Lloyd vs Fevola

Who was better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched them both, and they are both amazing, but here is the thing. Both played on teams that were on the opposite sides of the ladder.

Lloyd beats Fev in stats BUT Fev with the team he was on and still dominated backmen in his prime of his career is something we need to notice.

Fevola is a forward who can do anything from anywhere. He was as good a kick from outside 50m than anyone and his also as good as any small forward when pressured, something Lloyd didnt have as locked down as well.

Lloyd is a tradional great forward, with his marking, leads and set shots, Fevola was a forward that not only excelled the tradional forward traits, but he will kick a goal on his back and impossible angles.

For me, my vote goes to Fevola because he was capable of more things on the field and did it all on a lesser side. Swap the two forwards around and i cant see Lloyd being as good playing for Carlton but i see Fevola being heaps better playing for Essendon at those times.

I never saw Fevola take a speccie.
I never saw Fevola take over a final by scruff of it's neck like Lloyd (and Hird) did on occasions.
You also say Fevola could do anything and from anywhere, Lloyd did the mercurial more than you seem to remember. He had it all.

The only knock on Lloyd's career is how it all ended.
Some say it was Knight's fault but to kick 930 goals from only 270 games, it says it all really.

I never saw Fevola take a speccie.
I never saw Fevola take over a final by scruff of it's neck like Lloyd (and Hird) did on occasions.
Seems like you didn't watch him all too much then, he had a nice leap. One of his favourite tactics was to knee the opposing defender's back during his run-up, too, so he didn't really need to take speccies a lot of of the time. Doesn't mean he wasn't capable of them.

And it's a shame we didn't get to see Fevola play finals in Melbourne, if we didn't choke vs Brisbane in '09 things might've been different. Considering the majority of his playing career Carlton weren't finalists, the second point seems a bit redundant.

If Fevola had his head screwed on from the beginning, imo he would've been very close to getting 1000.

to me its no competition. even in his twilight lloyd was kicking 3 a game, which is what fev averaged through his career and only bettered on a handful of occasions. he also kicked 9+ 6 times, which fev only did once.

fev looked like he was doing a lot, and sometimes he was. lloyd actually did a lot. overall i reckon fev was largely overrated apart form a few bright seasons. maybe thats because of his off field attitude and antics, but thats part of fev and only actual results (not potential or wasted potential) is relevant when looking back in hindsight.

I feel like the people who say Fevola was more talented/mercurial have their memory clouded by post hamstring off the bone Lloyd. Prime Lloyd was a freak and could do everything Fev could do and more.

Ability pretty even

on what they achieved Lloyd Flemington straight

note: Lloyd himself has acknowledged being a diver during his career

Back