UK Liz Truss - Shortest serving UK PM in history

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone more enlightened on the British political system than me venture an opinion on whether there is any way her government can fall before the term is up?

The Fixed Term Parliament Act of 2011 (elections in May every 5 years) was repealed this year by that lovable rascal Michael Gove, in retaliation for the Supreme Court's decision to rule Johnson's attempt to shut down Parliament illegal in 2019.
Now they're back to the old system where the monarch has the power to dissolve the Commons.

Pity there's still two years and three months until the next election is due. Like the Australian Liberals, the Conservatives will likely cling on to the very end, no matter who their leader is, if they know they'll get thrashed.
Let the rorting begin….

There is no denying the paucity of talent in politics, but that simply means we all have to make our choices based on rational assessment rather than barracking.

The "least worst option" is a viable principle we utilise all the time in our daily lives.

Hence we can observe that, regardless of their absolute merit:

•Albanese Labor > Morrison Coalition,

•Biden Dem > Trump Republican,

and it’s certainly looking like we will decide that

•Starmer Labour > Truss Tories.
It would be a fascinating thesis, to see what the last hundred or so years has equipped us with in terms of the people that have shaped politics in each country on the planet.
It’s a big read but could be broken down in continents, countries, regions etc.
An encyclopaedia of planet earths politics to date, dating all the way back to pre-history and how we’ve shaped our view of the reality we find ourselves in politically.

There is no denying the paucity of talent in politics, but that simply means we all have to make our choices based on rational assessment rather than barracking.

So many factors are beyond any one country regardless of talent. Inflation, trade, food, energy, conflict, supply chains .... rational assessment & political ideology will get a real workout.

Edit to add:'A brutal quarter in a terrible year', and there's more pain ahead for your super savings

'After 40 years of declining interest rates, central banks no longer fear the consequences of upsetting financial markets and protecting the wealthy, an about-face that finally is dawning on a bewildered investment community.

Instead, they now are pushing interest rates higher at the quickest pace in half a century in a desperate quest to kill inflation.

That it all has come about at a time when geopolitical tensions have resurfaced between Russia and China on one side and the West on the other only adds to the confusion and uncertainty.

For many finance professionals, bruised and battered by recent events, the only hope is that some calamity — such as the UK's disastrous mini-budget a fortnight ago — will force a reversal in the torrent of recent rate cuts.'

Last edited:
Jake Berry “People know that when their bills arrive, they can either cut their consumption or they can get a higher salary, higher wages, go out there and get that new job."

The words of someone who has completely divorced himself of the realities facing everyday folk.

This piece maybe doesn’t contain a lot we don’t already know, but does a good job of conveying the utter disaster that the Truss Tories are wreaking on the UK. Gonna be a very long two years if they don’t do everyone a favour and self-destruct.

I liked this one from HIGNFY the other week

"One woman with her horrific ventriloquist's dummy queues up for Britain's Got Talent"

1664781056376.png

I know this is a symptom of my echo chamber, but I've never seen a clip / report of her that hasn't made me think she has mental problems.

Do we think she and the new Chancellor are the Tories way of giving the world the middle finger for having to get rid of Boris?

Truss will likely ditch her much loved 45p tax rate proposal for her rich mates, with many in her own party likely to vote it down .

She's cooked already
She has.

"The sudden change of course followed a realisation within Downing Street that so many Conservative MPs objected to the policy that it might be voted down in parliament, amid worries from voters about rising mortgage costs."

This piece maybe doesn’t contain a lot we don’t already know, but does a good job of conveying the utter disaster that the Truss Tories are wreaking on the UK. Gonna be a very long two years if they don’t do everyone a favour and self-destruct.

“Credibility is like virginity. Once you’ve lost it, you can’t get it back.”

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She has.

"The sudden change of course followed a realisation within Downing Street that so many Conservative MPs objected to the policy that it might be voted down in parliament, amid worries from voters about rising mortgage costs."

So much for not turning and the Thatcher spits imagery.

She has.

Through gritted teeth, I actually applaud them for backing down on that one. It was a tone-deaf policy given the current situation people are facing over the next 3-6 months in the UK.

I've never had a huge problem when policies are backflipped in the face of overwhelming criticism - it does show a willingness to listen. Her problem is that you really need to build political capital to be able to make such moves. You also give your political opponents some good firepower to use against you, although said opponents should be very careful how much they want to make that move given the potential for backfiring it has.

The obvious question is where are they getting their advice to not immediately see how much backlash there was going to be for such an announcement...

Through gritted teeth, I actually applaud them for backing down on that one. It was a tone-deaf policy given the current situation people are facing over the next 3-6 months in the UK.

I've never had a huge problem when policies are backflipped in the face of overwhelming criticism - it does show a willingness to listen. Her problem is that you really need to build political capital to be able to make such moves. You also give your political opponents some good firepower to use against you, although said opponents should be very careful how much they want to make that move given the potential for backfiring it has.

The obvious question is where are they getting their advice to not immediately see how much backlash there was going to be for such an announcement...
Yep. Credit where credit’s due. Still waiting for our Coalition to acknowledge the same for the brutal assault on the less-well-off that was the 2014 budget.

I've never had a huge problem when policies are backflipped in the face of overwhelming criticism - it does show a willingness to listen.
I prefer politicians who don't make such monstrously stupid moves in the first place. Everyone makes mistakes, but I have zero confidence in ideological extremists to not return to extremist policies at the first opportunity.

I prefer politicians who don't make such monstrously stupid moves in the first place. Everyone makes mistakes, but I have zero confidence in ideological extremists to not return to extremist policies at the first opportunity.
I don't disagree with that either, which is pretty much what I meant by the last paragraph and how was not immediately obvious there was going to be some serious backlash to such idiotic policy in the current climate?

But faced with the choice of going gung-ho with a terrible policy or reversing course due to backlash, I choose the latter every time.

You would need about 30 Tory MP's to defect to allow a vote of no confidence to succeed forcing an early election.
Wow, I thought it was more than that. Given the current rumblings, we might not make it to the end of 2024 at this rate... The main difference to the snap election of 2019 is Boris knew his hand would be strengthened from that one as Corbyn was too much on the nose by that point... Whereas now many many many Tories know they would be effectively sacking themselves going down this route.

She's got tax cuts for the rich through.

Looking after the rich is one of the major priorities of modern day conservatives after all.
This is their entire schtick

Grift for the rich, fight just enough culture wars to get just enough idiots to vote (against their own interests) to keep you power.

Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back