Discussion Logos that need to be updated

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
How about a whole new look? Here's my attempt.
View attachment 764124
I just saw that on reddit. It’s alright. I agree with Devo though. There’s way too much history with the current crest for it to be thrown by the wayside. Given how it removes some of the connotations with Christianity, I could see something like that becoming a secondary logo though.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I personally think St Kilda's is one of the blandest logos I've seen, even for traditional shields. I don't see anything timeless or appealing about it, but I guess if their fans like it, that's the main thing.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
So I've been working on this other Saints design for the better part of two years.
I really wanted it to be a symbol of strength an unity, and wanted something unique that noone else had seen before.
stk_power.jpg

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
I personally think St Kilda's is one of the blandest logos I've seen, even for traditional shields. I don't see anything timeless or appealing about it, but I guess if their fans like it, that's the main thing.
You are welcome to think that, but the shield has an incredible story behind it and is nearly 90 years old, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
Hey Rickee do you have any sources on the history of it? I'm interested!
The Saints’ triumph over North Melbourne at Junction Oval was to be engrained in the very ethos of the club, which saw them hold on to victory after ending the game with just 15 men on the field.

The match epitomised the underdog St Kilda’s never-say-die attitude, with one football reporter writing at the time:

Nothing finer nor more inspiring than St Kilda's magnificent win against overwhelming odds has been witnessed at the seaside oval within living memory of the oldest member of the club. It was a superb exhibition of indomitable pluck, stamina and steadfastness of purpose.
The noble display, which was likened to “a battle rather than a game” in the Argus newspaper, warranted commemoration in the eyes of then St Kilda President, Fred Arlington-Burke, who commissioned medals for the players and coach in honour of the stirring victory.

Each medal was adorned with the St Kilda crest, cementing its place in the club’s identity forever

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Even though our logo is only a couple of years old, I would like to see a few minor changes made to it.
1. 'NORTH' needs to be smaller and 'MELBOURNE' needs to be larger.
2. The text needs to be flattened (remove the curve) and shouldn't protrude out from the shield as much it does.
3. I'd like to see 'est. 1869' inside the shield, near the bottom.
In my honest opinion, you can't have a historic marker of 'est. 1869' with that crappy logo where the only focus for the design is to appeal to kids to support the club. It would just look out of place to me, personally..

In my honest opinion, you can't have a historic marker of 'est. 1869' with that crappy logo where the only focus for the design is to appeal to kids to support the club. It would just look out of place to me, personally..
Richmond do

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Even if it's nothing drastic, we could do with an update.

I saw this:

View attachment 756415

Looks so much better than our current one.
I get the grey is there to make the bomber more realistic, but it isn't a part of our colour scheme.

I actually really like the Bombers logo. It's clean, it's marketable, etc. In saying that, it does look good as just black and red!

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If that was the purpose of the new logo they would've kept the previous one with the cuter kangaroo. It's supposed to resemble the Roo-sistance logo. I like it, it's stronger and angrier than the other one and "NORTH MELBOURNE" is front and centre instead of "KANGAROOS." It's simple and it looks good on merchandise.

the club also uses this other logo for historical purposes and I prefer that to having one logo that has a foot in each camp.
1571450155606.png

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
If that was the purpose of the new logo they would've kept the previous one with the cuter kangaroo. It's supposed to resemble the Roo-sistance logo. I like it, it's stronger and angrier than the other one and "NORTH MELBOURNE" is front and centre instead of "KANGAROOS." It's simple and it looks good on merchandise.

the club also uses this other logo for historical purposes and I prefer that to having one logo that has a foot in each camp.
View attachment 767621
Yes that's all well and good but the composition of the thing is still terrible. The kangaroo head is alright, I don't like the way they integrated it though, especially the left side of the kangaroo. So much empty space there.
The WordArt North text shaping is so unnecessary as well. Keep the font as it is - bold, but just text in a horizontal line. "North" bigger than "Melbourne".
And then that "shield"... Yikes.
Now put "Est. 1869" to prove my earlier point :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Gcsuns_Gourami

Debutant
Oct 13, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We need to find a new Gold Coast logo. I like the idea of a oval shape with GC in it and everything that we have now when there's no shading but in the past its been crap. And please decide, do we put suns belowit or not make up your mind

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
So I've been working on this other Saints design for the better part of two years.
I really wanted it to be a symbol of strength an unity, and wanted something unique that noone else had seen before.
View attachment 764406

Aside from the obvious Port resemblance, it also reminds me of São Paulo FC

63698532-37D8-438A-88FD-A87C74710A64.jpeg

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
We need to find a new Gold Coast logo. I like the idea of a oval shape with GC in it and everything that we have now when there's no shading but in the past its been crap. And please decide, do we put suns belowit or not make up your mind
I don't think the GCS logo is too bad personally, it could be better but what I would do is focus on creating the identity with the jumper first and foremost, then let the logo come afterward once the foundation of an identity as been established.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont mind the gc logo as an overal concept, as long as there arent a lot of graphic design tricks being used (like the shading) For me i prefer the logo without the nickname, with the nickname being identified subliminally through the logo itself (or something broad that can be kinda easily worked out)

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Not afl related but i would like to see an update of the central coast badge.

Back