Lleyton Hewitt

Remove this Banner Ad

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Well we have almost reached the end of an era in Australian tennis, a professional career spanning 20 years, with 2 grand slams, 2 Davis cup titles and a couple of years at number 1. Countless comebacks, a never say die attitude and a commitment to Australian tennis the likes of which we may never have seen before.

I had only been playing tennis for a year when this guy qualified for his first ever Australian Open in 1997, in doing so becoming the youngest ever qualifier at 15. But my first real memory of Hewitt was in 1998 when he beat Agassi in the semi final of the tournament in Adelaide, leading up to the AO. He then went on to beat stoltenburg in the final. I took notice, I was 12 at the time and could not believe this young Aussie kid beat the superstar who was Agassi!

He was young and brash and copped a bit from the media and public, I was too young to remember or take notice of that kind of stuff. He then went on to a meteoric rise over the next few years, winning the US open and then Wimbledon the following year, I remember him draping the Aussie flag over himself after he won at SW19.

But it is the Davis Cup with which he will be remembered for. He represented Australia like nobody else has ever done before. I am going to miss that the most.

Hewitts passion, desire and intensity over his career are highlights and his ability to reach the top are a brilliant achievement. And he did this without a big weapon.

The most disappointing result was the 2005 AO final against safin, heartbreaking for Lleyton and all Australian tennis fans.

It is going to be strange once Hewitt has played his final match at the Australian open, as it is all I have ever really known to happen at Melbourne park.

Thank you Lleyton for a great career and the passion you brought playing for this country.

Great post mate. The reason I fell in love with this sport was thanks to the little champ.

His passion drew me in and I have loved him ever since. He has honestly done a lot for this sport in Australia and really he kept it relevant during a reasonably dark period in terms of Aussie representation at the elite level.

Thanks Lleyton you will be greatly missed

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

does anyone know if theres being an announcement on when Hewitt is playing in the Australian open or do we have to wait for the tournament schedule to be released the day before play

Wasn't a fan of his ego in the early days, but admired his ability, his attitude and his sense of loyalty. Always represented Australia in Davis Cup even in early rounds and often carried us, especially during the years when our next best player was Peter 'drop slice' Luzcak.

On a plus, I look forward to him in the commentary box. Adds actual insight and relevance into the game, which should help counter Jim Courier beating himself off and Bruce McAvaney mispronuncing David Ferrer's name every year.

does anyone know if theres being an announcement on when Hewitt is playing in the Australian open or do we have to wait for the tournament schedule to be released the day before play

I thought they said on the Hopman Cup last night he will play the Monday. It seems strange at this stage of his career that of all the players who knows what day they are on (there can only be one) it is Hewitt. Not sure what to beleive.

I've mellowed on Hewitt over the years. I couldn't warm to him despite his success during the early stages of his career but I do admire him for his fighting ability and the fact that he always represented Australia at the Davis Cup with plenty of pride.

As he's reached the end of his career and he's matured I've grown to like him. I must admit I was very happy that Marat Safin prevailed in the 2005 Australian Open as I always loved watching him play, plus beating Roger Federer at his peak in the semi final meant he was always the worthy winner of the tournament.

It'll be sad to see him gone because I've been so acclimatised to seeing him play year in year out but Hewitt can be proud of what he's achieved in the sport and for tennis in this country.

Last edited:
I must admit I was very happy that Marat Safin prevailed in the 2005 Australian Open as I always loved watching him play, plus beating Roger Federer at his peak in the semi final meant he was always the worthy winner of the tournament.
Strangely enough I am with you here. Safin was my favourite player at the time and he played outstanding tennis against Federer in that semi.

On reflection though, Hewitt would have been a worthy AO winner and it would have been nice to have seen 1 Aussie win at Melbourne Park in my lifetime.

Always like him. A lot of criticism (some vitriol) came from the eastern states, some jealousy back then no doubt and not the Pat Rafter many were used to. He was young and brash, but he was YOUNG and he punched well above his weight, he was never criticized by those in the inner sanctum of Australian tennis and now age, life, father hood whatever has tempered him he is widely and universally respected.

Strangely enough I am with you here. Safin was my favourite player at the time and he played outstanding tennis against Federer in that semi.

On reflection though, Hewitt would have been a worthy AO winner and it would have been nice to have seen 1 Aussie win at Melbourne Park in my lifetime.
Hewitt would have been a worthy winner without doubt. He had to beat the likes of Blake, Chela, Nadal, Nalbandian and Roddick to reach the final so his run wasn't easy at all and re-watching this video below demonstrates how strong he was not only physically but mentally as well during this tournament.

Although I feel had Safin lost in 2005, it would have been devastating for him and his fans considering he'd also lost the AO final in 2002 (to Johansson in an upset) and 2004 (to Federer). Also at the time I wasn't Hewitt's biggest fan due to his personality but as time has gone on I've slowly grown to appreciate what he's brought to tennis for this country.

Last edited:
Much respect for Hewitt, always been one of my favourites, love the way he always gives 100% out on court and his passion and dedication for his country in Davis Cup. Looking forward to seeing how he goes in his last AO and then his commentary and Davis Cup captaincy afterwards.

Most likely day two night session. Definitely Rod Laver Arena

How can anyone possibly know this early? You both are having guesses.
Channel Seven will want Lleyton's side of the draw to kick start on day two.
That will allow them to maximize TV ratings and pump up his farewell.
During day one of the coverage they can keep reminding us to tune in for Lleyton tomorrow night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel Seven will want Lleyton's side of the draw to kick start on day two.
That will allow them to maximize TV ratings and pump up his farewell.
During day one of the coverage they can keep reminding us to tune in for Lleyton tomorrow night.

That's what I would have said, I also don't think anyone knows yet but I gurantee on TV the other night they said it has been confirmed he will play the Monday. It was Zampalis so he could of just made it up so take it with a grain of salt, but he said it.

Absolute warrior. Never the biggest guy out there, didn't have the biggest forehand, serve or backhand but his mentality, attitude and never say die attitude took him right to the top and made him become a modern era great. He got me into tennis as well, my favourite player and I modelled my game on him as we both had similar builds. Hope he has a deep run here or if he doesn't he gets a big match against Fed or another one of the old school players, would be an amazing end to his career.

Hope he gets to end it against one of the big four, ideally Federer.

Tomic or Kyrgios would be nice too.

A true champion. Love his game. No major weapons just gets the ball back and fights to the death, never giving in. A true counter puncher. Will be sorely missed.

Was lucky to see him play Jack Sock the other night - that whole match optimised Hewitt - was getting blasted but just slaved away and got the ball back over and over, breaking I his opponent down.

On a tangent - has anyone got Hewitt's fitness app he's just released with his trainer? It's actually quality - good insight into just how much off court work goes in to playing at the top level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope he gets to end it against one of the big four, ideally Federer.

Tomic or Kyrgios would be nice too.

I've got tickets for Wednesday night first week at RL. Hoping it all falls into place to see him!

Can't handle the little 'meister' when he attacks the crowd and umpires etc.

But he has grown up as we all do and it all was entertaining in some strange way.

Saw Cashy at his worst and well there are others as well. they have to start somewhere.

I am impressed very much with his commentary skills and hope this goes on.

Good luck Lleyton. Don't forget your roots.... :)

On a tangent - has anyone got Hewitt's fitness app he's just released with his trainer? It's actually quality - good insight into just how much off court work goes in to playing at the top level.

It is not something I would normally consider but I am kind of interested. Is it something the everyday person can make use of?

Been a hack for years. His 2 majors were over 13 years ago now. I guess you can make the argument it's not his fault the Australian media kept covering him like a big star but I hope he goes out first round so I don't have to hear about him much longer. At 307th in the world I'll probably get my wish.

But he has grown up as we all do and it all was entertaining in some strange way.

Don't think he's "grown up", just realised he can't act like a prick in retirement if he wants a media career.

It is not something I would normally consider but I am kind of interested. Is it something the everyday person can make use of?

Yeah if your into fitness there is a heap of exercises and drills with demo videos.

Perfect for serious players and coaches. I plan to use a lot of the stuff with my coaching.

I've mellowed on him over the years, and can respect his mental strength and fighting qualities - but I will definitely not miss that 'come on' of his, has always been a bloody awful celebration from my view.

so the draw is out today and he got duckworth in the 1st round and hes on the bottom half of the draw, I get the feeling he will be on court on Monday, anyone else get that feeling?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back