Confirmed Live Trade 3: Carlton receive #19 and future 1st from Adelaide for their future 1st

DangerSloane

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Why should we care what he did before he came to the club?

Surely the only relevant aspect is how he has performed at Carlton.

Always seem to forget? I'm not sure anyone has forgotten that.
Who cares what he did before he came to the club? Are you kidding?
Hes a list manager or whatever his title is. He did the same job elsewhere...you seriously don't think his performance in the role is relevant?

Imagine hiring a stockbroker who had consistently loss money stockbroking in other jobs. You don't think that would be relevant?

Wow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crow till I die

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
:rolleyes: yeah our young players are shocking because they haven't played 40 games of AFL for a team that wins 2 games a season.
You wouldn't have a clue about our young players...
But what they forget is that on top of the quality youngsters we have, our player development is lightyears ahead of theirs meaning in our system players are far more likely to make it than fail

DangerSloane

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
But what they forget is that on top of the quality youngsters we have, our player development is lightyears ahead of theirs meaning in our system players are far more likely to make it than fail
Part of that is not having a spot reserved for you just for being drafted.
To get into the side you have to actually work on your flaws and enhance your game.

ad victoriam

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Adelaide definitely don't so we're up on that regard.
No our concern in the future is not youth but fitness and coaching and I believe we have those areas covered.
We are actually getting a nice group of young kids a lot 1st rd selections too, the first time in since the 90's we have had as many 1st rd selections in our side, And it gets better next year. with a possible top 5 pick along with an early 2nd and a potential KPF thru the NGA at this time tip to go early 2nd rd.
The trick is having a very good development team that puts the needs of the Club before wins in the 2nds. We even have a very good ruckman waiting in the wings, that will surprise a few when he plays,
The only shortfall we currently have is young Key Tall Defenders, (I don't Class Doedee as a key tall defender), maybe Butts will surprise a few I let you know at the end of the year.

Thanks for the question but we are looking OK more so when looking to the future with a top 5 early 2nd and NGA KPF in the 2019 draft followed by top Father sons and NGA talent coming thru for the next 5 years. Gives us an even/consistent group of kids coming thru replacing the older player no major drop off expected.

RobR

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
That one player out of 8 first round draft picks might not make it, and that one happens to be a 200cm 20yo who over 13 games averaged 1.6 goals a game and took 23 contested marks. Why would that be concerning?
The one on his list that i was talking about was Cuningham, i think he will make it as well so we will be looking at 100% strike rate with a bit of luck.

Monkey King

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
The one on his list that i was talking about was Cuningham, i think he will make it as well so we will be looking at 100% strike rate with a bit of luck.
Oh, you said Cunningham and McKay in your post. McKay was my first round pick. Cunningham was taken with the end of first round compo pick we acquired in the Yarran trade, so I guess you could call him a first rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brutalitops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
And then they leave Adelaide. Practically a feeder club at this point. Always thereabouts in terms of ladder position, then players leave and you drop down a touch. Then the next crop come through and get you a little higher. Then they leave and the cycle continues. Sunrise. Sunset.

Kane McGoodwin

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
And then they leave Adelaide. Practically a feeder club at this point. Always thereabouts in terms of ladder position, then players leave and you drop down a touch. Then the next crop come through and get you a little higher. Then they leave and the cycle continues. Sunrise. Sunset.
We have just as many players come to Adekaide from Cartlon than vice versa.

In: Gibbs, Menzel, Betts, Jacob's
Out: McGovern, Kerridge (also picked up Wright & Curnow as DFA's)

Brutalitops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
We have just as many players come to Adekaide from Cartlon than vice versa.

In: Gibbs, Menzel, Betts, Jacob's
Out: McGovern, Kerridge (also picked up Wright & Curnow as DFA's)
And is Carlton the only club you lose players to?

As far as Betts and Jacobs go, that was a while ago now and it looks like they are going much further if 2018 is anythingto go by.

Menzel... do you even know the full story? And it aint like he's tearing it up for you mob.

Gibbs, well, you paid a king's ransom albeit a day late and a dollar short. I remember we were 30 odds points down in our Elimination Final against Richmond in 2013. We ended up winning by 20. Gibbs was absolutely crucial. Played an absolute blinder. Would not have won it without him. Wouldve been handy in 2017 for you mob. If theres one club he can play well against, its Richmond. Maybe your list managers arent all that great afterall?

As far as Carltons player retention goes, all of our key components re-signed. We have seemingly address our retention issues at least for the time being. Have Adelaide?

Kane McGoodwin

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows

As far as Betts and Jacobs go, that was a while ago now and it looks like they are going much further if 2018 is anythingto go by.

Menzel... do you even know the full story? And it aint like he's tearing it up for you mob.

Gibbs, well, you paid a king's ransom albeit a day late and a dollar short. I remember we were 30 odds points down in our Elimination Final against Richmond in 2013. We ended up winning by 20. Gibbs was absolutely crucial. Played an absolute blinder. Would not have won it without him. Wouldve been handy in 2017 for you mob. If theres one club he can play well against, its Richmond. Maybe your list managers arent all that great afterall?

As far as Carltons player retention goes, all of our key components re-signed. We have seemingly address our retention issues at least for the time being. Have Adelaide?
The point is laughable you are questioning our retention rate when we have had better net ins from Carlton.

List management isn't just about retention, but trades to balance the list (which we have usually been active) & development. Eg. We knew we were at risk at losing Tippett, so we traded in Jenkins on the cheap a year prior. We didn't match the Dees offer to Lever as we had Doedee ready to go & preferred the 2x #1 picks to build the list elsewhere. No major issues with our list management.

Whereas Carlton have traded out many of their mid age players to other clubs, but not replaced them with similar quality... hence the position you are in.

Jeremias

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
MUFC, LAL, PSG
Moderator #1,391
Who cares what he did before he came to the club? Are you kidding?
No, I’m not kidding.

His performance at the helm at Carlton is the only thing I care about.

If he succeeds at Carlton only a simpleton would suggest that achievement is diminished because he didn’t (which is also debatable) at the Giants.

I would have thought that’s very obvious.

Last edited:

Brutalitops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
The point is laughable you are questioning our retention rate when we have had better net ins from Carlton.
Under our current list management team headed by Silvagni you have netted Menzel and Gibbs. Gibbs you lined our pockets well for, though had you of done so a year earlier you could have have jagged a flag as your squad had approached the end of their window in 2017.

Menzel... well, Carlton supporters know why we cut him. Probably the same reason he wound being delisted by your mob after only only playing 4 games. Werent for lack of talent or injuries :)

THE_GUN

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Piss Off You Troll

Gibbs would not have made any difference to the result of the 2017 grand final

THE_GUN

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Piss Off You Troll
Might be an idea to re-watch the 2013 Elimination Final
That has nothing to do with the 2017 grand final between Richmond/Adelaide
The tigers are a very different team with different personel and game plan - Your just making things up now
Bryce Gibbs in the 2017 Grand Final would not have been the difference between the crows winning or losing'

also Judd was the player that got the blues going in that game as well as Waite & Betts kicking 7 goals

Brutalitops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
That has nothing to do with the 2017 grand final between Richmond/Adelaide
The tigers are a very different team with different personel and game plan - Your just making things up now
Bryce Gibbs in the 2017 Grand Final would not have been the difference between the crows winning or losing'

also Judd was the player that got the blues going in that game as well as Waite & Betts kicking 7 goals
Yeah. Heard all that in the lead up and during the game. "No chance" was all the expert opinions. Still won. And Gibbs was pivotal. Showed he can play through adversity in September and loves playing against the Tiges.

For arguments sake, how about you bring up his stats for the game. I havent looked, but I bet they are incredible.

THE_GUN

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Piss Off You Troll
Yeah. Heard all that in the lead up and during the game. "No chance" was all the expert opinions. Still won. And Gibbs was pivotal. Showed he can play through adversity in September and loves playing against the Tiges.

For arguments sake, how about you bring up his stats for the game. I havent looked, but I bet they are incredible.
You are changing the topic here, Nobody is arguing that Gibbs was good that game but Judd was the player in the midfield that got your team going and Robinson also apart from the brain fart of punching the ball for a behind was also a very good player on the day but it was not Gibbs which won the game
4 Goals to waite & 3 Goals to Betts really got Carlton over the line but that was then and not 2017

Richmond was a very different team from 2013 with 13 players from what i remember no longer at the club or retired or didnt play and a completely different game plan.

But if you think that Gibbs would have made the difference then you clearly didnt watch the 2017 grand final properly

Brutalitops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
You are changing the topic here, Nobody is arguing that Gibbs was good that game but Judd was the player in the midfield that got your team going and Robinson also apart from the brain fart of punching the ball for a behind was also a very good player on the day but it was not Gibbs which won the game
4 Goals to waite & 3 Goals to Betts really got Carlton over the line but that was then and not 2017

Richmond was a very different team from 2013 with 13 players from what i remember no longer at the club or retired or didnt play and a completely different game plan.

But if you think that Gibbs would have made the difference then you clearly didnt watch the 2017 grand final properly
Great post. Great post.

Gibbs' match stats though? From memory he was prolific. Why are you avoiding this?

Top Bottom