Local GC Footy Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit late I know but the Labrador Tigers 14.12 (96) defeated Morningside 13.11 (89) in the QAFL Grand Final. Labrador's first premiership since 1994 in the old GCAFL days. Fraser in the top left and Lappin front row, second from the right:

DOOGulF.jpg

This is what happens in local leagues, sadly.

Just like the Ipswich Jets winning the QLD cup and national championship, their list is getting raped by other clubs taking young players. Coaches, I assume, are being looked at too. Good for grass roots footy, but terrible for the individual club.
I have noticed that with Ipswich. Oh well, this is nothing new for Southport. The Sharks have been pillaging other local sides for decades. It's part of the reason they've been so successful in the past. Broadbeach's Nick Riewoldt is a prime example of this back in the late 90s.

Hey guys , Can someone please give me a run down on what leagues there are near gold coast and what standard order each one is -
Cheers

Hey guys , Can someone please give me a run down on what leagues there are near gold coast and what standard order each one is -
Cheers
NEAFL

Southport Sharks - A central Gold Coast team that is the traditional powerhouse club of the Gold Coast/Queensland. The Sharks definitely have the best facilities on the Gold Coast and compete in the NEAFL with local teams from Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin and Sydney as well as the Giants, Lions, Suns and Swans reserves. If you don't enjoy travelling by plane every second weekend for local footy then the Sharks probably aren't for you. Also, if you aren't up to the standard just below the AFL then this league definitely isn't for you.

QAFL - 4 Gold Coast teams competing against Brisbane teams

Broadbeach Cats - A central Gold Coast team often considered to be the second biggest club in the city but does not have the facilities to match. The league is of a reasonable standard for local footy.

Labrador Tigers - A central/northern Gold Coast team who are the current QAFL premiers who have a very good relationship with the Gold Coast Suns. Decent training facilities and the league is of a reasonable standard for local footy.

Palm Beach Currumbin Lions - Palm Beach Currumbin is a southern Gold Coast club that has decent training facilities. The league is of a reasonable standard for local footy.

Surfers Paradise Demons - Surfers Paradise is a central Gold Coast team who will soon be receiving a nice upgrade to their facilities that will see them compete with Southport for the best facilities on the GC. The league is of a reasonable standard for local footy.

QFA - 4 Gold Coast teams competing against southern Brisbane teams

Burleigh Bombers - A southern Gold Coast team that has fairly average training facilities. If you're particularly fond of the Bombers nickname and you'd like to play at between the semi-pro and amateur level then I think this is the club for you :thumbsu:

Coolangatta Blues - A very southern Gold Coast team (about 50 metres from the QLD-NSW border) that has fairly average training facilities. League standard is between semi-pro and amateur.

Coomera Magpies - A northern Gold Coast team that has facilities that I have no idea about haha. The club is relatively new and is located right next to the new Coomera Indoor Sports Centre (Commonwealth Games venue) and just behind Dream World. League standard is between semi-pro and amateur.

Robina Roos - A south-western Gold Coast team that has a very small clubhouse and has the unfortunate reality of power line running above the oval. People say the ball never hits the power lines but it does. League standard is between semi-pro and amateur.

QAFA - 2 Gold Coast teams competing against Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan teams

Bond University - A southern Gold Coast team who are the reigning QAFA premiers that are based on the Bond University campus. They recently received a new oval/training facilities on campus and are a relatively young club. League is at the amateur level.

Carrara Saints - A central-western Gold Coast team that has reasonable training facilities. The Saints have only fielded a senior team for a few years to date. League is at the amateur level.

Some of my explanations were educated guesses so don't shoot me if I'm wrong haha. There are a few clubs just over the border in the Tweed Shire that compete against one another as well. That is considered to be the lowest standard of football played in the Queensland competition, despite the clubs actually being based in NSW. Hope this helps. I think the Burleigh Bombers might be the go but it obviously depends on what standard you're at.

NEAFL

Southport Sharks - A central Gold Coast team that is the traditional powerhouse club of the Gold Coast/Queensland. The Sharks definitely have the best facilities on the Gold Coast and compete in the NEAFL with local teams from Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin and Sydney as well as the Giants, Lions, Suns and Swans reserves. If you don't enjoy travelling by plane every second weekend for local footy then the Sharks probably aren't for you. Also, if you aren't up to the standard just below the AFL then this league definitely isn't for you.

QAFL - 4 Gold Coast teams competing against Brisbane teams

Broadbeach Cats - A central Gold Coast team often considered to be the second biggest club in the city but does not have the facilities to match. The league is of a reasonable standard for local footy.

Labrador Tigers - A central/northern Gold Coast team who are the current QAFL premiers who have a very good relationship with the Gold Coast Suns. Decent training facilities and the league is of a reasonable standard for local footy.

Palm Beach Currumbin Lions - Palm Beach Currumbin is a southern Gold Coast club that has decent training facilities. The league is of a reasonable standard for local footy.

Surfers Paradise Demons - Surfers Paradise is a central Gold Coast team who will soon be receiving a nice upgrade to their facilities that will see them compete with Southport for the best facilities on the GC. The league is of a reasonable standard for local footy.

QFA - 4 Gold Coast teams competing against southern Brisbane teams

Burleigh Bombers - A southern Gold Coast team that has fairly average training facilities. If you're particularly fond of the Bombers nickname and you'd like to play at between the semi-pro and amateur level then I think this is the club for you :thumbsu:

Coolangatta Blues - A very southern Gold Coast team (about 50 metres from the QLD-NSW border) that has fairly average training facilities. League standard is between semi-pro and amateur.

Coomera Magpies - A northern Gold Coast team that has facilities that I have no idea about haha. The club is relatively new and is located right next to the new Coomera Indoor Sports Centre (Commonwealth Games venue) and just behind Dream World. League standard is between semi-pro and amateur.

Robina Roos - A south-western Gold Coast team that has a very small clubhouse and has the unfortunate reality of power line running above the oval. People say the ball never hits the power lines but it does. League standard is between semi-pro and amateur.

QAFA - 2 Gold Coast teams competing against Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan teams

Bond University - A southern Gold Coast team who are the reigning QAFA premiers that are based on the Bond University campus. They recently received a new oval/training facilities on campus and are a relatively young club. League is at the amateur level.

Carrara Saints - A central-western Gold Coast team that has reasonable training facilities. The Saints have only fielded a senior team for a few years to date. League is at the amateur level.

Some of my explanations were educated guesses so don't shoot me if I'm wrong haha. There are a few clubs just over the border in the Tweed Shire that compete against one another as well. That is considered to be the lowest standard of football played in the Queensland competition, despite the clubs actually being based in NSW. Hope this helps. I think the Burleigh Bombers might be the go but it obviously depends on what standard you're at.
Cheers Legend

Footscray v Geelong at Owen Park Southport in 1982. Does anyone remember this match or was there?
I was just reading about it on the facebook and a guy put the footy record from the match.
Its before me and my mates time on the coast and we'd never heard of it.

Fevola playing on the Gold Coast yesterday. Caught up with good friend and GC local Courtney Hancock. Hancock also happens to be the Women Of The Suns ambassador.

WAbvRtA.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the most perfectly timed photographs in Aussie rules history. Southport's eight-time premiership player Jason Cotter completed a smother the Morningside player in 1985 but the photo was taken at the exact moment that it would appear something else was occurring...

6qM8edO.jpg

The photo has gone down in Sharks' folklore. Just thought I'd share a little more local history with the Suns fans that may not be aware. Cotter was a very good player so I wonder if he has a son or two coming through the Gold Coast academy system.

Labrador qualified for their third successive QAFL Grand Final yesterday with a 22-point victory over the Western Magpies. The Tigers have been very good since departing the NEAFL in 2013 and they are the favourites to win back-to-back QAFL premierships in two weeks. The Palm Beach-Currumbin Lions are also competing in the QAFL finals and will face Mount Gravatt at Salk later today. It's entirely possible that we'll see a Labrador-PBC QAFL Grand Final in two weeks.

Unfortunately for Bond University, their streak of premierships came to an end yesterday when Springwood eliminated them in the QFA South preliminary final by 37 points. Also, a special mention is in order for the Southport colts who took out the division 1 premiership yesterday.

AFL Queensland confirmed a few weeks ago that further restructuring will take place next season which includes introducing a promotion-relegation system for the top 3 divisions. Should make things interesting!

Labrador qualified for their third successive QAFL Grand Final yesterday with a 22-point victory over the Western Magpies. The Tigers have been very good since departing the NEAFL in 2013 and they are the favourites to win back-to-back QAFL premierships in two weeks. The Palm Beach-Currumbin Lions are also competing in the QAFL finals and will face Mount Gravatt at Salk later today. It's entirely possible that we'll see a Labrador-PBC QAFL Grand Final in two weeks.

Unfortunately for Bond University, their streak of premierships came to an end yesterday when Springwood eliminated them in the QFA South preliminary final by 37 points. Also, a special mention is in order for the Southport colts who took out the division 1 premiership yesterday.

AFL Queensland confirmed a few weeks ago that further restructuring will take place next season which includes introducing a promotion-relegation system for the top 3 divisions. Should make things interesting!
They do promotion/relegation with the Amateurs league (VAFA) down in Melbourne. Can tell you from personal experience, it gets really intense, will be great for competition, and you are working towards something even if you don't win the GF.

Things have changed, when I played for Southport u/13's, we used to constantly beat Labrador by 150 points :p
would still happen. Southport is div1, while Labrador u13s are div2.

Southport got beat in the div1 GF though apparently. Popular loss ive heard, due to a lot of kids leaving other clubs to go to that team this season. Didn't bother me none...

would still happen. Southport is div1, while Labrador u13s are div2.

Southport got beat in the div1 GF though apparently. Popular loss ive heard, due to a lot of kids leaving other clubs to go to that team this season. Didn't bother me none...
So things really haven't changed then :p

Article in the GC Bulletin today that says the Southport Sharks have raided Labrador and Palm Beach of their grand final stars. Just like the good old days!

Article in the GC Bulletin today that says the Southport Sharks have raided Labrador and Palm Beach of their grand final stars. Just like the good old days!
Although an article I saw hinted Palmy are a chance to sign Burge.

Although an article I saw hinted Palmy are a chance to sign Burge.
Correct. Sharks captain Jason Burge, former Sharks captain Ben Headland and Jake Dignan from the NT Thunder are all positive signings for Palmy. However, losing Jon Croad to Southport definitely hurts PBC.

Bringing in experienced guys should help the younger PBC players coming through.

Correct. Sharks captain Jason Burge, former Sharks captain Ben Headland and Jake Dignan from the NT Thunder are all positive signings for Palmy. However, losing Jon Croad to Southport definitely hurts PBC.

Bringing in experienced guys should help the younger PBC players coming through.

Palmy have recruited well this off season , got quite a few ex Suns academy players playing for them as well . Croad will hurt and not sure they will see much of Jacob Dawson this year as he will have rep commitments as well as playing for Suns ressies later on in year.

Big coup if this comes off for the Tigers.

QAFL premiers Labrador on the trail of Barry Hall and Nick Malceski for new season
Terry Wilson, Gold Coast Bulletin
March 22, 2017 12:00am
Subscriber only
LABRADOR officials are confident they are close to signing former AFL premiership pair Barry Hall and Nick Malceski to play state league this year.

In what would be one of the Queensland Australian Football League’s biggest recruiting coups, the Tigers are understood to be ready to seal the deal to get the former Sydney Swans pair playing at Cooke-Murphy Oval.

According to a Labrador club source, Malceski is the most likely of the two to be wearing the yellow and black this season although Hall, at 40, indicated he is keen to play and qualify for QAFL finals.

Hall has been taken on by the Suns as a forward line coach but Malceski is now a full-time development coach at Metricon Stadium after ending his AFL playing days last year.

If the audacious bid comes off, Hall and Malceski would join Labrador in much the same circumstances as Josh Fraser and Matty Lappin did in 2015 when they were assistant coaches with the Suns.

They played for Labrador around their AFL assistant coaching commitments and eventually qualified for finals and were key members of the side that broke the club’s 20-year premiership drought.

The Labrador source said Hall had indicated to the club that he was not averse to having a kick with the Tigers and was “in discussions”.

2ab284c4a5789a6b0d767044ee4530e2

Nick Malceski at Suns training. Photo: Richard Gosling
Malceski, 32, would manage about six or seven games for Labrador around his AFL duties as a Suns player development coach.

New Labrador coach Aaron Shattock said he was unaware if Hall had any intentions of returning to the field but confirmed he had been to at least one training run.

“I understand he is trying to help out the brother of his partner Lauren Brant, who wants to play Aussie rules,” Shattock said.

Hall is one of the AFL’s legends and true characters of the code after 289 games with St Kilda (88), Sydney (162) and Western Bulldogs (39).

He kicked a total of 746 goals, was four times All-Australian and was captain of Sydney’s 2005 premiership side.

Suns coach Rodney Eade said there was nothing the club could do to stop Hall playing for Labrador – nor Malceski for that matter – and that the former tough spearhead has held his condition well.

“He looks a healthy, fit specimen,” Eade said of Hall.

“And we didn’t stop Josh or Matty when they played there.”

Malceski, also an All-Australian, played in Sydney’s premiership side in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back