changing the 100 vote threshold for an automatic recount.
Thinking that the level might need to get changed to 200. Its better to take a little longer and get it right than think it is right.

Election results Funding Winners and Losers - QUEENSLAND HoR

Winners
One Nation - will get $400k for house votes from the 12 seats they ran in, as easily reached the threshold in every one.
Family First - gone from nothing to $150k
Greens - picked up funding on extra 85,000 HoR votes, only missed funding in 3 regional seats. Scored an extra $250k
ALP - with big swing to ALP picked up extra $360k
LNP - held overall vote so picked up $200k
NXT - reach threshold in two seats for $20k

5 independents reached the threshold up from none 3 years ago.

Losers
PUP - lost all of $685k they got in 2013
KAP - down $21k and appears has been swept aside for One Nation

One Nation - yes they can be winners and losers. Only ran in 12 of 30 seats. If they'd run in all seats would've scored probably another $500k. They were getting between 12-17% in each seat they ran.

What this says to me is that if Pauline doesn't implode she is going to have a big say in Queensland politics for a while. They will definitely run candidates in all seats next time and Qld state election. When you are getting 15% of the vote you are no longer a fringe element to be ignored and ridiculed. Next time around One Nation will be much better funded too.

Labor now leads by 51 as of 1pm.
Did that increase from the last total?

What role do scrutineers have, can they question why a ballot is accepted?
It was up almost 1%. 2013 was 5.93% (-0.33%).

The most ridiculous thing I have been hearing is about the poor soldiers who were on a training exercise. There's early voting for a reason, you numbskulls, you don't call a fresh election because some people chose not to vote.
When I was in the services we were all bussed out to a pre-polling station as we'd be on exercise on election day.
Stunned that the OICs wouldn't have considered this.

The recount is complete and the margin is 35 votes to Labor. Now they are going to do a full preference distribution which will take a few days and is highly unlikely to make much difference to anything.

76 seats to the Coalition looks like the final result. Think that means they can't be assured of doing certain things like suspending the standing orders without notice because they won't have an absolute majority after they elect a speaker. To be clear, they'll still have a majority of actual votes (75 out of 149) but not an absolute majority of the house (76 out of 150). It makes a difference for certain things, I believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The recount is complete and the margin is 35 votes to Labor. Now they are going to do a full preference distribution which will take a few days and is highly unlikely to make much difference to anything.

76 seats to the Coalition looks like the final result. Think that means they can't be assured of doing certain things like suspending the standing orders without notice because they won't have an absolute majority after they elect a speaker. To be clear, they'll still have a majority of actual votes (75 out of 149) but not an absolute majority of the house (76 out of 150). It makes a difference for certain things, I believe.

& that assumes everyone is there.

This is a good result :)

Yeah, it makes life substantially harder for the government. Can't afford to have anyone missing a vote and will be very, very vulnerable to threats from certain sections of the party to cross the floor over things like super.

Yeah, it makes life substantially harder for the government. Can't afford to have anyone missing a vote and will be very, very vulnerable to threats from certain sections of the party to cross the floor over things like super.

Won't be seeing the Opposition allowing pairs by the sounds of it.

How do you think crossing the floor on super will affect anything? Surely the opposition want to reduce the generous deductions received by the top 4% of recipients anyway?

As noted pre-election, they are claiming that because it was in the budget, they have a mandate for it, despite none of their budget measures being featured on their election policies page.

I'm hoping that even in light of the slim majority Turnbull moves to the centre. Christensen is already threatening the majority so hopefully moderates can use that as a reason to ensure their policy keep McGowan/Wilkie/NXT happy. I guess we have to wait for the Senate results for that case to be made clearer.

Labor would support most of the changes on Superannuation.

Tasmanian senate result finalised:

5 Labor, 4 Liberal, 2 Green, 1 Lambie. Lisa Singh is successful from Labor's #6 spot. Former Liberal minister Richard Colbeck unsuccessful from the #5 spot.

It's suggested that with either method of allocating long or short senate terms; 2 Labor, 2 Liberal, Lambie and 1 Green will win 6-year terms.

A very bad result for the Liberals. Lambie is more likely to align herself with Labor, so most Tasmanian senator votes will often break against the Libs 8-4.

Last edited:
Now talk of a By-Election in Herbert as neither side will honour the Court of Disputed Returns

What are the possibilities of
1. A By-Election
2. A stronger result either way?
So you mean the LNP aren't going to honour the current decision?

So you mean the LNP aren't going to honour the current decision?
Depends on who you think is telling the truth. The Australian.
The LNP is seriously considering challenging the result in Herbert via the courts if Ewen Jones can’t find a way to claw back the few dozen votes he trails the Labor Party by.

News Limited

Special Minister of state Scott Ryan says it's too early to start talking about a by-election in the electorate of Herbert with votes still being counted.

Depends on who you think is telling the truth. The Australian.
The LNP is seriously considering challenging the result in Herbert via the courts if Ewen Jones can’t find a way to claw back the few dozen votes he trails the Labor Party by.

News Limited

Special Minister of state Scott Ryan says it's too early to start talking about a by-election in the electorate of Herbert with votes still being counted.
The Australian is owned by News Ltd (which is now known as News Corp after the phone-hacking scandal). On the balance of that (The Oz has journos with the good political connections) I would say they will go to court. It buys the more time to pretend they had a really good election. A "solid majority" Turnbull was calling it, so goodness knows how much sauce someone like Scott Morrison has put on the result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back