Movie Logan

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought you'd come up with something funnier and more creative. Oh well :(
Why do I need to, I'm getting the likes from you regardless.

Getting likes from me is always a wonderful feeling. But so too must saying something extremely witty that has dozens of people like your post too.....ah who am I kidding....a like from me is a far more wonderful thing.
I have dozens though.

I have dozens though.
Anyway, let's get back on topic. But really, me posting about anything and everything in here is far more entertaining than Logan talk. No one's really saying anything about it anymore. They saw it, raved about it ( :rolleyes: ) and then that's it. There's nothing to say about it. Shows how truly bad it is, and that I'm right. For instance, take a Star Wars thread (TFA, R1) and there's like 20 billion posts discussing all ranges of things about the movie, characters, incidents, philosophies, etc. But here it's crickets if not for GG.exe so again I am right about this movie. Seriously, I'm being serious. There's nothing to discuss about it! There's no intrigue, no mystery, no controversy, etc inside that Logan "world" as depicted in that movie. It was a typical video game. You play it for 14 hours, and then put it back on the shelf. Fast food Cinema.

I respect your opinion, and your personal taste. Sorry to offend. Like, people have a love for a certain genre or particular thing (x men, comics, etc) and so they're like massive fans, and love the movie releases, all of them, all good, all part of the genre/IP you're so invested in.

BUT....i reckon deep down...you wouldn't rate that movie so high among all the Marvel movies....at the very least you might agree to "see" some of those points I raised about why Logan wasn't a very gripping movie per se..
I'm somewhat different to that.

I don't like Marvel films, and with the exception of The Dark Knight trilogy and the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man films, I strongly dislike all superhero films.

I've seen and disliked, off the top of my head:

Iron Man 3
The Avengers
Captain America: Civil War
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Ant-Man
Man of Steel
Batman v Superman

I just find them really generic and repetitive. I'd love to enjoy them (who doesn't like to mentally tune out/escape for 2 hours?), but they just bore me.

But I enjoyed Logan. It entertained me for 90% of the film (it dragged slightly during the 2nd act), and I found myself buying into that world, because it came across as a drama/action that just happened to have a superhero in it.

On the topic of ratings, I'm similar to you in that I rate films very harshly compared to most people. Of all films, only around 5% would have a rating of 7/10 or above.

I'm somewhat different to that.

I don't like Marvel films, and with the exception of The Dark Knight trilogy and the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man films, I strongly dislike all superhero films.

I've seen and disliked, off the top of my head:

Iron Man 3
The Avengers
Captain America: Civil War
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Ant-Man
Man of Steel
Batman v Superman

I just find them really generic and repetitive. I'd love to enjoy them (who doesn't like to mentally tune out/escape for 2 hours?), but they just bore me.

But I enjoyed Logan. It entertained me for 90% of the film (it dragged slightly during the 2nd act), and I found myself buying into that world, because it came across as a drama/action that just happened to have a superhero in it.

On the topic of ratings, I'm similar to you in that I rate films very harshly compared to most people. Of all films, only around 5% would have a rating of 7/10 or above.

Ok, you're an interesting person to discuss this movie with then. Because of what you said above :thumbsu: very well articulated.

As I said first up too....I hate all those superhero/fantasy type movies, they're so generic, boring, video-game-ish. However, I DID enjoy Ant Man and Winter Soldier. Despite being that type of movie that I hate, I had to admit that they were well-made and I no longer was an audience member, but vicariously engaged in that "world"/story. Take you out of this world into theirs....when it's done well it will happen in any genre. But the vast majority of those video game movies are s**t.

I can UNDERSTAND why you therefore enjoyed Logan. For most of the film it was just really a guy grunting and stuff thru a day to day life, with other normal people (adversaries, etc) who also were doing/saying day to day things. The film was basically an ordinary type of movie for a long while. No super powers and otherworldly special effects going on. Just a relationship between the gruff grunting man who is down and out, just scraping thru day to day, doing chores, making ends meet, as his two housemates stay home because they're weird/sick. And some mysterious guy, like a CIA agent, or private eye, on his heels. And some woman tracking him down appealing to him for help. So for two-thirds of the movie it was like a normal movie, like a normal espionage movie or something. And then it turned into a video game with all the super power stuff, and that John Wick-like thing where some goodie kills a million enemies like it's nothing. That last third of the movie became generic and superheroish -- which is often boring to us.

So i understand WHY you really liked that movie for the majority of the way....because it was a bit different to the usual superhero fare.

I get it! However, I'm still saying that that two-thirds, despite being a little breath of fresh air in that genre of movie....it was still s**t per se, as a movie, as an ordinary movie, ordinary espionage type story. Logan the character was incredibly dull, and Jackman's acting was in first gear thruout the whole movie. It doesn't help that I've seen thousands of movies like that, with characters just like that....some gruff grunting down and out guy scraping thru day to day. It just didn't add anything different/new to that, and wasn't even well-made in the generic sense (the gruff down and out thing).

Hence WHY i say people are too easily pleased, bought into the hype....because it DID do something a little different for a Marvel movie, what made people enjoy it, even conceptually. But really, it was still s**t in what it was.

Example....everyone was ecstatic about Rogue One's element of War Documentary finally. Something a little different, more gritty. But it still didnt save the movie overall. Nor did that War Documentary aspect of it do something top shelf in itself. When one thinks of "War Documentary" type action scenes in movies, they're not gonna cite R1 in some top 10. Know what I mean?

It's definitely not a masterpiece, and you're right, it doesn't compare to a film like Unforgiven (which nails the type of character you're referring to).

In 10 years I'll probably say "it was one of the better Marvel films, but that isn't saying much". Nothing more or less.

But it entertained me, which is why I watch films.

Now, to really set you off.. I hated Rogue One. I nearly fell asleep during it, I was that bored.

It's definitely not a masterpiece, and you're right, it doesn't compare to a film like Unforgiven (which nails the type of character you're referring to).

In 10 years I'll probably say "it was one of the better Marvel films, but that isn't saying much". Nothing more or less.

But it entertained me, which is why I watch films.

Now, to really set you off.. I hated Rogue One. I nearly fell asleep during it, I was that bored.

I hated Rogue One too ;) It was a very badly paced movie, first 2/3rds was boring and all over the shop, I was looking around the cinema most of the time, disappointed, not engaged.

That last third of the movie was much more entertaining, i was like a 12 yo boy in a T**ty bar, so excited....tho I was still able to not get over-hyped and realize the "war documentary" aspect I was watching wasn't that great either. But enjoyable to see that in a SW movie. The ONLY great thing about R1 was the very end, when Darth Vader slayed all those people. That was it! And also, for 2 seconds, the Sad Vader staring at the window of the bridge of his ship, watching the mayhem going on outside. That two seconds of Sad Vader made a huge impression on me. ANYWAY....I agree with you, I didn't like R1 much. I'd rate it probably....

3/10

1 for Sad Vader
1 for Vader carnage
1 for war documentary aspect to it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GG.exe I gave it a 3/10 as well.

I rate films purely on how much I enjoyed watching them; entirely separate from how well made I think they are.

Having said that, I thought Rogue One was also poorly made.

I am enjoying your similarly harsh rating system. It's so lovable.
I guess that's another side point -- enjoyment vs the rating.
I enjoyed TFA, for instance. It moved well, had lots of good pacing and switches of focus. But I slam it as a movie as 2/10.
Logan was enjoyable I guess. Two hours to kill. It certainly didn't labor like R1 did. But it still didn't engross me either in what was enjoyable. The rating of it is like completely separate from the enjoyment derived. I slam it as a movie. I enjoyed it, wasn't a tooth extraction. But the enjoyable parts weren't engrossing either.

Not The Earth is Flat (1977) https://letterboxd.com/film/the-earth-is-flat/
A Brazilian comedy based on a danish play
I was hoping people would be a bit more creative...like the title of the movie relates to flat/earth/flatness/etc, tho the film itself has nothing to do with a flat earth. FWIW, I can't think of anything particularly funny either other than "Flatliners" :rolleyes:

I was hoping people would be a bit more creative...like the title of the movie relates to flat/earth/flatness/etc, tho the film itself has nothing to do with a flat earth. FWIW, I can't think of anything particularly funny either other than "Flatliners" :rolleyes:
Dark City is the reverse

Anyway, let's get back on topic. But really, me posting about anything and everything in here is far more entertaining than Logan talk. No one's really saying anything about it anymore. They saw it, raved about it ( :rolleyes: ) and then that's it. There's nothing to say about it. Shows how truly bad it is, and that I'm right. For instance, take a Star Wars thread (TFA, R1) and there's like 20 billion posts discussing all ranges of things about the movie, characters, incidents, philosophies, etc. But here it's crickets if not for GG.exe so again I am right about this movie. Seriously, I'm being serious. There's nothing to discuss about it! There's no intrigue, no mystery, no controversy, etc inside that Logan "world" as depicted in that movie. It was a typical video game. You play it for 14 hours, and then put it back on the shelf. Fast food Cinema.
Not every movie has to play into a larger universe, controversy or philosophy. Some movies say exactly what they want to say. Logan was a good movie that explored his character, showed what would happen to a superhero that gets old and left the door open for movies about other characters. It was a good movie and a refreshing change from most Marvel films where all the discussion is about how it affects the next movie.

post reported. Enjoy your ban
giphy.gif

finally an excuse to use this GIF!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back