Traded Lloyd Meek - [Traded with F2 (Dogs) to Hawthorn for Jaeger O'Meara and F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m very happy with getting Meek in to partner Reeves. That duo is going to be quite good in a year or two.

So what your saying is I should be starting mainboard threads asking if Freo has the best midfield?
I mean, you could, I just find amazing how underrated JOM’s output is, while players like Hopper, who are of course younger, are lauded.

hawkmang

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone arguing whether Meek or Reeves becomes R1 is automatically wrong… they’re playing for R2 behind this guy

301887A8-6C68-4BF7-B831-6EAC6AA884F5.jpeg

hawkmang

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't get the Hopper fascination either. TT I can understand.

I Probably have underrated JoM but that's because he's not been playing mid as much.
He’s very similar to Mundy in the way he plays but I feel like he will be used to replace Acres on the outside a bit more

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
What are you trying to argue? Are you not capable of discussing this trade without referencing something about "my club" that has nothing to do with my post?

I was questioning the price paid, not the career of JOM.

Given he's 29 next year, I don't think he should have cost Meek + a 2nd, that seems overs. Hopper is in a different stage of career where he is about to enter his prime, not coming out of it, and yes he cost more, but he also has more currency on open market.

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
Top of the pile looking down
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
No, no it’s not.

He was traded with a F2 for O’Meara and a 4th.
Also your ignoring that your paying JOMs salary.
Paying some of JOMs salary is irrelevant to Hawthorn. The AFL rules are that a club has to spend; I think it is 93% of the cap. We are struggling to get to that with our list at the moment. Should we do a GC and pay overinflated contracts that will come back to bite us?
Let’s ask, is not having to pay JOM his entire salary worth anything to Freo? Firstly JOM isn’t worth what he’s getting paid in this final year of his contract circa $800 K. With one of the youngest lists of the clubs with a chance, I hope you don’t hap cap issues! You’ve lost Lobb, Louge, Darcy, Acres, Meek and Mundy for Jackson JOM and one low-salary player n Corbett ……
Do you really have cap problems so that Hawthorn paying some of JOM's salary for one year helps…. Really?

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Paying some of JOMs salary is irrelevant to Hawthorn. The AFL rules are that a club has to spend; I think it is 93% of the cap. We are struggling to get to that with our list at the moment. Should we do a GC and pay overinflated contracts that will come back to bite us?
Let’s ask, is not having to pay JOM his entire salary worth anything to Freo? Firstly JOM isn’t worth what he’s getting paid in this final year of his contract circa $800 K. With one of the youngest lists of the clubs with a chance, I hope you don’t hap cap issues! You’ve lost Lobb, Louge, Darcy, Acres, Meek and Mundy for Jackson JOM and one low-salary player n Corbett ……
Do you really have cap problems so that Hawthorn paying some of JOM's salary for one year helps…. Really?

We don’t, but we can front load existing contracts and offer better contracts to young stars like Serong who is out of contract end of 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
That may look OK when compared to Hoper, but let’s be honest, what did JOMs opponent/s do while playing on him? We know we got so completely towelled up in the midfield and especially midfield-contested ball the last few years. Look at our inside 50s. Yes, our ball movement was so good. It offset it, won us some, and kept us in other games; however, we all know that is not sustainable when trying to win premierships. JOM will do well as a 5th or 6th mid rather than the 2nd mid at Hawthorn (before Newcombe and Moore overtook him).

Last edited:

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
We don’t, but we can front load existing contracts and offer better contracts to young stars like Serong who is out of contract end of 2023.
What contracts? Aren’t all your listed players already contracted, and the newbies have already been offered contracts? Are you suggesting you Now change some contracts based on JOM being the last in? What if the trade never happened? You’d be in a similar if not the same, position FFS (Meeks salary is the delta to JOMs and what Hawthorn is paying). It’s only for one year; I think you are grasping. On fox footy, they even mentioned the salary component is a non-issue.

Move on mate, Freo have a list and coach that can win your first flag, look forward dude.

Last edited:

Kanye West

All Australian
Nov 20, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it really depends how much of his salary we are paying? I would assume based on what the trade ended up being its probably not much.

I actually think it would be a good percentage. Its the only reason i can come up with why we gave Meek away so cheap!

Kanye West

All Australian
Nov 20, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think either way - the Freo fans that were essentially mocking me (and others) for suggesting Meek was not worth a top 25 pick have been found out (same as those who were adamant he wouldn't be traded if Lobb was traded and those that argued that Meek was worth more than O'Meara). A sensible and fair trade occurred - as was always obviously going to be the case (as many of the more sensible Freo fans knew all along).

Freo got Hawthorn to pay a portion of JOMs contract. How do you think they done that, with a 2nd rounder likely to be around the early 30s just to take JOM off their list???

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Salary cap is obviously extremely tight for us

We have one of the most talented lists in the competition

We have paid good money to get some players back home to WA

We have to pay overs to our Vic players to keep them

Salary cap space is a MASSIVE bonus for us

He can't be that good, Hawks traded him for a mid to late 2nd rounder. Apparently that's fact!?!
Yea, I’ve heard that a few times today.

“Traded out O’meara for nothing…”.

Poor Lloyd.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back