Mr Bods

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lions 150 - Tigers 69
Watch the last 5 minutes of the match - then tell me which club has the high moral ground.
Obviously still plenty of Barry Hall types at Labrador... makes a joke of their coaches comments earlier this week.!

http://www.aflq.com.au/qafl-live/
I watched the last 5mins certainly was very uneasy to watch.
Nasty vibe at the end.

But what Shattock was talking about I’m not sure if you have forgotten or not was off field crowd behaviour not the on field stuff.
Reserve Grade players and hangers on yelling abuse from the outer during First Grade.
He did say too and I did mention it that he said his own club wasn’t immune to anti social behaviour too.

But yeah Labrador certainly turned it up there at the end and finished the game pretty classlessly.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Palm Beach Currumbin are back-to-back QAFL premiers with a 14.16 (100) - 9.12 (66) grand final win over Broadbeach yesterday.

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
  • Southport play the Brisbane Lions reserves in the NEAFL GF this Sunday at Fankhauser Reserve.
  • Palm Beach Currumbin play Surfers Paradise in the QAFL GF this Saturday at Metricon Stadium.
  • Palm Beach Currumbin play Surfers Paradise in the QAFL reserves GF this Saturday at Metricon Stadium.
  • Bond University defeated Beenleigh by 38 points to win the QFA Div 2 Premiership two weeks ago.
  • Palm Beach Currumbin play Wilston Grange in the QAFL Colts GF this Saturday at Metricon Stadium.
As a city, we're pretty dominant at every level except the AFL. Also, this article below was in the GC Bulletin a few days ago and it details a Gold Coast private school taking Aussie rules more seriously by hiring Matthew Lappin to coach their school teams.

HE’S transformed Hillcrest into an AFLQ Schools Cup contender and Matthew Lappin hopes to help increase the number of former AFL players coaching Gold Coast juniors.

Lappin heads the AFL program at Hillcrest Christian College that will feature in the primary female division state finals, to be held at Maroochydore on October 18.

It’s one of four teams left in the division while the school also showed development in the senior and primary boys divisions in Lappin’s first year in the role.

“We have only got two girls in our team who play club footy so I’ve had to grab girls out of our basketball program and soccer players,” Lappin, who played 251 AFL games at Carlton and St Kilda, said.

“They have committed really hard to training and went undefeated this year. There is a bit of a buzz around the school.

“Our boys in the junior school and senior school I have had heaps of growth and development this year which is been awesome.”

Lappin has four of his own children in the school including Tilley, 13, Sunny, 11, who is in the primary female team, daughter Stevie, 9, and his son Harley, 4.

Employing former AFL players to coach students is common in Victoria and Lappin said it was a ploy Queensland schools should adopt more in order to continue improving the development opportunities of young players.

“It’s been really innovative by the school to get this going,” Lappin said.

“It happens a bit in Victoria with ex-AFL players and coaches implementing their football programs.”

Hillcrest has a booming basketball excellence program and Lappin said it provided the perfect crossover sport to Australian rules.

Fair to say schools which take basketball seriously could be a good resource for us to find talent that could make the switch to footy ala Kurt Tippett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Disappointing start to the day for Gold Coast footy. Highly rated Cairns junior Austin Harris, Will Bella (brother of our AFLW ruck Lauren) and Ethan Dawson (brother of Jacob) all played in that U18s Grand Final for Palm Beach.

Next up is the QAFL Reserves GF - PBC v Surfers Paradise. The Lions have the early lead in the first quarter. Ashton Crossley (brother of Brayden), Corey Joyce (brother of Jesse) and highly rated junior Sam Hilton-Joyce are all playing in this one.

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

PBC have claimed the QAFL Reserves Premiership.

Also, below is a live stream of the QAFL GF for anyone that's interested. Surfers Paradise have jumped out of the blocks in the first quarter.

Top Bottom