Discussion Logo Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven't seen How I Met Your Mother?

Thats my point... what does a TV show have to do with anything? He never said he was referencing HIMYM (or any show/movie for that matter), he just made up a word. You told him he was wrong - twice - for no reason whatsoever.

Thats my point... what does a TV show have to do with anything? He never said he was referencing HIMYM (or any show/movie for that matter), he just made up a word. You told him he was wrong - twice - for no reason whatsoever.
Just because he doesn't flat out state that it's a reference to HIMYM, doesn't mean he's not making reference to it. If you say "May the Force be with you", it doesn't mean you have say it's a Star Wars reference. Same with this.

Just because he doesn't flat out state that it's a reference to HIMYM, doesn't mean he's not making reference to it. If you say "May the Force be with you", it doesn't mean you have say it's a Star Wars reference. Same with this.

Thats a ridiculous comparison, one is an actual quote from a movie, and one is just a random word from nothing. It is possible for people to say things without it necessarily being a pop culture reference. You calling people out for being wrong when you have no idea if that was their intention or not makes you look foolish.

For your consideration...

01e9625d43ac4754a924c5a24e70d1d0

Thats a ridiculous comparison, one is an actual quote from a movie, and one is just a random word from nothing. It is possible for people to say things without it necessarily being a pop culture reference. You calling people out for being wrong when you have no idea if that was their intention or not makes you look foolish.
From my interpretation, his reply suggested he knew the reference.

The word "lawslap" is an amalgamation of two HIMYM references. Firstly, "lawyered"; Marshall's catchphrase when he schools someone. And the reoccurring slap bet; a bet that Marshall has with Barney. It's a good use of both references, all I was stating was that it was never used on the show.

Not really, Lawyered is only from one source, was widely used multiple times in that source, and is only known from that source.

upload_2017-6-6_20-23-13.jpeg

The word "lawslap" is an amalgamation of two HIMYM references. Firstly, "lawyered"; Marshall's catchphrase when he schools someone. And the reoccurring slap bet; a bet that Marshall has with Barney. It's a good use of both references, all I was stating was that it was never used on the show.

I think you're reading way too much into it, looking for things that aren't there. You'd make a great high school English teacher.

For your consideration...

01e9625d43ac4754a924c5a24e70d1d0

Oh jeez. Now they're really admitting they're up against it!

That logo is the furthest thing away from sport or masculinity (sorry if I'm drawing a long bow), sport being the thing that is keeping most people tied to Foxtel. This logo is targeting the Netflix market but it'll take more than branding to get them back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can imagine Mr Eagle sitting at his computer and shaking his head.

That logo is the furthest thing away from sport or masculinity (sorry if I'm drawing a long bow), sport being the thing that is keeping most people tied to Foxtel. This logo is targeting the Netflix market but it'll take more than branding to get them back.

That's exactly what they said they wanted. Less masculine and elitist, more friendly and approachable.

I don't think Mr Eagle is cool enough to have watched HIMYM, but I also think you looked into it way too much of you actually amalgamated references to get to that point tbh.

As someone that's watched HIMYM in full a couple times, it didn't even dawn on me that it'd be a HIMYM reference.

Call it a stalemate and move on in any case.

There is an F made up of dots to go with it too.

IMG_2668.jpg

They're openly admitting that they've been too masculine-focused, and part of this rebrand is the launch of Foxtel Now, which is essentially just normal Foxtel but streamed online instead of satellite or cable. No set-up costs, HD streaming and the ability to watch on TV with a Chromecast. Seems good in theory, but the price point is still pretty close to the same as conventional Foxtel. They need to find a way to reduce it further, or allow total customisation if they want to steal people away from Netflix.

https://mumbrella.com.au/foxtel-reb...el-now-conceding-brand-seen-aggressive-449541

I don't think Mr Eagle is cool enough to have watched HIMYM, but I also think you looked into it way too much of you actually amalgamated references to get to that point tbh.

As someone that's watched HIMYM in full a couple times, it didn't even dawn on me that it'd be a HIMYM reference.

Call it a stalemate and move on in any case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back