Logo/Guernsey Rebranding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LordLucifer

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
I was wondering what GC fans on this board thought of about the idea of changing the club's logo and guernsey.
The Suns branding has never been popular on the graphic design board but I'm interested to hear the opinions of people who actually support the team.

Ideas have been thrown around this thread lately which lead me to work on this new logo concept.
View attachment 266323
With this logo I'm trying to create a strong, memorable symbol that could be synonymous with the club's image. Similar to what Carlton have with their monogram.
The logo is in the shape of a sun that combines to create a G on the outside, while the C sits inside the centre. The left version features waves of red and yellow in the style of a life guard flag to represent the club's seaside identity. The right version is simplified to match the colour scheme of the home guernsey.

Along with this concept I've created a few redesigns for the club guernseys.
View attachment 266322
The top left and right designs are the same as the old jumpers, just with the new logo.
The top centre design is my own design which is a modern take on the yoke/sash, with sun rays shining from the club logo on the chest.
The bottom 2 show how the blue version of the logo could be adapted as a guernsey design. These might be better suited as clash/alternative guernseys.

Let me know what you think.
A little while back, I was thinking to myself if I was appointed CEO of the Suns, what would be some of the things that I would want to review and possibly change.

Top of the list was the jumper and playing livery, right behind that was the club song.

The predominantly red strip just doesn't work IMO, always thought a jumper with a blue base would be far more acceptable. Good to see some alternatives offered in this thread.

There is a supporter base just waiting to be tapped into up there, with some new funky clothing on offer, I reckon it will help break down some barriers.

I'll be playing golf on the coast next week, wonder how many Suns jumpers I'll see around the place ??

LordLucifer

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey guys, I was mucking around with the whole Suns rebrand idea and came up with this. My main area of discontent is that it does not really scream 'AFL', but on reflection not that many logos actually do.
View attachment 315653
If you jumper design is strong enough, you don't need to have the actual name of the club on it .

Maybe put some red rays of sunshine around the yellow sun instead ??

Ben Drever

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The original GC setup was a sham.

Start 2019 afresh
New bosses
New coaches
New health and conditioning
Half the players are new.

New jumper.

Something everyone can believe in fpr once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gcsunsfc

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
gave a new monogram logo a go. will try incorporate a few different styles of it with different shadows/effects so that the monogram is a bit more guernsey friendly.

View attachment 573725
Wow.
Very impressive presentation.
I don’t particularly like the GCS pattern - seems very convoluted but like the idea.
I’d also have football club alone on the lower lettering with subs at the top.

exile

AFL Club
Gold Coast
Moderator #588
Wow.
I don’t particularly like the GCS pattern - seems very convoluted but like the idea.
yeah i was having a look at the monogram style of logo. lots of different ways to do it, some ways are a bit confusing and messy! haha
good point with moving the "suns" part to the top, that does make more sense. i'll try that another day.

Johnny Bananas

All Australian
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still haven't seen anything better than LeeARMs original idea with the simplified logo (the slightly updated one he posted a year ago that is), although I reckon it'd be better with a gold base, and saving red for the clash. Gold uniform sounds fitting for the Gold Coast.

exile

AFL Club
Gold Coast
Moderator #590
Wow.
moved the suns part to the top. one of the guys on the footy guernseys forum suggested to make the monogram more of a beveled look so i changed that as well.

GCSUNS_LOGO-(v2).png
GCSUNS_LOGO-(SIMPLE-OUTLINE-&-TEXT)-(v2).png

Andonis1997

Who the hell is Ando?
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Panionios, Sturt

exile

AFL Club
Gold Coast
Moderator #594
Until the right side of the monogram comes out more and balances the logo, then it'll just look awkward on any application.
true, it does look a bit off. even though carlton's isn't fully centered it's balanced enough to make it look great. i was struggling to come up with a way to get all three letters to intertwine properly, getting it balanced was that one step further i couldn't really find. even tried "GCFC" at one point but that was a bit trickier.

Andonis1997

Who the hell is Ando?
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Panionios, Sturt
true, it does look a bit off. even though carlton's isn't fully centered it's balanced enough to make it look great. i was struggling to come up with a way to get all three letters to intertwine properly, getting it balanced was that one step further i couldn't really find. even tried "GCFC" at one point but that was a bit trickier.
Yep, Carlton's isn't balanced either but it's definitely not as noticable :)
It doesn't necessarily have to be a letter that fills the space. As cringy as it could be, even a little sun icon could work to fill up the space on that side?

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Theres alot of good designs in this thread.
Would anyone be willing to take a crack at designing a logo for the GCSUNSCAST?

Id like to pull it out from under my own 32bitshane brand and make it easier for fans to find a gold coast suns podcast.

Top Bottom