Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Nothing is sillier than saying "who knows, Carlton might get a star picking later."

If that's the case, everyone should always trade their top picks away for scraps.

Top picks are that way for a reason.
Just like Richard Tambling from Richmond to Adelaide ,Jimmy Toumpas from Melbourne to Port . Jonathan O'Rourke from GWS to Hawthorn ..

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Yup. Long way to go before we see how these trades work out, but if the Blues snag a flag in the next decade, I won’t give a crap about the individual trades that got them there anyway.
It is mostly drafting that going to to get us snagging flags next decade. Trades help but ultimately the drafting is the main way we filling our list with the talent to win premierships.

This trade was negligent.

If was a Carlton fan I'd want SOS gone.

Way too early. What happens if Stocker turns out well? Could SOS have had the crystal ball that Docherty would do his ACL again? Luck plays a role, Carlton haven't had any this year

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
This trade was negligent.

If was a Carlton fan I'd want SOS gone.

I am a Carlton fan, and I love having an extra midfielder from last year's draft that I was not expecting to be able to get that draft night.
Already have a real good feeling about Stocker and how good he will become. It is exciting having live trades as clubs have got to be willing to gamble if they dead keen on some kid on draft night and want to move up draft order to grab them. We got an extra pick we never had. Draft was going to be boring to me after getting Walsh as I thought we did not have another pick until 60's. To find we got another was massive surprise and massive excitement. Football fans in general just not got their head around the nature of these live trades. They are meant to be gambles by nature. It is added dimension to draft day that fans will get to know and enjoy in coming years.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
The further apart Carlton and Adelaides ladder positions become, the more this trade relies on the ability of the Stocker call.

It would be interesting to know if Carlton knew they were giving away pick 1/2 in the draft, would they still consider making this trade.
That is the part I am not completely sure they would do.

Adelaide are currently super happy with their trade, they would have hoped for a top 2 pick considering the current perceived gap between the top two and the rest of the draft class.

Last edited:

MightyTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
If anyones watched Stocker closely in his first 2 games, we have absolutely no reason to be upset with this trade.
If we had the option to reverse the trade now, I wouldn't do it.
Kid will be a gun.

ps... we got some bloke called Cripps with a pick 13, wouldn't change that trade for 3 pick 1"s
I watched him closely, and other then doing a couple of good things what exactly has he done to show he's worthy of trading a future pick 1-3 away for?

What’s wrong about backing your club in? It should be seen as a good thing for Carlton to back themselves to improve.

They have enough top picks another no1 pick won’t help

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It’s partly about splitting our assets to build our depth, which is currently shocking.

We probably figure two 7’s are better than one 9, and if Stocker and/or (say) Pick 14 end up better then we’ve done very well.

Edit - looks like plenty of decent flankers available in the first round of this year’s draft, which we should look to bring in if we retain the Adelaide’s pick.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
I watched him closely, and other then doing a couple of good things what exactly has he done to show he's worthy of trading a future pick 1-3 away for?
I think he's shown that he's comfortable at the level, which is all you can ask of a 2 gamer. In fact his 2nd game was a significant improvement on his first against a much better opponent (Pies)
So you expect him to be BOG in his first couple of games to justify the trade?

MightyTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I think he's shown that he's comfortable at the level, which is all you can ask of a 2 gamer. In fact his 2nd game was a significant improvement on his first against a much better opponent (Pies)
So you expect him to be BOG in his first couple of games to justify the trade?

His second game was markedly better then his first, but other then doing a couple of good things, no more so then any other young teenager, what exactly makes you think he's going to be a gun or worthy of a top 1-3 pick?

And no he doesn't have to be bog justify anything, but if we're judging him on potential cost ie potential pick 1-3 then yes, he hasn't shown anything special at all to be justified that type of pick.

Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
His second game was markedly better then his first, but other then doing a couple of good things, no more so then any other young teenager, what exactly makes you think he's going to be a gun or worthy of a top 1-3 pick?

And no he doesn't have to be bog justify anything, but if we're judging him on potential cost ie potential pick 1-3 then yes, he hasn't shown anything special at all to be justified that type of pick.

It may take 3-5 seasons to answer your question.
If SOS and co rated him a top 10 pk as has been reported then its a fair deal.
Its so controversial atm because no other club had the balls to do it.....they obviously wanted him for a reason.
As it stands i expect Adelaide to finish around 6th ( I think Richmond, Gws and WCE to finish above them), and i'm hoping we can maybe get to 16th.
If that plays out its pick 3 for 13 & 19.
Pts wise 2234 (3) to 2160 (13,19) fairly close.
However it is unfair to criticise the kid himself, which many have (not you).

MightyTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
It may take 3-5 seasons to answer your question.
If SOS and co rated him a top 10 pk as has been reported then its a fair deal.
Its so controversial atm because no other club had the balls to do it.....they obviously wanted him for a reason.
As it stands i expect Adelaide to finish around 6th ( I think Richmond, Gws and WCE to finish above them), and i'm hoping we can maybe get to 16th.
If that plays out its pick 3 for 13 & 19.
Pts wise 2234 (3) to 2160 (13,19) fairly close.
However it is unfair to criticise the kid himself, which many have (not you).
Let's hope Carlton can get a few wins on the board and this all gets forgotten about.

Rightfully or wrongfully this is going tonne a story so long as Carlton sit near the bottom, similar to how Hawthorn has/had been criticized for trading its future picks to St Kilda for O'Meara and had looked like a horrible deal but is now forgetting about.

And I'm sure Stocker will have a good career and be a fine player.

Way too early. What happens if Stocker turns out well? Could SOS have had the crystal ball that Docherty would do his ACL again? Luck plays a role, Carlton haven't had any this year

What it hinges on is would they have got more if they traded their likely top 3 pick this year than what they got for it last year and would whoever they picked at 1-3 this year been better than Adels R1 plus Stocker. Given i rate Walsh but I think Rowell and Anderson are better than him i think both qs are yes IMO.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Just like Richard Tambling from Richmond to Adelaide ,Jimmy Toumpas from Melbourne to Port . Jonathan O'Rourke from GWS to Hawthorn ..
Feel free to have your club trade their high picks away to the opposition every year. You clearly feel they have no value and you can't be trusted with them.

Back