Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Do you honestly think it's right for a club to hold a player's job hostage like this? This isn't even a match payment issue across the same league, its a contracted job they are denying and could land in court over.
Hardly. Despite the difference in level, Rowe signed a contract with ED. Theyre just meant to bend over and say hey take our best player for nothing despite the face it's too late to sign up anyone else?

Like I said, if Saints don't like it then I'm sure there are players of similar quality around then can get for free

Exactly. The player has a contract with the local club. In order to break said contract, he needs the club to agree, and they want to be compensated for the loss.

I’m staggered people can’t understand this very simple point.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hardly. Despite the difference in level, Rowe signed a contract with ED. Theyre just meant to bend over and say hey take our best player for nothing despite the face it's too late to sign up anyone else?

Like I said, if Saints don't like it then I'm sure there are players of similar quality around then can get for free

Exactly.

Bye-bye Rowe and we move on.

Of course there will then be another thread on BF highlighting how the Saints “abandoned” and “exploited” him and ED.

Will make the mid-season draft interesting.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Do you honestly think it's right for a club to hold a player's job hostage like this? This isn't even a match payment issue across the same league, its a contracted job they are denying and could land in court over.
Yep, he committed to the club then 2 rounds in wants out to further his own career.

Should have considered that pre season when he signed on the dotted line.
What about the sponsors who forked out money for this bloke to play there.
Don’t the club and the sponsor have rights too??? Would leave a massive hole for the season .
He signed a contract , now that can be overcome if the Saints coff up the dollars required .
He is not being restrained at all.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Yep, he committed to the club then 2 rounds in wants out to further his own career.

How many players are going to sit out of a season of footy on the off chance they might be one of about four picked up in a brand-new draft? I get the point about the club wanting compo, but your expectation of the player is unreasonable.

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
How many players are going to sit out of a season of footy on the off chance they might be one of about four picked up in a brand-new draft? I get the point about the club wanting compo, but your expectation of the player is unreasonable.
Then they are obligated not to make commitments that they can't stand by.

The grassroots clubs are not just football factories for the elite competition.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
There is no obligation on player making a commitment to the local club.....but he did!
Simple.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Player: If I get an offer from an AFL club, I want a release clause in my contract.

Club: Ok that's fine/Ok but we are only prepared to pay you this much/Ok you better find somewhere else to play.
That's reasonable, tbh, but I suspect it was an oversight given that this is the first year with that late draft.

That said, the club does deserve some pay-off for losing, assumedly, a prime mover... presumably, to the value of the contract.

That's reasonable, tbh, but I suspect it was an oversight given that this is the first year with that late draft.

That said, the club does deserve some pay-off for losing, assumedly, a prime mover... presumably, to the value of the contract.

To the value required to replace the player....and considering he probably can't be replaced at this stage, a noticeable premium would be required for the make up for the damage to the club's season.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

What about the sponsors who forked out money for this bloke to play there.
Don’t the club and the sponsor have rights too??? Would leave a massive hole for the season .
He signed a contract , now that can be overcome if the Saints coff up the dollars required .
He is not being restrained at all.
Bullshit. The president claiming that sponsors signed up because of Rowe is being disingenuous. The same club is cashed up and already had Brock McLean and Simon White (fellow ex Carlton players) on their list last year. They won the flag comfortably last year in their division as well. I’d like to see some evidence that they landed sponsors because of Rowe. The president has smelt blood and decided it’s a good chance to land some cash from St. Kilda and the AFL.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bullshit. The president claiming that sponsors signed up because of Rowe is being disingenuous. The same club is cashed up and already had Brock McLean and Simon White (fellow ex Carlton players) on their list last year. They won the flag comfortably last year in their division as well. I’d like to see some evidence that they landed sponsors because of Rowe. The president has smelt blood and decided it’s a good chance to land some cash from St. Kilda and the AFL.
He signed a contract, club are entitled to have it honoured or dissolved on their terms.
Club would have got sponsors on the back of being good team this year. He was a part of that.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not at all concerned about getting Rowe as would have preferred another quick outside mid.
Its pretty clear the Saints chose Rowe purely as a backup to cover Carlisle being out for the year.

However, points of note for me are.....

The Saints didn't make the rule and simply did as they were allowed to by the AFL in choosing Rowe.
Rowe wants to play at highest level again like every player dreams of.
The EDFC has a contract with Rowe and sponsors based around Rowe coming to the club and being part of season 2019.
The EDFC may not be able to replace Rowe at this time in their leagues rules.
The EDFC would struggle to find another Rowe type who is not already signed up at another club.
The EDFC has virtually asked for ransom money from the Saints.
The AFL rule I am assuming has no payment to lower league club requests.
The EDFC may not look so attractive to other AFL discards in the future if they know they will face a restraint ofbtrade issue if an AFL club calls them with a lifeline.
Holding Rowe to his contract may also be viewed as a restraint of trade prohibiting the player from maximising his possible income.
The Death Star made this rule and the mid season draft rule with seemingly no consultation or buy in from lower leagues. Foolish to not engage stakeholders in this.
Also worth noting assistant coaches are never held back if they land a senior coach gig.

Amateur hour but...

I'm sure the AFL's own professional journalists (I use that term loosely) like the Irrelevant Purple Flog will find a way to slag off the Saints as usual.

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Long long history of local clubs being pricks. The following video shows what happened to Chris Gray, denied a chance at an AFL career all because of a form he signed when he was a child.

That was one of the most ridiculous things Ive seen. Plays 3 games for a club when he was 15, and they try to rort the club drafting him. I really feel for the guy. I would have taken the club to court.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
That was one of the most ridiculous things Ive seen. Plays 3 games for a club when he was 15, and they try to rort the club drafting him. I really feel for the guy. I would have taken the club to court.

Yep, it made me angry watching that.

Carlton should have just played him and challenged the ruling. They were certainly big enough at the time. If the kid had been playing week in week out for Sandy Bay, totally different story, but not when they had no intention of playing him.

Wonder if Richmond VFL was compensated for Jonothan Marsh who was also picked up by the saints after committing to Richmond’s VFL program

Not saying the saints should have just more out of curiosity

Back