LIVE Federal Election Coverage 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure he'd get that much of a bump, because those who would be pleased by it are unlikely to vote Liberal anyway.

I also think his ego will see him hanging on for dear life.
There are plenty who will see it as a good thing. It will still mean he is dead inside his own party.

I think if Turnbull had his time again he might of joined Labor not Liberals

There are plenty who will see it as a good thing. It will still mean he is dead inside his own party.

I think if Turnbull had his time again he might of joined Labor not Liberals

See it as a good thing, but not change their votes.

Honestly, the most workable government we could have right now is in Turnbull took a few fellow travelers from the Libs and crossed the floor (well..more correctly, they stayed put and everyone else moved). Of course, he wouldn't do that unless the ALP agreed to keep him on as PM, which seems highly unlikely.

See it as a good thing, but not change their votes.

Honestly, the most workable government we could have right now is in Turnbull took a few fellow travelers from the Libs and crossed the floor (well..more correctly, they stayed put and everyone else moved). Of course, he wouldn't do that unless the ALP agreed to keep him on as PM, which seems highly unlikely.
If he did that the Nationals would dissolve the Coalition and sit in the cross benches. Staying with the right of the Liberal Party will kill them

You kids live in fantasy land if you think parliament will vote on same gay marriage, sorry it will not happen.
It will go to a referendum and defeated by the good people of Australia with the help of our Muslim community.

You kids live in fantasy land if you think parliament will vote on same gay marriage, sorry it will not happen.
It will go to a referendum and defeated by the good people of Australia with the help of our Muslim community.

The number for support publicly are so high now that any opposition isn't going to amount for much...last figure i saw was 805 support for same sex marriage. If that is extrapolated out, then it's all over.

What I would love to see happen is that when we get this joint sitting on the ABCC, that it gets defeated for a Federal ICAC and then, when there is an adjournment moved, the noes win that, marriage equality is put before the joint sitting. Force the hand of the Government so to speak.

That is the funniest thing I've read in ages.

So you suddenly think that an issue where now over 75% are in favour of it will get defeated at a referendum, you are delusional. Also didn't realise that the Islamic community was so large in Australia.

If this goes to a referendum the bookies won't even bother setting odds on it is that one sided.

What I would love to see happen is that when we get this joint sitting on the ABCC, that it gets defeated for a Federal ICAC and then, when there is an adjournment moved, the noes win that, marriage equality is put before the joint sitting. Force the hand of the Government so to speak.
ABCC has no chance, a Federal ICAC would be great, the Libs would never go for it as they know they have a lot more skeletons in the closet than Labor, but the best result will be the further erosion of support of both major parties, even if it does mean One Nation establishes a more permanent foothold. Whilst I would never vote for them having them in Canberra is better than having 4 puppets of the major parties.

If he did that the Nationals would dissolve the Coalition and sit in the cross benches. Staying with the right of the Liberal Party will kill them

As will ignoring them....

Realistically, he's stuffed either way.

That is the funniest thing I've read in ages.

So you suddenly think that an issue where now over 75% are in favour of it will get defeated at a referendum, you are delusional. Also didn't realise that the Islamic community was so large in Australia.

If this goes to a referendum the bookies won't even bother setting odds on it is that one sided.

That's the bit I don't get about the opposition to a plebiscite.

If the numbers are so clearly in favor, then why don't same sex marriage supporters encourage it to happen ASAP, and after it's done use the massive result to slam the door on any opposition?

If it's done through parliament alone, there will always be those who consider it illegitimate/'just another example of the elites running over the will over the people' and call for it to be changed back.

I'm in favor of SSM (actually I think marriage should have nothing to do with government, but same result in this case), but the massive/loud opposition to a plebiscite strikes me as those more closely involved being afraid that the result mightn't go their way, while a simple 'we think it's a waste of money, but hey, bring it on' would seem a hell of a lot more confident.

Last edited:
ABCC has no chance, a Federal ICAC would be great, the Libs would never go for it as they know they have a lot more skeletons in the closet than Labor, but the best result will be the further erosion of support of both major parties, even if it does mean One Nation establishes a more permanent foothold. Whilst I would never vote for them having them in Canberra is better than having 4 puppets of the major parties.

I think all sides has more than enough skeletons to ensure they're all nervous, and while they can probably see the momentum growing for something of the sort, they'll either try to wait it out (hope it goes away..or at least delayed enough that they can get what they can out of it while the going is still good/cover their tracks) or try and set the terms of reference as favorably as possible.

I agree with erosion of support for the majors...ON might be really nasty in some ways, but if that's what a significant potion of the electorate think, then I believe their views should be represented. Better to have whackjobs who honestly represent their views (and those of their constituents) than a bunch of smooth talking party hacks who primarily 'stand' for whoever (quietly/indirectly/corruptly) pays/helps them most.

That's the bit I don't get about the opposition to a plebiscite.

If the numbers are so clearly in favor, then why don't same sex marriage supporters encourage it to happen ASAP, and after it's done use the massive result to slam the door on any opposition?

If it's done through parliament alone, there will always be those who consider it illegitimate/'just another example of the elites running over the will over the people' and call for it to be changed back.

I'm in favor of SSM (actually I think marriage should have nothing to do with government, but same result in this case), but the massive/loud opposition to a plebiscite strikes me as those more closely involved being afraid that the result mightn't go their way, while a simple 'we think it's a waste of money, but hey, bring it on' would seem a hell of a lot more confident.
Apart from the fact it is a waste of $160m from a government which talks up its pathetic economic credentials

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the small matter of the Marriage Act having been changed by Act of Parliament previously. There is literally no need for this glorified opinion poll.
So you keep saying. Are you scared of people having a say? You didn't mind that Ireland had a vote on SSM and passed it!

So you keep saying. Are you scared of people having a say? You didn't mind that Ireland had a vote on SSM and passed it!
Holding the plebiscite shows that the Liberal Party are economic vandals, their credentials on economic management are non-existent. Howard pissed up the longest economic growth period since the 1950s against the wall in tax cuts and delivered nothing else. Debt trebled under the last government, budget deficit increased and they want to cut corporate tax as a result, for what, how about spend that $50b on infrastructure for future generations.

We do not need this plebiscite it is purely a delaying tactic of the religious nut jobs in the Liberal Party living in fairy land about what the country wants, that shows how far out of touch they are and why we have so many problems, because they are inbred from uni, never leaving the party system so have no grasp of reality

Holding the plebiscite shows that the Liberal Party are economic vandals, their credentials on economic management are non-existent. Howard pissed up the longest economic growth period since the 1950s against the wall in tax cuts and delivered nothing else. Debt trebled under the last government, budget deficit increased and they want to cut corporate tax as a result, for what, how about spend that $50b on infrastructure for future generations.

We do not need this plebiscite it is purely a delaying tactic of the religious nut jobs in the Liberal Party living in fairy land about what the country wants, that shows how far out of touch they are and why we have so many problems, because they are inbred from uni, never leaving the party system so have no grasp of reality
I sort of went blah blah blah when you mentioned Howard but both parties need to ignore the polls and just run the knife through spending.

Because the Liberals are not going to respect the outcome of the plebiscite regardless. Bernardi and the other homophobic religious arseholes have made public announcements that they will vote against the legislation change even after the public vote to legalise gay marriage.

So why waste $160 million on a foregone conclusion when the party commissioning it won't respect the result?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I sort of went blah blah blah when you mentioned Howard but both parties need to ignore the polls and just run the knife through spending.
Yes, because all our problems are caused by spending and not the fact we are a low taxing country that wants to cut taxes further while delivering services to a large country :rolleyes: People need to realise things cost money.

We elect, and pay politicians to make these decisions on our behalf, plenty of contentious decisions are made by governments all the time without putting to the people to vote on, carbon pricing, and the war in Iraq are two good examples. This needs to be seen for what it is, a last gasp delaying tactic by a small but vocal minority of conservative politicians.

Perhaps the government could also look at the income side. Like stopping companies avoiding taxation; had the guts to make major changes to superannuation and negative gearing rorts; took a closer look at family trusts; introduced an inheritance tax for estates over (say) $ 2 million; made a real attempt to get at the black economy. There are two sides to the matter.

While looking at spending the first port of call should be defence which governments of all persuasions don't have the guts to rein in.

The problem isn't spending the problem is revenue, if we don't solve the revenue problem which means getting rid of middle class and corporate welfare we are screwed as a country.

If you want to do spending cuts then start with slashing the military budget, get out of USA wars and tell them the alliance is off, it will save billions.

Because the Liberals are not going to respect the outcome of the plebiscite regardless. Bernardi and the other homophobic religious arseholes have made public announcements that they will vote against the legislation change even after the public vote to legalise gay marriage.

So why waste $160 million on a foregone conclusion when the party commissioning it won't respect the result?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
They will pass it if it gets up. Only Bernardi and Abetz are squealing out loud in public.

This whole thing of cutting spending would have made it through if Abbott & hadnt been so pig headed & one sided. Nearly all the 'pain' of cuts were on the most vulnerable people in society. Those at the top of the economic pile got beaten with a feather in comparison. Certainly some middle class welfare cuts & such extravagant waste of time spending, like the F35 dodo, could have made a difference.

The problem isn't spending the problem is revenue, if we don't solve the revenue problem which means getting rid of middle class and corporate welfare we are screwed as a country.

If you want to do spending cuts then start with slashing the military budget, get out of USA wars and tell them the alliance is off, it will save billions.
You can say goodbye to our oil supply if we do that. Plus, we will need more savings than a few billion. We need to cut at least $50b per year. Revenue isn't a problem, yet. Not that I agree with you on this anyway!

You can say goodbye to our oil supply if we do that. Plus, we will need more savings than a few billion. We need to cut at least $50b per year. Revenue isn't a problem, yet. Not that I agree with you on this anyway!
Why is it goodbye to our oil supply, the USA has done more damage to the world's oil supply than anyone, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Venezuela all in chaos because of the USA.

Chopping $50b in revenue in tax cuts is a problem. You can't say you need to cut spending and offer tax cuts, it doesn't work and is basically legalised corruption.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back