Living without a mobile phone

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you click the link? Aldi had a prepaid that had an expiry period of 365 days.

yep just looked, whoopi doo, just having it will cause you to use it and the costs creep up etc. There is no win, unfortunately we live in a society of text to communicate, that aldi phone will cost 12 cents per message, my friends and rels are capable of 100's of texts a day, no thanks.

and nothing makes sense about a call being 12 cents a minute but calling over seas is 10 cents a minute, how does that make sense at all lol

yep just looked, whoopi doo, just having it will cause you to use it and the costs creep up etc. There is no win, unfortunately we live in a society of text to communicate, that aldi phone will cost 12 cents per message, my friends and rels are capable of 100's of texts a day, no thanks.

That's 12c when you send a text. It costs you nothing to receive one.

Sorry what I meant to say is if you make medical appointments these days a lot of medical centres send reminders via sms, also you get sms reminders for postal items and also outstanding bills that are due, banks also use it as a reminder tool to pay outstanding cc debts.

Yeah a lot are moving in this direction, but there are heaps of people who still don't use the technology.
I was reviewing the Digital Strategy of a local government a few months ago; i don't remember the exact numbers, but i was astonished by for example, the number of people who still don't use the internet. It was like almost half the population of something. Mainly old people i assume, it's a huge number.
Accordingly most service organisations have ways of transacting with these people. Costs them upward of thirty times the amount per transaction though, so they are keen to move people in to higher tech solutions.

I'm about to try this on a set date next month for I would say a minimum 6 months - 12 months, maybe longer if i'm enjoying no bills and the freedom of no phone, it's going to be a testing time i'm sure of that, but i've got this sense that it's going to be a relief

Has anyone done this in recent times and how did you go without it?

It is hard to believe generations before us, survived without it

and I'll add; well done!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had no phone for a good 3.5 months while I was OS. At first missed it, but then didn't- and I actually loved being "cut off" from friends and family unless when I went to an internet cafe.

Don't think I'd like to go without a phone at home tho.

Bit different being overseas than at home, no one is trying to contact you when you're overseas because they know that's where you are. In fact I'd say it's nothing alike

Bit different being overseas than at home, no one is trying to contact you when you're overseas because they know that's where you are. In fact I'd say it's nothing alike

Fair enough, but I was the only one out of what 60+ people (two tours) without a mobile phone on the trip.

And like I said "Dont think I would like to go without a phone at home"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back