Strategy Live trading on draft night - Guess the first one?

Remove this Banner Ad

So Carlton gave up their 2019 1st rounder for Adelaide's Pick 19 and their 2019 1st rounder.

While I think getting an extra year into a player is a great thing. I think this is a really poor trade by Carlton. They should have asked for more.

So say Adelaide finish 7th. They have given up Pick 19 and say Pick 12 for most likely a top 3 pick in 2019. Is that right?

Got to say if it plays out that way it will be a massive win for Adelaide.

Small risk for Adelaide for a large reward. Carlton are obviously backing themselves to improve. I think they will, but so should other sides. Perhaps Carlton also believe Adelaide are on the slide?

Good move for both clubs IMO. Carlton get a pretty good kid in this year and the Crows get a top 2-3 pick next year

I have a feeling that live trading won’t get used the whole draft.
The worst prediction...

If I'm the Suns, I'm eying off Port's picks 5 and 10. I take Lukosious at 2 (which makes it all but certain I'm about to take Rankine at 3) likely triggering a bidding war for Pick 3 between the two SA clubs for Rankine.

I cant see Port and the Crows sitting by without a whimper while the Suns select both Luko and Rankine at 2 and 3.
Their hands were tied.
GC took Luko and Rankine

You are assuming port are prepared to give up further picks to move 1 or 2 spots higher when they are very very likely to get Rozee at 5 anyway. They have also been on air saying they are very happy to go with the picks they have
First person that something close to how early picks played out.

Carlton will take Walsh and then have to wait until pick 69
Which got turned on it's head on the night. None of us saw it coming.

How many list spots do the Blues need to fill in the draft?

If they do that with pick 1 then picks 69 plus then that is putting all you eggs for 2018 in one basket.

Given where the Blues list is at currently they need more quality and quantity.

Maybe they trade future picks for 2nd rounders?
Not bad. Close....

I don’t think they can trade next years first which is what most teams would be interested in.

They basically just have pick 1 to trade and if they trade that then Walsh will be gone by the time they get a pick
First round pick sliders was how everyone missed what was to unfold.

Don't reckon there will be any trades for your garden variety picks.

Mainly because it's new and list managers are still trying to work it out

However i do think there is a good chance that compromised picks arising from F/S, NGA selections etc will result in some pick swaps

ie nominated player gets selected at pick 15. The club can match with pick 24 but they have pick 20 (which is overs). So they trade 20 for 24 and 37

Reckon that will cause the only pick swaps

BTW - i've not looked at the actual points - just using the above for an example

Well done. You win the thread.!!! :p

Basically Liam Stocker and Jez McLennan were the first two draftees clubs specifically live traded to get on the night.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-12-12/draft-night-drama-suns-play-highstakes-game-to-get-their-man

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-12-10/draft-night-drama-tension-builds-as-saints-try-to-do-a-deal

Haha. Yeah. I was surprised at the amount it was used. I found it really entertaining.

I was shocked on the night as only tuned in well over an hour after the draft started and just as I did it was showing on afl site Carlton next pick. I just assumed it was a mistake for a minute or two and then was like WTF??? lol

I love how unpredictable it proved to be.

As footy fans we probably have learned no point trying to predict as too many unknowns. Just sit back and enjoy the surprises in future.

Love the AFL have given us videos to watch after the fact to see some of what was going on for club staff at the time.

I hope they release all the club videos of draft night. Would be really keen to see what Wright, McKenzie and his team were discussing.

Would be particularly interesting to see what the discussion was around whether or not to match Essendon's bid for Mosquito.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back