Delisted Logan Austin

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda Football Club has secured promising key defender Logan Austin after a deal was struck with Port Adelaide Football Club today.

St Kilda exchanged the club’s future third round selection (2018) for Austin and Port Adelaide’s future fourth round selection (2018).

Austin, 22, originally hails from Canberra and has played 13 AFL games after being drafted to the Power with pick 69 in the 2014 AFL Draft.

St Kilda List Manager Tony Elshaug said Austin would add important key position depth.

“One of our major objectives during the trade period was to add key position depth and we feel Logan Austin fulfills that need,” Elshaug said.

“He is player that our recruiting team have tracked for a while now and someone we believe has plenty of upside.

“He has outstanding character and while we think he will improve, importantly he is ready to play a key defensive role immediately if called upon.”

The Logan Austin lowdown

DOB – 8 July 1995

Height – 196cm

Weight – 85kg

Drafted – Pick 69 in the 2014 National Draft from Belconnen

Playing history – Debuted against Collingwood in Round 1, 2016. Played 11 games that season and two games in 2017 after returning from a leg injury.

New St Kilda key defender Logan Austin is determined to play more senior football at his new club after being stuck in the queue at Port Adelaide, says Saints List and Recruiting Manager Tony Elshaug.

After being recruited with pick No. 69 in the 2014 Draft, the 22-year-old played 13 games across three seasons at Port Adelaide, including 11 in the second half of 2016, but only managed two appearances this season despite strong form in the SANFL.

The Saints received the Canberra product and a future fourth-round pick on Thursday in exchange for a future third-round pick on the final day of this year’s exchange period, on a day where they also exchanged picks with the Power in another deal.

After acquiring key defensive pair Jake Carlisle and Nathan Brown in the last couple of years, Elshaug said the signing of Austin would add further depth to the Saints’ defence that also includes injury-riddled young defender Hugh Goddard.

“Logan is a good young man. He played as a 19-year-old when he was in the New South Wales program and came through that program with Jack Steele, who is one of his good friends which is a good thing,” Elshaug told saints.com.au on Friday afternoon.

“He worked his way onto Port’s list in 2014. He went there with an injured shoulder in the first place, played 10 SANFL games in his first year and then mustered up 11 games in a row in his second year playing on the last line of defence for Port Adelaide.

“Unfortunately he broke his ankle in the last game of 2016 so that put him on the back foot over summer and essentially Tom Clurey went past him at that point and possession is nine-tenths of the law.

“He did fight his way in for a couple of games later in the year. But he just felt like it was tough for opportunities there and he could see there would be some opportunities at the Saints and we were keen to get him on board.”

Snapshot:

2014 National Draft Pick No. 69 from Belconnen
Debut Rd 11, 2016 v Collingwood
13 games
22 years of age

After experiencing a whirlwind week that culminated in a final day signing by St Kilda, Logan Austin is excited by what lies ahead following a winter where he was starved of opportunity.

The Saints acquired the young key defender in the final hours of this year's trade period, sending a future third-round pick to Alberton in exchange for Logan and a future fourth-round pick.

The 22-year-old produced an encouraging run of form in his second season at Port Adelaide in 2016, but fell down the pecking order this year, with Tom Jonas, Jack Hombsch and Tom Clurey holding down the key posts down back.

“It’s been a bit of a whirlwind week. I’m super excited to land at St Kilda,” Austin told saints.com.au on Monday after joining St Kilda last Thursday.

“It happened pretty quickly, with the season finishing and then getting into trade week and the uncertainty around that time of year. It’s a good feeling now that it is all done.”

After making his debut against Collingwood in Round 11 last year, the Canberra product played 11 of the final 12 games, but managed only two senior appearances this season as the opportunities dried up amid one of the tightest defences in the game.

Austin admitted he decided to pursue a fresh start in Victoria to help reignite his 13-game career and thought the Saints were a perfect fit.

“When I wasn’t getting games this year, I thought to myself, if this is what I want to do I need to explore what else is around,” Austin said.

“Ideally I wanted to head to Victoria now that my family live in Victoria.

“I thought that St Kilda was a great fit for me in terms of opportunity. There’s some great young talent coming through the club at the moment.

“It’s a fresh start for me and a place where I can definitely add some value.”

Austin has faced an unlucky run of injuries during recent summers which have prevented him from putting anywhere near a full pre-season in the bank.

But with a clean bill of health and a determination to get off on the right foot this pre-season, Austin will arrive at Linen House Centre at the start of November ready to make an impact from day one.

“It seems like I’ve been unlucky for the last few years; towards the end of the year I’ve copped some injury late that has put me out for the whole pre-season,” he said.

“It’s been pretty frustrating at times trying to fight for a spot for Round 1. But this year I’m fully fit and ready to go straight away which is only going to make me better by having a full pre-season.”

Buckle up for the ride of your life. This guy's gonna be a beauty.

If you like your defender to be understated, genuine and have a real chance to grow into a heart-and-soul player, check this guy out.

He is already in conversations about his potential role in our best 22 and may get a chance in the last JLT game to show his worth.

He came here for more opportunity given Port had a strong defence last year and you can bet he's gonna either take it with both hands or punch that mother 30 metres down the ground.

Got my first look at "Logs" in three quarters of the practice game against Williamstown. Very slippery conditions for a tall.

Played on a medium tall in the backline. Occasionally he kicked out from full-back and his kicking was ok for the conditions. Noticed one ripper that hit a guy on the run 60 out.

His man was quicker than him and he's not quick off the mark (yet?). Lumbers a little and seemed to be conserving his energy. His man got a couple of easy possessions outside the 50 and might have kicked a goal.

But I noticed when the ball was close to goal he was very attentive to his man, made good decisions mostly and showed balance and poise. Struggled a little with ground balls but made good efforts spoiling.

Unfortunately, right now I think he's a VFL player who'd struggle to show the level of pressure AFL demands, particularly compared to how well Brown played in the first round. Nevertheless, with a body of work in the Sandy team my feeling is that he could develop fitness and defensive pressure quite quickly and become more than just a player who plays on talls.

Hugh Goddard was similar in that respect. Logan Austin is slighter, more agile and might be a slightly better kick but Hugh had a little more urgency and might be a better mark.

Austin is 22, 195cms/85kgs and has played 13 AFL games.
Goddard is 21, 196cms/94kgs and has played 9 AFL games.

From the last practice game it still seems Austin's not exactly beating the door down but developing steadily down back behind Goddard but ahead of Joyce.
Goddard was good down back, took some nice pack marks used the balk well, most pleasing was that he looked like he was covering the ground as good as I have seen him.

Austin was steady is a nice kick had him behind Hodsaed on yesterday’s game.

Joyce was steady but has improved a heap since last season. Good pace a reasonable kick but would be behind Goddard and Austin.

Austin started on the bench for Round 1 of the VFL season against the Dogs. Whilst that might in itself indicate he's behind Goddard and Joyce for preferred KPBs at Sandringham, it could simply mean he was intended to rotate with both.

Apparently spent most of the day successfully covering Tom Boyd alternating with Joyce. Boyd was kept goal-less but did spend some time in the ruck and is seriously out of form.

Was named in the squad for the Saints although he didn’t make the final team , it does show he is doing the right thing . It’s a good battle between him and Goddard to take over from Brown which is great for the Saints.

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reportedly Austin was serviceable on Jordan Lisle from Port keeping him goalless in the first half with some timely spoils.

14 disposals, 6 inside-50s, 5 marks, 4 tackles. Better output than Joyce and Goddard this week, and improving.

General consensus emerging from supporters that have watched him play is that he's a distance off AFL level toughness just yet, but he seems a good kick.

When fans are suggesting Sam Gilbert does a better job as a KPB then you can be sure he's got work to do. In the right place to be plying his trade for now.

And then there's this!
... Really liked the way Austin played too
Go on Stewart66 ...

Last edited:
17 disposals, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 2 R50's against Box Hill. Beaten on the day as most were in a 10-goal loss.

Didn't really see much presence from Loges and could have done with more of his spoiling.

Glad he's getting his hands on the ball and I did notice some deft touches but he doesn't seem to have confidence in his body just yet and he struggles at the moment to impose himself in marking contests.

Slow burner.

14 disposals, 6 marks, 6 rebounds against Essendon - and with Carlisle a possible out from the Saints comes more speculation that Loges may make a cameo in the firsts.

Selected in the back pocket this time may have freed him up for a more attacking rebound game, but questions persist about his readiness for a key position role at AFL level.

Nevertheless Austin's gaining respect and consistency as he builds towards his seemingly inevitable debut. Just needs a breakout game for the faithful to jump on the bandwagon.

Loges was held over as emergency for the firsts against Collingwood since Carlisle was out. Pretty obvious he's ahead of Goddard, Clavarino and Joyce at this point. He's older and has more experience as a KPD.

With Brown out injured now he's got to be close again. If Carlisle doesn't get up Austin is a lock.

Logan Austin hasn’t played a senior game since crossing over to St Kilda from Port Adelaide, but his recent form for the Zebras could see his name feature heavily in the selection conversation this week.

Standing at 196cm tall, the Canberra boy shapes as the replacement for fellow big man Nathan Brown set to miss through injury.

Go Saints

St Kilda will blood its third new face in as many weeks as defender Logan Austin earns his first outing for the red, white and black after 13 senior games for Port Adelaide.

Austin stands at 196cm tall, and in the absence of Nathan Brown, the 22-year-old will provide much-needed aerial support for the Saints in defence.

Go Saints

Hallelujah!!

Loges had a remarkable debut against the Tigers, earning much respect and more than a few "who-the-hell-is-that"s.

Playing full-back he started off on Jack Riewoldt (before his injury) and then moved onto a revolving door of Richmond forwards. Saw quite a few of his signature spoils but also his intercept marking and rebounding skills, emulating his cousin Sean Dempster.

Travelling at 90% efficiency he picked up 23 disposals making good use of his deadly right boot. He finished the game with 8 marks and 3 tackles, staking his claim for the next few weeks given Brown's injury and the likelihood Carlisle might be suspended.

Austin silenced quite a few anxious supporters today who were concerned over his 3rd-round-pick price tag. Bargain!

Loges' second game was always a big ask. West Coast's dominant tall forwards against Austin and Marshall looked scary but was made less so by Darling going down with injury early.

Unfortunately Austin had Josh Kennedy who promptly stood up in Darling's absence, kicking 4 goals in the 3rd quarter - 6 for the day.

26 disposals @ 85% DE means Loges got involved and was neat, and 14 marks is impressive. His intercept game was good as well.

But only 146 metres gained says he's kicking sideways and 23 of his possessions were uncontested. His pressure game is still developing as is his fitness and speed at this stage.

No better "learning experience" and Loges can be proud of his efforts against the top team. Needs more mongrel if he's gonna truly compete against key forwards.

Third game was a test of character. Against a rampant Swans we were 8 goals down after 22 minutes, most of that obviously in our backline.

Austin had only 4 disposals at half-time but 21 overall and 81% is pretty effective.

Very few pressure acts for the game and zero tackles is disappointing. Only 3 contested possessions (17 uncontested).

Brown played Franklin in the first half so Austin competed against guys like Tom McCartin, Hayward and Ronke. But after half-time Austin got schooled by Buddy.

319 metres gained this week is a positive sign and 9 marks and 4 intercepts is handy.

Big learning curve. Must be getting fitter just backing up each week at the top level.

Last edited:
Fourth game Austin earned himself a Gatorade shower along with Battle and Rice thanks to some Gresham heroics at the last minute.

But the best news for me was he started to go the punch. Spoils were what his highlights promised but somehow they'd gone missing. How's Loges supposed to win the Golden Fist without a bit of bare-knuckle action.

Down on disposals (11) and efficiency (73%) and with less metres gained (192), at least Austin won 5 contested possessions this week. With no tackles and only 8 pressure points he's still got a way to go till he's a lock in the 22.

Still getting 3 or 4 intercepts a game but needs to improve on his man-on-man footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back