Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
And is Carlton the only club you lose players to?

As far as Betts and Jacobs go, that was a while ago now and it looks like they are going much further if 2018 is anythingto go by.

Menzel... do you even know the full story? And it aint like he's tearing it up for you mob.

Gibbs, well, you paid a king's ransom albeit a day late and a dollar short. I remember we were 30 odds points down in our Elimination Final against Richmond in 2013. We ended up winning by 20. Gibbs was absolutely crucial. Played an absolute blinder. Would not have won it without him. Wouldve been handy in 2017 for you mob. If theres one club he can play well against, its Richmond. Maybe your list managers arent all that great afterall?

As far as Carltons player retention goes, all of our key components re-signed. We have seemingly address our retention issues at least for the time being. Have Adelaide?
Gibbs would not have made any difference to the result of the 2017 grand final

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Might be an idea to re-watch the 2013 Elimination Final
That has nothing to do with the 2017 grand final between Richmond/Adelaide
The tigers are a very different team with different personel and game plan - Your just making things up now
Bryce Gibbs in the 2017 Grand Final would not have been the difference between the crows winning or losing'

also Judd was the player that got the blues going in that game as well as Waite & Betts kicking 7 goals

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
That has nothing to do with the 2017 grand final between Richmond/Adelaide
The tigers are a very different team with different personel and game plan - Your just making things up now
Bryce Gibbs in the 2017 Grand Final would not have been the difference between the crows winning or losing'

also Judd was the player that got the blues going in that game as well as Waite & Betts kicking 7 goals

Yeah. Heard all that in the lead up and during the game. "No chance" was all the expert opinions. Still won. And Gibbs was pivotal. Showed he can play through adversity in September and loves playing against the Tiges.

For arguments sake, how about you bring up his stats for the game. I havent looked, but I bet they are incredible.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Yeah. Heard all that in the lead up and during the game. "No chance" was all the expert opinions. Still won. And Gibbs was pivotal. Showed he can play through adversity in September and loves playing against the Tiges.

For arguments sake, how about you bring up his stats for the game. I havent looked, but I bet they are incredible.

You are changing the topic here, Nobody is arguing that Gibbs was good that game but Judd was the player in the midfield that got your team going and Robinson also apart from the brain fart of punching the ball for a behind was also a very good player on the day but it was not Gibbs which won the game
4 Goals to waite & 3 Goals to Betts really got Carlton over the line but that was then and not 2017

Richmond was a very different team from 2013 with 13 players from what i remember no longer at the club or retired or didnt play and a completely different game plan.

But if you think that Gibbs would have made the difference then you clearly didnt watch the 2017 grand final properly

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
You are changing the topic here, Nobody is arguing that Gibbs was good that game but Judd was the player in the midfield that got your team going and Robinson also apart from the brain fart of punching the ball for a behind was also a very good player on the day but it was not Gibbs which won the game
4 Goals to waite & 3 Goals to Betts really got Carlton over the line but that was then and not 2017

Richmond was a very different team from 2013 with 13 players from what i remember no longer at the club or retired or didnt play and a completely different game plan.

But if you think that Gibbs would have made the difference then you clearly didnt watch the 2017 grand final properly

Great post. Great post.

Gibbs' match stats though? From memory he was prolific. Why are you avoiding this?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
And then they leave Adelaide. Practically a feeder club at this point. Always thereabouts in terms of ladder position, then players leave and you drop down a touch. Then the next crop come through and get you a little higher. Then they leave and the cycle continues. Sunrise. Sunset.
Yes..current home developed first team players such as sloane, b crouch, m crouch, d talia, tex, smith, laird, brown, douglas, atkins, greenwood, doedee, milera amongst others have all left the club?..i must have missed it

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Great post. Great post.

Gibbs' match stats though? From memory he was prolific. Why are you avoiding this?

Mate im not avoiding anything and his stats if you want them badly enough find them you want me to fight your argument for you lol

Unless he had 40+ possessions 11 tackles and kicked 3 goals (which i dont remember him doing during the game) he really was not the player that won the game for Carlton and as i said I remember Judd being the player that got Carlton going , Wait and Betts driving us supporters mad with kicking goals and also remember Robinson doing some really hard things during the game.

Gibbs from memory had a decent game but cant remember him doing anything spectacular or anything that really stood out in my mind

And he wouldnt have made a difference in the 2017 GF , You are delusional if you believe 1 player could have changed the course of that game where the entire adelaide team played below their standard on the day, What makes you think that on that day gibbs would have played a blinder to win it for them.

Also google is probably the place to look for what you may need

goBlue

Debutant
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll explain it for the 7th time to you Carlton fans, because you're clearly not getting it.
We dont gift games to our draftees, whether they're first round picks or not.

Carlton have consistently had spaces for draftees in the past decade. No need to earn a spot.

Tom Doedee didnt get a game for 2 years. Came in, 2nd in the rising star.
Where was Dow in the voting? Just out of interest? Oh he got 0 votes...yeh good year though.
Your team is lacking in small forwards with Betts being injured, and the loss of cameron.
He shoud slot straight in

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Your team is lacking in small forwards with Betts being injured, and the loss of cameron.
He shoud slot straight in

a) its the offseason
b) betts isnt injured
c) we have plenty of options there especially after this draft.
d) not even sure what point you're trying to make.
e) if we're lacking small forwards then what about Carlton having none?

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Great post. Great post.

To suggest Gibbs would have made at least an eight goal difference in the 2017 grand final based on his stats from a game in 2013 is ridiculous, even from the usuals in this thread.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
And then they leave Adelaide. Practically a feeder club at this point. Always thereabouts in terms of ladder position, then players leave and you drop down a touch. Then the next crop come through and get you a little higher. Then they leave and the cycle continues. Sunrise. Sunset.

Feeder club that somehow finishes above you every season.
What does that say about Carlton?

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No, I’m not kidding.

His performance at the helm at Carlton is the only thing I care about.

If he succeeds at Carlton only a simpleton would suggest that achievement is diminished because he didn’t (which is also debatable) at the Giants.

I would have thought that’s very obvious.

Just a tip: His ability to actually do the job is what will reflect in his performance at Carlton.
You're contradicting yourself. There is a strong correlation between success at his old job and success at his new job.

For example I wouldnt hire Archbishop Phillip Wilson to babysit.

goBlue

Debutant
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
a) its the offseason
b) betts isnt injured
c) we have plenty of options there especially after this draft.
d) not even sure what point you're trying to make.
e) if we're lacking small forwards then what about Carlton having none?
During the season Betts was injured...
Precisely, after this draft... Galluci couldve played this year.
I never said we weren't lacking small forwards.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
During the season Betts was injured...
Precisely, after this draft... Galluci couldve played this year.
I never said we weren't lacking small forwards.

Betts missed a few games and was ably replaced by Lachy Murphy.
Gallucci is more of a forward flank than a deep forward, very different style of player.
He is eventually our replacement for Richard Douglas. Spending time on a forward flank and in the midfield rotation.

Also he did play this year: 16 games including embarrassing Carlton for 17 touches 6 marks 4 tackles and 4 goals.

Just a tip: His ability to actually do the job is what will reflect in his performance at Carlton.
You're contradicting yourself. There is a strong correlation between success at his old job and success at his new job.

For example I wouldnt hire Archbishop Phillip Wilson to babysit.

Just a tip: lose the condescending tone.

The only thing I care about is how Silvagni performs in his role at Carlton. Huff and puff all you like but I really couldn't give a s**t how you or anyone else evaluate his prior performance.

It's laughable to think that should he be successful at Carlton his achievements there are diminished because of a lack of success elsewhere. And I reckon most rational people who aren't just looking to argue would probably agree.

I'm not even going to bother with your 'example'. Suffice to say it is absurd, irrelevant and completely inappropriate.

Time to get this topic back on track. Take your petty bullshit elsewhere thanks. Maybe the Adelaide board is a better place for you to discuss big bad SOS and his slamming laptop.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Just a tip: lose the condescending tone.

The only thing I care about is how Silvagni performs in his role at Carlton. Huff and puff all you like but I really couldn't give a s**t how you or anyone else evaluate his prior performance.

It's laughable to think that should he be successful at Carlton his achievements there are diminished because of a lack of success elsewhere. And I reckon most rational people who aren't just looking to argue would probably agree.

I'm not even going to bother with your 'example'. Suffice to say it is absurd, irrelevant and completely inappropriate.

Time to get this topic back on track. Take your petty bullshit elsewhere thanks. Maybe the Adelaide board is a better place for you to discuss big bad SOS and his slamming laptop.

Just saying he's less likely to be successful if he hasn't been successful at the same role in the past.
Thought this was pretty obvious. I get that you only care about what he does at Carlton.

Edit: wasnt mod bashing. Was asking if this behaviour is acceptable.

Last edited:
Just saying he's less likely to be successful if he hasn't been successful at the same role in the past.
Thought this was pretty obvious. I get that you only care about what he does at Carlton.

I reckon if you asked most GWS fans they'd say Silvagni did a pretty decent job up there, all things considered.

Very different and difficult set of circumstances to deal with and they've been a strong team for a few years now despite not yet going all the way.

I know you're trying to find fault in anything and everything to do with him but you're right, ultimately I don't care what happens at the Giants because it's of no relevance to what happens at Carlton.

All we should be judging the job he's doing at Carlton is what's actually happening at Carlton, and to this point in time I'm very comfortable, including with the decision to pull the trigger on the trade this thread is for.

No doubt you and others will come back with all sorts of things but I reckon the reality of the situation is most opposition fans don't have a full understanding of what he has done, why he has done it, and how it has been of benefit to us.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I reckon if you asked most GWS fans they'd say Silvagni did a pretty decent job up there, all things considered.

Very different and difficult set of circumstances to deal with and they've been a strong team for a few years now despite not yet going all the way.

I know you're trying to find fault in anything and everything to do with him but you're right, ultimately I don't care what happens at the Giants because it's of no relevance to what happens at Carlton.

All we should be judging the job he's doing at Carlton is what's actually happening at Carlton, and to this point in time I'm very comfortable, including with the decision to pull the trigger on the trade this thread is for.

No doubt you and others will come back with all sorts of things but I reckon the reality of the situation is most opposition fans don't have a full understanding of what he has done, why he has done it, and how it has been of benefit to us.

Myself and others will come back with all sorts of things because we arent biased.
You sound like you're 'hoping' hes doing a good job rather than actually knowing he is.

We wont know just yet, and to be fair I dont think the problem has really been drafting, its more of a developmental problem.
Whether that comes from throwing kids in the deep end too early or other factors, I dont know.
Whether that has changed, nobody knows yet.

Back