News Lockett returns to the Swans in a part-time coaching role

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Great news but I honestly never thought he'd be someone we'd see involved at the club again.

I remember back in my uni days I worked at a service station around the corner from Plugger's parents place in Ballarat, and one day I saw the great man stroll in after filling up his ute. I told him what a massive swans fan I was and how I had a framed picture of his record breaking goal up on my wall at home.

After he'd paid for his fuel I asked if he wouldn't mind signing an autograph for me to which he simply replied "no", before turning and walking out of the store.

Great news but I honestly never thought he'd be someone we'd see involved at the club again.

I remember back in my uni days I worked at a service station around the corner from Plugger's parents place in Ballarat, and one day I saw the great man stroll in after filling up his ute. I told him what a massive swans fan I was and how I had a framed picture of his record breaking goal up on my wall at home.

After he'd paid for his fuel I asked if he wouldn't mind signing an autograph for me to which he simply replied "no", before turning and walking out of the store.
I remember winning a prize that let me have lunch with plugger. It was at lonestar steakhouse. I sat down had the meal and he was lovely. Signed a few things aswell. I guess as he was "on duty" he was on his best behavior or maybe you got him on a bad day

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

I still have a signed ball with Tony Lockett's signature from a fan day I went to when I was a kid. Got about a dozen signatures on it but some of the writing is so bad I can't actually tell whose signature is whose. Paul Kelly's signature is there as well.

Maybe plugger was being a bit particular that day, would you mind plugger? No not at all, but then was going to do the old well are you going to ask me

Can you sign this plugger

Oh i could if you ask

Will you

I will if you ask me

Ill shut up now

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I remember winning a prize that let me have lunch with plugger. It was at lonestar steakhouse. I sat down had the meal and he was lovely. Signed a few things aswell. I guess as he was "on duty" he was on his best behavior or maybe you got him on a bad day
Yeah, I have no idea what the deal was. It kind of made me like him even more to be honest.

Maybe plugger was being a bit particular that day, would you mind plugger? No not at all, but then was going to do the old well are you going to ask me

Can you sign this plugger

Oh i could if you ask

Will you

I will if you ask me

Ill shut up now
I feel bad. That this is what you have become. Your 1 liners were atleast better. Its a sad day on the board

Consider that a great honour

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I love that this is the image in the article.

20170314_lockettgk_p.jpg

Now try to do this, without pulling a muscle,

Here's the problem Sam. Your balls keep falling out. Get some decent underwear

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Is mongrel a teachable skill?
Plugger didn't have mongrel any more than a concrete bunker has mongrel. He just didn't notice other players. He never gave it off to anyone. He had a turning circle like the Queen Mary and would simply knock over anyone in the way. He jumped just once in my memory and crushed Mal Michael. He was a remarkably quick lead for his size and if there wasn't space to lead he'd just lead anyway, crushing players like ants. Most times he would just stand like a lighthouse in a storm while defenders tried unsuccessfully to move him. He rarely ventured outside the 50 arc unless he was marking 55m out or he simply took that long to pull up.

Plugger didn't have mongrel any more than a concrete bunker has mongrel. He just didn't notice other players. He never gave it off to anyone. He had a turning circle like the Queen Mary and would simply knock over anyone in the way. He jumped just once in my memory and crushed Mal Michael. He was a remarkably quick lead for his size and if there wasn't space to lead he'd just lead anyway, crushing players like ants. Most times he would just stand like a lighthouse in a storm while defenders tried unsuccessfully to move him. He rarely ventured outside the 50 arc unless he was marking 55m out or he simply took that long to pull up.
Got to agree with young Punts here, Plugger had mongrel. Ask Caven.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Had a great leap and often airborne taking marks. Took a lot of marks with a small leap due to his quick acceleration and the ability to place his massive frame between the ball and the chasing defender.

His partnership with O'Brien and O'Loughlin alone saw him often sacrifice his goals creating space but let's be honest, why hand over to someone else when you are the best set shot (and a damned fine running shot) on goal in the League??

Like the song said, "there's only one Tony Lockett" for a reason

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Couldn't disagree with you more.

Had a great leap and often airborne taking marks. Took a lot of marks with a small leap due to his quick acceleration and the ability to place his massive frame between the ball and the chasing defender.

His partnership with O'Brien and O'Loughlin alone saw him often sacrifice his goals creating space but let's be honest, why hand over to someone else when you are the best set shot (and a damned fine running shot) on goal in the League??

Like the song said, "there's only one Tony Lockett" for a reason

Taking in longevity of his career,around 16-17 years i think and sustained high end performances of dominating games and winning them of his own boot along with 1350 odd goals and the pure skill of the man at 110kg the best to ever lace them up imo. The man missed nearly 100 games of football through injury and suspension which is nearly 5 seasons, **** knows how many goals he would have kicked if he is playing in them !!!!! Still remember McAvaney commenting one day when cameras panned in on Carey known as the King one day and then to Lockett at the other end.

" If that Man's The King then what's this Man "

Carey was a match winner and no doubt dominant in the game for a good sustained period of about 10 years but he doesn't hold a candle to the Big Boy imo. There have been plenty of highlight reel players since Plugger that will draw rave reviews and there will continue to be but none will come close to his out and out domination of this game.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Most players crumbing a ball near goals do all in their power to evade. Lockett had a unique solution to that little problem. After you collect the ball look up and see where the nearest defender was and run straight at him!!!! Then when he's incapacitated on the ground there is a clear line to goal lol. Yep only one Tony Lockett lol

Back