Recommitted Logan McDonald [Signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as likely to want to go to Collingwood as either WA club. Having said that, it’s unlikely he leaves the Swans unless he’s had a massive change of heart in the last 12 months.

Given how well he played as a first year key forwards (look at the records of the best key forwards and see how they did in their first year) I would think a minimum of two top 10 draft picks.

Can guarantee now you wouldn't get that for him a in trade without sending something back alongside McDonald.

Can guarantee now you wouldn't get that for him a in trade without sending something back alongside McDonald.

We paid pick 4 for him and in his first year he has shown he is more than worth that. With 2 years development into him and him definitely looking like a great KPF in the making you can be damn sure he is worth two stand alone picks in the top 10.

We paid pick 4 for him and in his first year he has shown he is more than worth that. With 2 years development into him and him definitely looking like a great KPF in the making you can be damn sure he is worth two stand alone picks in the top 10.

Thats great mate but there is no precedent for that type of trade. Hogan is the last comparable trade and he went for 6 and 23.

Yes, and Hogan has significant question marks over him before that trade.
He'd have to kick 40+ goals in the year to come close to going for two top 10 picks. It just doesnt happen. Cerra had runs on the board and we got less than the pick we used.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd have to kick 40+ goals in the year to come close to going for two top 10 picks. It just doesnt happen. Cerra had runs on the board and we got less than the pick we used.

Cerra is a midfielder, and hardly one that had really set the world on fire. Midfielders are easy to get, Key Forwards are not.

Players just immediately lose value once they're selected in the draft, the pick could be anything but the player you trade for is who you're getting, I think clubs like that 'flexibility' to choose if that makes sense? Weird concept to me personally, but it's the tale as old as time

Given how well he played as a first year key forwards (look at the records of the best key forwards and see how they did in their first year) I would think a minimum of two top 10 draft picks.

Not sure if serious.

Lets compare McDonald to other players who were traded for two top 10 picks?

Like Judd for instance, pick 3 plus J Kennedy ex pick 4.

Two top 10 picks is more than what it cost Geelong to get Dangerfield. An AA midfielder and Crows captain?

Has any other player commanded two top 10 picks? Never mind a developing 20 year old.

So what exactly puts McDonald around the same value as Judd and more than Dangerfield? He isnt the Swans captain leading the club.

Last edited:
You’re literally suggesting the second most expensive trade in history for a kid who’s played a handful of games.
Whilst I agree a trade for McDonald would be pricey, you’re not getting that sort of trade for an OOC second year player unless he explodes and wins the Coleman this year.

Players just immediately lose value once they're selected in the draft, the pick could be anything but the player you trade for is who you're getting, I think clubs like that 'flexibility' to choose if that makes sense? Weird concept to me personally, but it's the tale as old as time
Yeah, honestly, since following draft and trade more, I've only become more and more confused at what players are worth because its all over the place. I think leverage and contract status has way way too much impact on what a players worth at trade, probably because their are too many ways to pick-up a player

Thats great mate but there is no precedent for that type of trade. Hogan is the last comparable trade and he went

Why would any club pay two top 10 picks? Maybe for a 26 year old Buddy Franklin, a proven mega star.

McDonald isnt close to that level.

And if either WA club had a top 10 pick they could just draft him with one top 10 pick. Massive risk for any interstate club using a top 10 pick on a player who wants to live in WA.

So there are limits to what any team will pay for any player if they already hold a top 10 pick.

Last edited:
Why would any club pay two top 10 picks? Maybe for a 26 year old Buddy Franklin, a proven mega star.

McDonald isnt close to that level.

And if either WA club had a top 10 pick they could just draft him with one top 10 pick. Massive risk an interstate club using a top 10 pick on a player who wants to live 8n WA.

So there are limits to what any team will pay for any player if they already hold a top 10 pick.
I try to be as polite as possible because I've been adamant on things before and it's blown up in my face. Clubs do stupid s**t, but yes, if McDonald did ask for a trade, there is close to no chance he goes for two top 10 picks IMO. A 20 year old KPF kicking 40+ goals would be pretty ******* valuable though...

Last edited:

If that was true J Kennedy would have been a dirrect swap for Judd.

But he wasn't.

Is there an example of a 20 year old ex top 5 pick ever being traded for two top 10 picks?

If that was true J Kennedy would have been a dirrect swap for Judd.

But he wasn't.

Is there an example of a 20 year old ex top 5 pick ever being traded for two top 10 picks?
No. Jeremy Cameron might have gotten that sort of trade after his second year where he kicked 60 goals, but that’s hypothetical. McDonald would have to at least equal that type of year to be in the frame for that sort of currency. In a year where the draft is stacked with KPP talent, clubs will likely be more inclined to draft 2 tall prospects than take 1 for such overs if they hold 2 top 10’s.

Isn't the starting point whether he is likely to want to trade? I recall reading a post on our board (can't recall who im sorry) from an insider who was saying he was extremely happy at the swans. Value if he does go depends on performance during 2022. Anywhere from 1 top ten pick through to 2 (if he has an exceptional year). Most likely a top ten and some and a second perhaps.

Prefer he stay.

No. Jeremy Cameron might have gotten that sort of trade after his second year where he kicked 60 goals, but that’s hypothetical. McDonald would have to at least equal that type of year to be in the frame for that sort of currency. In a year where the draft is stacked with KPP talent, clubs will likely be more inclined to draft 2 tall prospects than take 1 for such overs if they hold 2 top 10’s.

And yes, there is that as well.

Two top ten kids v 1 emerging KP tallent.

I'd take the two kids as welll.

Especially the WA clubs in rebuild mode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back