Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

An Uber boring update.

51B47DC7-933C-4ED1-84B4-7F355D6FACB9.jpeg

So crazy thing - I’m in Barcelona at the moment. Anyone who has been, especially in the Ramblas area, is that there is a million FCB merch stores. This kinda got me looking at the logo and thinking... man this logo is actually kinda s**t. So many colours, non cohesive, really needs to be cleaned up and simplified.

I get to my hotel and this comes up on my newsfeed...

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/amp/news/...ving-fcb-lettering/1ahkxqa3u7hub1ceagrptzav6c

I am a wizard.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
View attachment 565046

So crazy thing - I’m in Barcelona at the moment. Anyone who has been, especially in the Ramblas area, is that there is a million FCB merch stores. This kinda got me looking at the logo and thinking... man this logo is actually kinda s**t. So many colours, non cohesive, really needs to be cleaned up and simplified.

I get to my hotel and this comes up on my newsfeed...

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/amp/news/...ving-fcb-lettering/1ahkxqa3u7hub1ceagrptzav6c

I am a wizard.
Hope you're having a blast FT. The old shield looks better than the proposed new on IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Fair to say this logo is an acquired taste.

42864355_2210731215625984_6002802638289108992_n.png

Whoever here did their mockup of the Dome's new logo did a trillion times better job at it.

Looks more suited to a magazine.
I'd say they'll also have a "landscape" version where the two words are also on the one line, for spaces like the tops of the replay screens and on the fence etc.

Fair to say this logo is an acquired taste.

42864355_2210731215625984_6002802638289108992_n.png

Whoever here did their mockup of the Dome's new logo did a trillion times better job at it.

Looks more suited to a magazine.

The horizontal logo looks much better the vertical version. I took this screenshot from my Taylor Swift ticket:

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 11.23.00 am.png

Hopefully this is the one that gets the most use (and it probably will). I'm still not sold on the name 'Marvel Stadium' though. In a similar vein to liking the old Kmart logo because of the nostalgia, I love the name 'Telstra Dome'. Has such a nice ring to it and it sounds so much cooler to say the game is at 'the Dome', rather than 'at Etihad' or 'at Marvel'
They still use the first logo in external signage, even on new buildings
It's great that they still use the older logo, but I fail to see the need for the huge 'K' in the current logo. It's not like it's used in a similar way to the GWS 'G', but even then it would look terrible if it was used without the 'mart'. It just looks so out of place when they use it on advertisements and in catalogues:
24139.jpeg

The longer logo would fit so much better in there, and then more emphasis can be put on the products, although I can see what they're trying to do though with emphasising the kids. It's obviously working given how successful they have been over the last few years

Wait a second, Kmart stands for Kids mart?

The 'K' in Kmart actually stand for Sebastian Spering Kresg, who founded the US version of the store. The company, with the support of Kresg and G.J Coles, expanded to Australia, so the 'K' doesn't hold a whole lot of significance here, and is more relevant to the US version of the store

The kids that are seen prominently in the advertisements and catalogues are part of the new marketing scheme, which appeal to their target audience, who stereotypically are middle-aged women. It's working too - Kmart Australia's revenue is $6 billion, compared to Target at $3 billion and Big W at $4.11 billion

Last edited:
The talk of the new Marvel Stadium logo and my reminiscing about the Dome got me thinking of what a modern day 'Telstra Dome' logo would look like:

TelstraDomeMockup1_0000_2000px-Telstra_logo.svg.png

If I do say so myself, I don't think it looks too bad. Everyone knows what the stylised 'T' means, so there's no need to state 'Telstra' in the logo, and it fits in well with Telstra's current logo and styling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back