Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Carlton really believed they were gonna hand over pick 2 for pick 12 next year they would not have done this trade.

The bold point is just wrong as it relates to what I posted. A club not trading a future pick for a player they rate highly and believe is cheap value, purely because they believe that future pick will be a very high one, is indeed a club resigned to losing. Damn I sure know which mindset I’d prefer to see at my club.

Youve just added in several more clauses than were present in my statement. Comparing apples with oranges. But then again you have been brainwashed by Carlton into believing a 2 win season is the foundation for a tilt for finals the very next season.

Lol Carlton finishing 8th and Adelaide finishing bottom 3.

Carlton fans never cease to amaze with their blind unwarranted optimism.

Don’t misrepresent; the poster clearly stated what their expected scenario was.

A best case scenario is obviously going to be the height of optimism by its very nature o_O while the worst case scenario for Carlton is inversely the height of optimism for the Crows, which the poster stated was an equally unlikely Crow’s premiership.

That you addressed just one aspect of this post is highly disingenuous.

So potentially a top 2 pick for pick 10+ and pick 19.

Actually pick 16 shifted out 3 places to 19 by academy players that were never accessible to begin with.

Potentially top 2, maybe, maybe not.

Could be pick 4 swapped for pick 8, or pick 1 swapped for pick 18. That's the beauty, no one knows for certain.

I think this was an interesting and good trade for both sides.

Blues had to get themselves back into this draft somehow, and they've done whilst still retaining a 1st round pick next year.

Adelaide I feel, is strategically building a war chest for Luko/Rankine. Rankine equal to Smith as arguably the biggest flight risk in the draft. Don't be surprised at all if he demands out after 1 year. Crows will need a good 1st and prob 2nd to get that done.

Forget about the deathriding stuff. Blues are as unlikely to finish bottom as we are top. The perception of a win/ loss will be something just for us fans to gnash over.

I think the clubs themselves will both be satisfied that they have met some longer term strategic aims.

Blues had to get themselves back into this draft somehow, and they've done whilst still retaining a 1st round pick next year.

Adelaide I feel, is strategically building a war chest for Luko/Rankine. Rankine equal to Smith as arguably the biggest flight risk in the draft. Don't be surprised at all if he demands out after 1 year. Crows will need a good 1st and prob 2nd to get that done.

Forget about the deathriding stuff. Blues are as unlikely to finish bottom as we are top. The perception of a win/ loss will be something just for us fans to gnash over.

I think the clubs themselves will both be satisfied that they have met some longer term strategic aims.
Good stuff Peter,

Would not be surprised if the AFL play a heavy part in none of the recruits leaving the GC... especially after the first few years.

Think free agency or after the first contract extension will be your best shot.

Good post.

The trade meets the strategic needs of both parties

Carlton - won’t be big trade participants in the years ahead. We’ve now gone to 4 drafts and invested heavily, this will do, and free agency next years

Adelaide - can top up an already ready made list with a special talent

Would not be surprised if the AFL play a heavy part in none of the recruits leaving the GC... especially after the first few years.

Think free agency or after the first contract extension will be your best shot.
Doubt it in Rankines case.

Indigenous kid being forced to stay away from deep seated family ties - just to satisfy AFL politics?

Nope that won't play out at all well for Gill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne in 2013 won 2 games with a percentage of 54% (Carlton's percentage this year was 59%).
They finished 2nd last that year, GWS won 1 game with a percentage of 50%.

Carlton had a crap year this year, no doubt. But it is not the worst of any side for a few decades.
Not far off it though.

So potentially a top 2 pick for pick 10+ and pick 19.
Or you could say potentionaly pick 1-10 for pick 1-18 and stocker who i hear is a gun. Its unknown atm and i see more risk for adelaide. I also dont see them finishing in the 8. As good as the end of this year was for them. Cleary something is a bit dodgey over there. And there is not enough unity between the group to go anywhere near a premiership

Good post.

My gut instinct, Mark Evans will not allow any of Rankine / Lukosius / Ben King to leave in contract next off-season.

Lukosius / Rankine / King may be available after the 2020 season once they are out of contract.

I suspect Rankine will be the least happy of the trio, and could be available for trade at the end of 2020.

Or you could say potentionaly pick 1-10 for pick 1-18 and stocker who i hear is a gun. Its unknown atm and i see more risk for adelaide. I also dont see them finishing in the 8. As good as the end of this year was for them. Cleary something is a bit dodgey over there. And there is not enough unity between the group to go anywhere near a premiership

We don't know if Stocker will be a gun. The draft is often a crap-shoot, just look at the 2013 draft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_AFL_draft#2013_national_draft

Stocker looks a good inside midfield talent. Note, he was unable to complete a full season this year due to a major jaw injury. Maybe higher if not injured? We will never know.

SOS (and Agresta) apparently had Liam Stocker in their top 10. So their reasoning make sense; hit the first round in the 2018 draft twice (Sam Walsh and Liam Stocker) and preferably not at all next year (trade the Crows pick for a mature player).

At the end of the day it will boil down to players: Stocker and ??? (Carlton) vs ??? (Adelaide).

If our 2019 1st is bottom 2 as many of these "experts" are predicting, the club has more to worry about than where their 1st round pick sits.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to see that the only people spouting absolutes are "experts" predicting a calamity, and Carlton people adopting a wait-and-see approach. A lot of people setting themselves up to look pretty stupid if this works out in our favour.

But again I find myself urging my fellow Carlton supporters to cease wasting their time with idiots who have no ******* idea what is actually going on at our club. Just wait and see what happens and then watch them puss out and disappear if in 12 months time it works out in our favour.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to Crows having pick 1or 2 in next years draft plus an early 2nd round pick as well cause that's probably exactly what's going to happen.

Pretty confident Carlton finish bottom 3 and Adelaide around 8ish.

Doesn't look good on paper

If Carlton finish 16th and Adelaide finish 8th the points Carlton give up points to the equivalent of a pick in the low 20s. And we got pick 19, in a very good draft. Seems like a fairly sensible scenario for both teams on this basis alone.

Factor in Adelaide might have its eye on an SA boy to go top 3, and the Blues might already have some mature talent lined up from another club (like a Shiel where a top 3 pick would be too much) and trade makes even more sense.

Great move by Adelaide, Carlton with a 2 game winning year

Yes they added some talent but not much really

McGovern was struggling to be in best 22 at the end of the year and is a bit injury prone

Newman was on the edge of best 22 at Sydney

Setterfield has pretty much not played a game of footy for 2 years

Fasolo couldn’t get a game at the pies either with all their injuries. I think he will be their best pick up next year

The best for Carlton will be getting Docherty back and natural progression of all their young players. They needed help for Cripps and didn’t get it.

In my opinion they will be better than last year but not by much. I think they will finish 17th above Gold Coast. I just can’t see them being above anyone else.

Ah, the troll is back. Perhaps read what people who actually know something about footy think about Setterfield. McGovern was a required and contracted player from the Crows and clearly a part of the future. And you forgot Walsh, who most experts think will make a contribution immediately. You're a sad person Drewie. So negative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back