Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyones watched Stocker closely in his first 2 games, we have absolutely no reason to be upset with this trade.
If we had the option to reverse the trade now, I wouldn't do it.
Kid will be a gun.

ps... we got some bloke called Cripps with a pick 13, wouldn't change that trade for 3 pick 1"s
You also took Boekhurst with a pick 19.

I watched him closely, and other then doing a couple of good things what exactly has he done to show he's worthy of trading a future pick 1-3 away for?
Getting ragdolled by Cunnington when trying to tackle him was pretty good.

We're talking Rowell or Anderson here. I'd be fuming right now.

You know I heard the same about Jack Trengove...those two might be guns, they may not.

Carlton have backed their team in and went after a specific player. Who knows Stocker might be better than either Anderson or Rowell.

You also took Boekhurst with a pick 19.
So what’s your point?
That’s an entirely different recruiting department. In fact the only decision they got right was picking a player at #13 who is now the best player in the AFL.
I suppose you giving up 2 1st rd picks for a 29 yr old who has been dropped this season, the missing piece of your premiership puzzle, was an inspired decision as well. :drunk::drunk:o_O

Screw it, lets assume Adelaide end up with pick 1, Carlton pick 18. Lets assume we bundle pick 18 + something else, for example next years first rounder or a second rounder, for a really good player (idk who, you decide), and stocker ends up becoming a good player, would this outcome be considered a win-win for both clubs?

Surely, surely, surely the Adelaide fans cannot be confident that their club will not * this trade up. I've never partaken in this argument because we are a decade away to seeing how it will properly turn out. But seriously this is a club that:

Cannot retain players for the life of them, they have had that many players leave over the years. Then when one of their SA prodigal sons in Gibbs wants to return, we want McGovern or 2 first rounders in return to which AFC completely * up, miss out on Gibbs and lose a Grand Final. Only to give up 2x first rounders a year later and Gibbs to be an under performer. Carlton also get McGovern a year later! But it's cool, we are losers who applied for a priority pick to which we gained access to mature age star Shane McAdam, whom again we traded to Adelaide in exchange for McGovern (amongst other currency), only for us to pick up Gibbons as a mature-ager later who looks better than McAdam already! I've got no issue with giving SOS a whack when he *s up but he has honestly schooled you guys over and over again.

How the * can Adelaide fans be so confident? The club is rubbish at the trade table, their drafting doesn't seem anything special (5 Rising Star Nominations in the past 5 years - 2 of them have left the club), and they are not even a guarantee to make the 8?

Calm the * down.

Didn’t Adelaide’s current recruiter take Jordan Galluci in the first round?

Their highest ever picks were Angwin and Meesen. Boekhurst being just as relevant as those guys. It’s an easy game too play.

Got no doubt the crows take a brilliant kid with 1/2/3/4/whatever it may be. With the way SOS has drafted particularly in the first round we should hold similar confidence.

Their highest ever picks were Angwin and Meesen. Boekhurst being just as relevant as those guys. It’s an easy game too play.

Got no doubt the crows take a brilliant kid with 1/2/3/4/whatever it may be. With the way SOS has drafted particularly in the first round we should hold similar confidence.

Definitely. I rate both Anderson and Rowell, and see those guys along with Green as being the clear best of this draft.

If I was Adelaide I would prioritise Anderson, but be comfortable taking Rowell (Green will head to GWS).

The number of decent flankers in this draft is going to help us, as hopefully someone will slip through. I've got doubts any player worth a late first will want to come to us, but you never know. I'm thinking one of Stephens/Taheny/Serong slip through, and other decent flankers/small forwards will emerge over the course of the year for us to take.

Seems like a strong draft year overall, without the padding towards the back-end of the first rounder, but the earliest picks would have been in the mix for the best few last year.

I wonder what would have been a better strategy..the one carlton have taken last year to net them walsh, stocker and a likely player in the teens (if the crows 1st is used in the draft)..or if they had traded pick 1 last year to the crows for 8 & 16 + maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder in addition to those 2 picks and taken say caldwell/jones/hately and stocker and saved pick 1 or 2 for anderson and rowell this year. Looking at it like this i think it comes down to how well they use the crows 1st this year as there is every chance a rowell or anderson ends up being as good as walsh based on draft scribe reports

Surely, surely, surely the Adelaide fans cannot be confident that their club will not **** this trade up. I've never partaken in this argument because we are a decade away to seeing how it will properly turn out. But seriously this is a club that:

Cannot retain players for the life of them, they have had that many players leave over the years. Then when one of their SA prodigal sons in Gibbs wants to return, we want McGovern or 2 first rounders in return to which AFC completely **** up, miss out on Gibbs and lose a Grand Final. Only to give up 2x first rounders a year later and Gibbs to be an under performer. Carlton also get McGovern a year later! But it's cool, we are losers who applied for a priority pick to which we gained access to mature age star Shane McAdam, whom again we traded to Adelaide in exchange for McGovern (amongst other currency), only for us to pick up Gibbons as a mature-ager later who looks better than McAdam already! I've got no issue with giving SOS a whack when he ****s up but he has honestly schooled you guys over and over again.

How the **** can Adelaide fans be so confident? The club is rubbish at the trade table, their drafting doesn't seem anything special (5 Rising Star Nominations in the past 5 years - 2 of them have left the club), and they are not even a guarantee to make the 8?

Calm the **** down.

-We turned an injury prone McGovern - a pick in the 40s into a first rounder in a 'super draft.' With two promising forwards in Fogarty and Himmelberg in ressies - his position is easily filled
-Managed to trade in Carltons first two picks - the team that is currently LAST on the ladder.
-Our recruiters were able to make a list capable of finishing top of the ladder out of late picks and rookies

As far as I am concerned - Crows arguably have the best talent identification / development in the comp to remain so competitive after losing so so many players. You have now gifted Haggis probably pick 1 and a very handy pick 19 - perhaps our strongest draft hand ever. We have reason to be confident.

Idk why you are bragging about Gibbons. He has been far from impressive. And you are comparing him to someone that was injured like the first 6 weeks? Riiight.

Hard to say if Adelaide are still in a premiership window, but if they bring in a player equivalent to Walsh or close enough to it via the draft, that does extend it.

I’m not convinced they’ll win the games they would have banked on at the start of the year (Lions, Bulldogs away games for a start), but they’ll win enough to keep themselves in contention.

I’m predicting Carlton to more games than expected. Whether that translates to finishing outside the bottom 3 is anyone’s guess, but in draft terms it doesn’t matter that much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair Trengove likely would've been a gun if he hadn't been cruelled by all those foot injuries. Took away all his pace.

Maybe but the point is a high draft pick is just a number, it doesn't mean they are certain stars. A lot are acting like Anderson and Rowell are already guns...they aren't, they are great juniors. We have seen it way too often before, good juniors don't come on.

Carlton got the player they wanted and he looked at home last week. If you get a 100+ game player for your first rounder the club has done well. He looks good.

So what’s your point?
That’s an entirely different recruiting department. In fact the only decision they got right was picking a player at #13 who is now the best player in the AFL.
I suppose you giving up 2 1st rd picks for a 29 yr old who has been dropped this season, the missing piece of your premiership puzzle, was an inspired decision as well. :drunk::drunk:o_O

So Carlton fans can claim injuries cant be foreseen by their list manager and then immediately try to use the same logic on the oppo. Duurrrrr

Surely, surely, surely the Adelaide fans cannot be confident that their club will not **** this trade up. I've never partaken in this argument because we are a decade away to seeing how it will properly turn out. But seriously this is a club that:

Cannot retain players for the life of them, they have had that many players leave over the years. Then when one of their SA prodigal sons in Gibbs wants to return, we want McGovern or 2 first rounders in return to which AFC completely **** up, miss out on Gibbs and lose a Grand Final. Only to give up 2x first rounders a year later and Gibbs to be an under performer. Carlton also get McGovern a year later! But it's cool, we are losers who applied for a priority pick to which we gained access to mature age star Shane McAdam, whom again we traded to Adelaide in exchange for McGovern (amongst other currency), only for us to pick up Gibbons as a mature-ager later who looks better than McAdam already! I've got no issue with giving SOS a whack when he ****s up but he has honestly schooled you guys over and over again.

How the **** can Adelaide fans be so confident? The club is rubbish at the trade table, their drafting doesn't seem anything special (5 Rising Star Nominations in the past 5 years - 2 of them have left the club), and they are not even a guarantee to make the 8?

Calm the **** down.

You won the Gibbs trade and lost the McGovern trade.

Now we enter this trade and look who appears on top.

We also had players missing like Port - Seedsman, Milera, Gibbs, Doedee, Jacobs & Douglas (won't count an out of form Jenkins). The difference is we have more depth than Port, which is needed to get through a long season.

I'm confident we should finish in the top 8 & reasonable chance of a top 4 finish.

Those outs aren’t remotely close to gray Dixon wines Hartlett Jonas watts and Ebert. Not at all. Jacobs and Douglas are cooked and have been replaced by better players. Seedman has always been up and down. Gibbs has been trash. Milera is good and Doedee excellent.

I don’t buy your depth being better either. You are and always have been reliant on your core group. What you do well is give that core group every chance to succeed, and they do.

Meanwhile port has a coach that despite seeing the crows game plan figured out and countered by other teams literally does the exact opposite. Our senior players are not consistent and let us down.

You’ve had a piss easy draw so far. I don’t think your pick will stay that high it will come back down.

Having said that it won’t matter.

If You get a top 2 pick which looks likely you can add an elite player to build around.

Those outs aren’t remotely close to gray Dixon wines Hartlett Jonas watts and Ebert. Not at all. Jacobs and Douglas are cooked and have been replaced by better players. Seedman has always been up and down. Gibbs has been trash. Milera is good and Doedee excellent.

I don’t buy your depth being better either. You are and always have been reliant on your core group. What you do well is give that core group every chance to succeed, and they do.

Meanwhile port has a coach that despite seeing the crows game plan figured out and countered by other teams literally does the exact opposite. Our senior players are not consistent and let us down.

You’ve had a piss easy draw so far. I don’t think your pick will stay that high it will come back down.

If You get a top 2 pick which looks likely you can add an elite player to build around.
So you don't count our "cooked" players, but you count your own... rumours are Dixon won't play again!

Our depth clearly showed last weekend that it is currently better than yours & we have been managing depth better. The difference is I believe we have more experience at this stage, whereas your team now has more younger types. Eg. O'Brien has spent years improving his craft in the SANFL & was ready to cover Jacobs when needed. We didn't rush Greenwood or Brown back from injury & gave them games in the SANFL.

So you don't count our "cooked" players, but you count your own... rumours are Dixon won't play again!

Our depth clearly showed last weekend that it is currently better than yours & we have been managing depth better. The difference is I believe we have more experience at this stage, whereas your team now has more younger types. Eg. O'Brien has spent years improving his craft in the SANFL & was ready to cover Jacobs when needed. We didn't rush Greenwood or Brown back from injury & gave them games in the SANFL.

Jacobs and Douglas were well and truly done I’m not sure why you’re writing off Dixon not to mention the others who still have something to offer at Afl level.

The second half of your second paragraph is accurate.

Screw it, lets assume Adelaide end up with pick 1, Carlton pick 18. Lets assume we bundle pick 18 + something else, for example next years first rounder or a second rounder, for a really good player (idk who, you decide), and stocker ends up becoming a good player, would this outcome be considered a win-win for both clubs?
I think there is a lot of moving parts with trade. It wil be years before we can work out who won and lost.

How good Stocker becomes + how good the Blues 1st round pick this year is V how good the Crows 1st round pick is.

The Blues have shown a bit so could push up the ladder so then it changes again - giving the Crows pick 5 is different to a top 2 pick IMO.

Also if the Crows fall or rise is another factor.

Rowell and Anderson being talked about as being as good if not better than Walsh is the worry for me. Walsh is the best 1st year player i have seen. Its why I am ok with the Roos finishing botton 2 - we need a Walsh added to out midfield.

As it stands with the Blues last and Crows third I have the Crows in front. But there is a lot to play out and this can flip.

Another pick 1 wont help but a pick 19 will?
This makes no sense.

They have enough of them. It’s time to back your club in. They can use the pick this year let’s say pick 11 or 12 anyway. Stocker is a solid pick who looks a 150-200 game player. Good enough. He gives them 12 months of development as well.

There are zero guarantees that Rowell or Anderson are going to be elite guns. They are only junior stars a lot of players are that.

Give it 3-4 years and it’s likely to be a win-win trade for both.

Our depth is why we won on Saturday night.
We didnt have to bring in guys like Aiden Johnson and Kane Farrell who provides next to nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back