Liverpool FC - what has happened?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we're being realistic, Clyne, Henderson, Sakho, Sturridge and Coutinho all would start for United. Firmino too probably.

Dude come on! In the last 12 months we've played your lot three times for an aggregate scoreline of 8-2, our teams really aren't that close on paper

Sakho would probably come in for Blind, I'll give you that but Blind has him on form this season, Clyne a bit stiff to miss out for Darmian too but if you honestly think Henderson would start in any top four midfield you've got rocks in your head IMO; Bastian and Carrick are phenomenal passers of the ball, Schneiderlin is a much better defensive player and Herrera is a much more well rounded player. Firmino looks good but he's done nothing so far, like Depay he'll take time to show his quality.

If I was doing a combined XI I'd go:

DDG​
Darmian Smalling Sakho Shaw
Bastian Schneiderlin
Mata Coutinho Depay
Sturridge​

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Dude come on! In the last 12 months we've played your lot three times for an aggregate scoreline of 8-2, our teams really aren't that close on paper

Sakho would probably come in for Blind, I'll give you that but Blind has him on form this season, Clyne a bit stiff to miss out for Darmian too but if you honestly think Henderson would start in any top four midfield you've got rocks in your head IMO, Bastian and Carrick are phenomenal passers of the ball, Schneiderlin is a much better defensive player and Herrera is ridiculously well rounded. Firmino looks good but he's done nothing so far, like Depay he'll take time to show his quality.

If I was doing a combined XI I'd go:

DDG​
Bastian Schneiderlin
Mata Coutinho Depay
Sturridge

Yet you got thrashed 3-0 at the Emirates with "such a far superior team". Interesting.

elhadjihenry

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
De Gea
Schneiderlin Henderson
Coutinho
Mata Sturridge Martial

Darmian/Clyne and Henderson/Herrera the closest run ones for me, went with the best balanced team.

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yet you got thrashed 3-0 at the Emirates with "such a far superior team". Interesting.

And City got smashed by Spurs a few weeks back, you guys were rolled by Palace etc, s**t happens, I'm talking about a consistent theme here though.

I honestly rate Henderson but you're kidding yourself if you think he'd start in any top four midfield. When United were dominating in the late 2000's Darren Fletcher was one of our key players and most consistent performers in midfield but not for one second did I think he'd be anywhere near as good for any other team, because he's a player with a lot of limitations who excelled in a system and the reality is Henderson is like that too, although he should stake out a better career than Fletch. I'm not trying to be smug but the four CM's we use on rotation are all much more comfortable on the ball and in the possession based system we play this crucial, there's no way LVG would start Henderson ahead of any of them.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
And United thrashed Pool.

When? De Gea was your MOTM in the 3-0 win. A thrashing implies domination of the game with the opposition not getting a sniff. That December game at OT could just as easily have finished 3-0 to us if not for Raheem ' s impotence.

Arsenal completely destroyed you at the Emirates you barely had a sniff.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
When? De Gea was your MOTM in the 3-0 win. A thrashing implies domination of the game with the opposition not getting a sniff. That December game at OT could just as easily have finished 3-0 to us if not for Raheem ' s impotence.

Arsenal completely destroyed you at the Emirates you barely had a sniff.
We dominated your mob a couple of weeks ago. Martial had a couple of chances against Arsenal and the 2nd half was even.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
And City got smashed by Spurs a few weeks back, you guys were rolled by Palace etc, s**t happens, I'm talking about a consistent theme here though.

I honestly rate Henderson but you're kidding yourself if you think he'd start in any top four midfield. When United were dominating in the late 2000's Darren Fletcher was one of our key players and most consistent performers in midfield but not for one second did I think he'd be anywhere near as good for any other team, because he's a player with a lot of limitations who excelled in a system and the reality is Henderson is like that too, although he should stake out a better career than Fletch. I'm not trying to be smug but the four CM's we use on rotation are all much more comfortable on the ball and in the possession based system we play this crucial, there's no way LVG would start Henderson ahead of any of them.
So much lol.

Henderson is a terrific player that any of the top teams in England would be lucky to have. He's far more talented than Fletcher ever was. He'd play at United before the old and slow Carrick and the old and slower Bastian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So much lol.

Henderson is a terrific player that any of the top teams in England would be lucky to have. He's far more talented than Fletcher ever was. He'd play at United before the old and slow Carrick and the old and slower Bastian.

Carrick who dictates our play and who has so much influence in the side he literally doubled our win ratio when he started last season? Bastian who was still starting for Bayern last season and was World Cup final man of the match just 12 months a go? These players are not even remotely similar stylistically to Hendo, there's no way Henderson could adequately perform the #6 role but you reckon I'm the one having a laugh? If Henderson was on our books it'd be Herrera and Schneiderlin he'd be competing with for a spot as he doesn't have the skill set to dictate the tempo like Bastian and Carrick do.

I agree Henderson will have a much better career than Fletcher, I just think saying he's already way better than Fletcher ever was is highly ignorant of the level Fletcher was playing at though, especially as he was such a key big game performer for United at a time where we were arguably second only to Barca in Europe.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Henderson is one of the best box to box midfielders around. Wins you the ball back to me and time again. If you watch 13/14 everything starred through him - either by winning the ball back with his outstanding pressing or his passing through to teammates bursting through. There is no player at United that can do the job he does and for that reason alone I'd pick him every time if I had midfielders fr both clubs to choose from.

I think a midfield of Hendo, Schneiderlin, Herrera & Coutinho would be amazing myself personally.

As for Schweinsteiger great player but certainly past his best. Will be very effective playing 60 mins here and there.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Schweinsteiger reminds me of 2014/15 Gerrard. Still has attributes of his game that are world class, making it very tempting to play him every week, but his lack of mobility means that he struggles to play his role in a structured team defence. His team mates have to compensate for this & cover for his deficiencies so you're basically carrying him for 50% of the game.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
image.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back