News Live Pass scrapped - Kayo now sole streaming option.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
watchafl recommends 7.5Mbps so according to this, I'll just assume 1080p is delivered

I'm not "techy" so wouldn't know, but the picture quality is very good.

One downside is, you can't download the app straight onto your tv so I use a set top box.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not "techy" so wouldn't know, but the picture quality is very good.

One downside is, you can't download the app straight onto your tv so I use a set top box.
...it's a full blown PC for me, connect that to the 4K TV...with mouse/keyboard for full control, I can virtually record a highlight snippet and upload that straightaway in the gameday thread. No fiddling around with some app on tiny screen...might as well watch ants...

Mar 5, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm annoyed that I would need to pay $300 a year as apposed to roughly $99 a year to see the same content. We can't justify that with all the platforms we already have compiled over the Covid period. I guess I'll be spending more time down at the pub :drunk:
Share the login with someone else. That's what I do.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Kayo is the best thing to ever happen to sport lovers in australia.
All AFL Games except GF
All NRL Games Inc GF
Sport everywhere.

All the 30 for 30 docos if your into that sort of thing.

Its the best streaming product available in australia

Will Kayo provide the dollars your* footy club survives on?

* mine too.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
where's the $4/week option ? oh yes of course, $200/year = $3.84/week...yeah that's pretty good actually if you just want AFL.

if we just focus on purely AFL, this is better than Kayo in the sense that Kayo doesn't officially support file downloading (it can be done) but watchafl does.

does anyone know what resolution for watchafl ? is it guaranteed 1080p ?

(although someone could be real anal in arguing that $200/year...is really $200 for the months when there's live footy...there's no "real" footy in oct/nov/dec/fan/feb say, anyway i still think it's a good deal)

You appear to want something for nothing.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Will Kayo provide the dollars your* footy club survives on?

* mine too.

Word is both Foxtel and FTA are pushing for a reduction in rights fees for sport. Seven made a big loss last FY and Foxtel continues to lose subscribers and ad revenue.

Kayo is growing, but if the sport from Foxtel is worth $25 a month, then they 'think' the rest of Foxtel content is worth somewhere between $20 and $70 a month which is pretty concerning thinking, it is not worth anything like that.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Kayo vs Watchafl:

"Kayo will be delivering many of its games in full 1080p high definition and at a frame rate of 50fps, double what you usually see on broadcast TV. That means smoother, more immersive action."

I've always liked this, it just looks so much smoother watching Kayo than crappy ch7 even tho they're both 1080p, Kayo is much higher frame rate (I download games from Kayo for archiving and they're 100fps !!!)

while the review for watchafl picture quality wasn't as good, i'm still fairly confident it would be 1080p and hopefully 50fps.
UI for watchafl seems less advanced than Kayo.

just FYI, down the bottom (could be useful to some of you, is it still valid ? dunno, you might as well ask)

• How Can I Get Kayo Sports for Free?

Aside from the free 14-day trial which gives you access to all of Kayo Sports for free, you can actually access free months of Kayo if you’re a Telstra Plus member on the Silver or Gold tiers. Silver members get one month free, while Gold members get a full three free months of full Kayo access. Check your Telstra account page for details.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Word is both Foxtel and FTA are pushing for a reduction in rights fees for sport. Seven made a big loss last FY and Foxtel continues to lose subscribers and ad revenue.

Kayo is growing, but if the sport from Foxtel is worth $25 a month, then they 'think' the rest of Foxtel content is worth somewhere between $20 and $70 a month which is pretty concerning thinking, it is not worth anything like that.

:thumbsu: I have no insight to the business model being pursued either.
I've had Foxtel for years now & its for the sport*, nothing else is 'must watch'.

* not just footy.

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
It's been a couple of years since I've done full Telstra Live Pass subscriptions as my Telstra TV showed full games on a 12 hour delay with the AFL App. Does anyone know if this will still happen?

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
friends with watchafl,

does your cogwheel (I assume it may be old) now give you 1080p option ?

Aa6xxnre9tl1tZIEUHld8CtAwYbEqw6GGw.png

I've shot the same question to support, waiting for answer.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
:thumbsu: I have no insight to the business model being pursued either.
I've had Foxtel for years now & its for the sport*, nothing else is 'must watch'.

* not just footy.

Agree, the rest of the Foxtel content is only worth anything for the first month or two you have it, then you have burned through the content. If Kayo is worth $25 and Binge is worth $10.....I think they know where cable TV is going......in the bin with Blockbuster.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm annoyed that I would need to pay $300 a year as apposed to roughly $99 a year to see the same content. We can't justify that with all the platforms we already have compiled over the Covid period. I guess I'll be spending more time down at the pub :drunk:
Will you spend more than $201 at the pub? I know I would in one session

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
so where do i want footy content for $0 ? quote me.

(don't think too hard...if I want something for nothing, I already know torrents and streams, I don't need to "ask" anybody on BF or you)

When I say 'appear to', it indicates you did not say it. Go back & read & IF you still dont compre .... no, I wont look to quote you.

Back