Strategy Live trading on draft night - Guess the first one?

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Looks like we've got 36 on the senior list, can take 4 more. Pretty sure we'll end up with 2-3 father sons on the main list, maybe 1 more on the rookie (Silvagni, Hickmott x2, Manton).

If we split pick 1 into multiple picks we may end up not having enough list spots to match bids on F/S later in the draft. I get the feeling it won't happen.
Carlton elected not to nominate Hickmott
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-04/draft-hopeful-hickmott-better-prepared-than-most-for-step-up
"Hickmott will be available without restrictions to all 18 clubs in the upcoming national draft after Carlton elected not to nominate him as a father-son prospect"

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe so. There has been comment on our board that the crows have an in principle agreement with GC for pick 3. I can't verify the accuracy of this myself but there were a few things in trade period that were strange and have me wondering if this may be and these are around a back end trade we did with them that got them a future pick that was meaningless for us as we could have used another pick in the stengle trade and that almost immediately after we let Francou leave whilst under contract to go to the GC. It all might be nothing but I think there is more to it
Could not imagine Adelaide would engage in draft tampering.
Would have thought the Tippett fiasco was one too many

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could not imagine Adelaide would engage in draft tampering.
Would have thought the Tippett fiasco was one too many
in no way would it be in the realm of draft tampering as it may simply be an agreement between clubs to trade picks and as part of that the crows were happy to allow an assistant coach to move clubs. A deal that is mutually beneficial to all parties

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
in no way would it be in the realm of draft tampering as it may simply be an agreement between clubs to trade picks and as part of that the crows were happy to allow an assistant coach to move clubs. A deal that is mutually beneficial to all parties
You can also assumed , that Port have an agreement with GCS for pick 3 behind the deal with Hombsch .

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
It looks like they currently have 38 players, I think that means they need to add nine players over ND, RD and PSD combined. They have picks 1, 69, 71 and 77. These later picks will all come in a long way with bids on the below 13 prospects, I think it could well be more than the seven spots your later post suggests:
  • Connor McFadyen
  • Isaac Quaynor
  • Will Kelly
  • Oscar Brownless
  • Kieren Briggs
  • Toby Bedford
  • Bailey Scott
  • Tarryn Thomas
  • Nick Blakey
  • Jarrod Cameron
  • Rhylee West
  • Buku Khamis
  • Irving Mosquito
That said, that only gives them four spots filled from the ND, meaning they'd need to rookie or PSD five more players, which seems unlikely.

The impact of clubs matching bids for these players is:
  1. 2 picks before Carlton's second pick completely disappear in matching - blues move up a spot
  2. 1 pick before Carlton's second pick used and 1 moved back (but still before Blues' second pick) - no change
  3. 1 pick before Carlton's second pick and 1 moved back to after blues second pick - blues move up a spot
  4. 1 pick before Carlton's second pick used to match - no change
  5. club uses a pick after blues' second pick to match, moving ahead of blues - blues move back a spot
I don't think there will be too many in the first category. Most should be in the second and 4th category i think.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Can anyone tell me how many list spots Gold Coast will have to fill on draft night?
6 spots for ND Draft , 1 spot for rookie A ( if nobody pick up (wigg, Ris, sheer , leslie )and 1 spot for rookie B .

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
6 spots for ND Draft , 1 spot for rookie A ( if nobody pick up (wigg, Ris, sheer , leslie )and 1 spot for rookie B .
That has you using 2, 3, 6, 26, 29 and 80

I suppose it makes sense for GC to downgrade one of those 1st or second rounders and not have to use 80.

I wouldn't be trading out of that top 6 unless it was too good to refuse though. What are your thoughts?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
That has you using 2, 3, 6, 26, 29 and 80

I suppose it makes sense for GC to downgrade one of those 1st or second rounders and not have to use 80.

I wouldn't be trading out of that top 6 unless it was too good to refuse though. What are your thoughts?
80 is there for a reason,kind of having a look at club filled up their list spots already and who is still available other club overlook. .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-31/giants-suns-set-for-biggest-say-in-this-years-draft

This article says that 80 may not necessarily be used.

So I'd imagine that the suns will be keen to keep 5 high picks in the draft.
No harm keeping a list spot open for DFA ( Pre season Draft or academy player ) . You need to vacant spots for the draft pick you may use .Rght now GC have 6 vacant spot available for Senior list .( Included rookie upgrade ( Macpherson ) and Murdoch )

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
No harm keeping a list spot open for DFA ( Pre season Draft or academy player ) . You need to vacant spots for the draft pick you use .

Or just going 39 on the main list and 5 rookies I presume?

There isn't much time between the ND and the RD, so I think if you want to have 40 on the main list you would just take a late pick in the ND. Unless someone has only nominated for the PSD rather than the ND, but I can't think of any players who would do this?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Or just going 39 on the main list and 5 rookies I presume?

There isn't much time between the ND and the RD, so I think if you want to have 40 on the main list you would just take a late pick in the ND. Unless someone has only nominated for the PSD rather than the ND, but I can't think of any players who would do this?
Nah GC ask for 2 extra rookie spots from AFL for a reason . I gave you an example If Eagles have 3 vacant spots (Max 40) , somebody bid on Cameron after pick 56 , technically he is free but Eagles had no list spots for him ( After picking three draftees ) he go to the club that bid him instead of Eagles .

Another example Eagles pass pick at pick 7o+ without picking Jarrod Cameron decide to go with 39 senior list ,North decided to go 40 senior list and Jarrod Cameron still available and use pick 80+ on him .

Last edited:

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Hoping Crows offer pick 8 & 13 to the suns for pick 3. but I have pretty well given up that we will get into the top 3 or 4 picks and we will most likely take our 8, 13, 16 and 21 into the draft.

would love the crows to have 3, 16 and 21 on draft night.

As usual Port will jag a trade to get the suns pick 3 or the saints pick 4. no doubt the papers over here will read "Port beat the crows to it etc etc" and that weasel Cornes will gloat.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hoping Crows offer pick 8 & 13 to the suns for pick 3. but I have pretty well given up that we will get into the top 3 or 4 picks and we will most likely take our 8, 13, 16 and 21 into the draft.

would love the crows to have 3, 16 and 21 on draft night.

As usual Port will jag a trade to get the suns pick 3 or the saints pick 4. no doubt the papers over here will read "Port beat the crows to it etc etc" and that weasel Cornes will gloat.
Draft night how much clubs can do in 5 minutes ?
IMo if anything GCS and St Kilda already gave what is required for Adelaide or Port to get pick 3 and 4 before draft night .

Last edited:

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Channel 7 news saying blues considering trading 1 for 3 and 6 with the suns to try land Lukosius and Rozee. Doesn’t make much sense to me. Wouldn’t port nab one of them with 5?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Channel 7 news saying blues considering trading 1 for 3 and 6 with the suns to try land Lukosius and Rozee. Doesn’t make much sense to me. Wouldn’t port nab one of them with 5?
Can try , GCS currently have 34 senior list sport and pick 2,3,6,24,29,80 to filled them up . Giving up 2,6 will end up 1,3,24,29, 60+ (from Carlton ), 80

no way Port are passing Luko or Rozee Carlton don't get them both without #2 and #3.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I would just use pick 1 and 2 on Sam Walsh and Lukosius, but still look stupid to swap pick and sent May to Melbourne for pick 6 just for no 1 pick .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back